Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Define real art........ please the floor is all yours...........
    Anything not created using cinder blocks as your canvas.

Interesting so you believe that street art is not real art?

Anything created by man and nature is art. Just surprised that somebody thinks a birdcage painted on a cinder block wall is worth 75 grand.

Ravine Guest

I think the entire thing is entirely subjective. Everybody has their own "I can't tell you what it is, or isn't, but I know it when I see it" view about "art."
    Speaking for myself, I see Banksy's stuff as "craft." If it's "art" to someone else, well, for them it is art, then, and all of this is too personal to be debated.
    Same with music. No two people hear a piece of music the same way. It's not what it is, it's what it is to you.

What I have seen of Banksy has been dull, two-dimensional, minimalist to a fault. It's not creative graffiti, it's too minimalist to be folk art - it has little creativity that makes contemporary art appealing, it provokes no thought or reaction. Well, yawning is a reaction.

This is just my opinion. I wouldn't pay 75c for any Banksy that I have seen. I do have some original art in my home, mostly by local artists, contemporary pieces since they are my preference.

I hope that it sells well [[$75k - I don' t know), just so the fools that powerwashed off the other one by Wayne State can see what they could have had.

So let's see:

There doesn't appear to be any proof that this is from the Packard Plant.
    If it is from the Packard Plant, there's no proof that the seller is authorized to sell it.
    No proof that this is the same thing Banksy painted.
    No proof that Banksy painted the original [[there's a similar picture on his website, which proves nothing except that there's a picture of something similar on his website)

$75,000 for a piece of art with absolutely no bona fides. Good deal!

[[I'm not saying that isn't legit, but when spending that much money usually you get quite a bit of proof that it's authentic)

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I think the entire thing is entirely subjective. Everybody has their own "I can't tell you what it is, or isn't, but I know it when I see it" view about "art."
    Speaking for myself, I see Banksy's stuff as "craft." If it's "art" to someone else, well, for them it is art, then, and all of this is too personal to be debated.
    Same with music. No two people hear a piece of music the same way. It's not what it is, it's what it is to you.
    Now, if you replace the last two letters of "craft" with the letter p, you may be on the right track.

I think his stuff is interesting... But I would also love the opportunity to spray paint some of my own art on his house.

I read that Banksy will deny being the artist of any piece that is removed, which kinda takes away a lot of perceived value.

I know someone hired security guards round the clock to keep that canary, after a few days the piece was gone as well as security. I tried like hell to get in and see it before it was removed..

Where did you read that? That he would deny painting them if they were removed? Curious

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2