Detroit River Fishing

The Great Detroit Flood of 2014 resulted from the second largest downpour in Detroit history. It closed several expressways and poured into thousands of Metro Detroit basements. The 4.72 inches of rain was the highest daily recorded rainfall since July 31, 1925, when 4.74 inches of rain fell. What went wrong? Could it have been prevented?

READ MORE »

New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?

AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Default Discoverer 25 Motorhome - Rectrans - Brighton, MI

Hello, I just wondered if anyone remembers the Discoverer 25 Motorhomes that were sold around 1971 - 1973. Rectrans, Inc., the company that produced them was started by Bunkie Knudsen and Larry Shinoda. The plant was located at 800 Whitney Ave. in Brighton, the site of the old Kar Kraft plant and the previous Vagabond Coach Co. They were sold at various auto dealers including Clohecy Pontiac, Superior Pontiac, etc. Does anybody have any memories of these? Any former Rectrans employees out there? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had forgotten about the history of the Rectrans, a futuristic looking vehicle if there ever was one. There are some people who still covet this dreamboat. I think at the time people either went wild for it, or thought it looked ridiculous. It was very streamlined, and built on the Dodge M300 chassis, still a state of the art combination.

There is a club, of course:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...r25byrectrans/

Here's a better photo that may jog some memories:
    Attached Images Attached Images