Can someone set me straight on Atlas Shrugged?

Honestly, I've been a pretty voracious reader for my entire life. I read The Gulag Archipelago [[all three volumes) from cover to cover, I have tons of books all over my house and if my library card were a frequent flyer card, I'd have enough miles accrued to travel the world 10 times over.

Notwithstanding, I just can't get through Atlas Shrugged.

I've read critiques on Rand and her philosophy, reviews of her works, including Atlas Shrugged, and other associated content. So one day in an airport in Europe, I picked up a copy of Atlas Shrugged. I figured I was going to be on an airplane for at least the next 20+ hours, so why not see for myself what all this John Gault stuff was all about?

I started reading the book before the plane was in the air, but really couldn't get into it. Kept trying to read it, but found myself re-reading some passages because it just wasn't keeping my interest. I found myself nodding off quite a bit, so eventually I put it down and read the other books I'd brought with me.

I tried to pick it back up several times back at home during the spring and summer, but really just couldn't get too far into it then either. Took it with me back across the ocean a second time and tried several times to get back into it, but really couldn't.

I've read all sorts of books on political and economic thinking to challenge my personal beliefs and have no problem reading and thinking about ideas that do not comport with my own. Nevertheless, I can't get through Atlas Shrugged to save my life. I find it shallow, boring and inane.

Am I missing something here? Do I need to press on to get to the good part that has not seemed to come thus far? Are there some assumptions I need to embrace before I can properly appreciate this book?

Not trying to insult any Rand fans here, but I just don't get what all the fuss is about........