Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No thank you. For 75 grand I'd much rather buy some real art.

Ravine Guest

Did they mean $7.50?

Stosh Guest

I think the cinder blocks are worth more than the stencil sprayed on them.

This one was removed by the apparent owners of the Packard Plant, right? Here's what they have to say about their property:

"Today the plant is considered the largest abandoned industrial site in the country. It is a massive 40 acres of industrial space, and it's basically open for thieves, scrappers, squatters, urbanists, and graffiti artists to frequent."

This better be a joke. Whoever's "selling" a piece of a wall knows damn well it doesn't belong to them.
    I know the "I remember when this was all trees" piece was removed, but I don't know about the birdcage.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    This one was removed by the apparent owners of the Packard Plant, right? Here's what they have to say about their property:

"Today the plant is considered the largest abandoned industrial site in the country. It is a massive 40 acres of industrial space, and it's basically open for thieves, scrappers, squatters, urbanists, and graffiti artists to frequent."
    I don't know that these people are the owners of the site, so to say that is what "they" say about "their" property isn't quite accurate.

I wonder if these are reproductions? You would think that others would have been discovered at the same time. Or maybe they were, and dismantled brick by brick by others. I don't know the circumstances of the painting of these, and totally unverifiable, not to mention not worth 75K.

so, what would be the reply is the seller was asked how he/she acquired this work of art.... how did they come into posession, what is their proof of claim of ownership of this work?

Could you ever picture this scenario:

Someone breaks into a foreclosed home in Bloomfield Hills, steals the granite countertops, then lists them on Ebay to sell, and declares the street address of the house they were pried from so everyone knows it's wide open.

Then when asked why he stole the granite countertop, he says it was to protect it from being stolen by scrappers.

Explain that?

So who painted the cat looking for the bird after the bird was removed? Did Banksy come back?

Nope. It was all one piece. They managed to mangle the work of art while, errr..... "preserving" it. Ironic, huh?

Or, in other words, they vandalized the vandalism?

The Packard is being sealed off right now, starting with the north side perimeter. The facade is already wooded over, and they have light rigs on the grounds for night work. More armed guards.

Now would be the time for some smart person to Use the publicity and controversy to make a gallery out of the site. Imagine cleaning it enuff to be safe but leaving it pretty much as is as a outdoor gallery like setting. Sculptures, murals, fountains .... of course it would have to be secured, and yes Im just a dumb creative type and ready for all the reasons "why not to"....Just dreaming and talking aloud

commercialize it if you have to.... open a "banksey burger" and a "packard pub" if you have to...

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4638

Photos of the plywood perimeter seal - in progress.

HERE IS MY QUESTION NOW:

Remember way back when the "owner" chopped the entry doors and lintels off the facade and sold them ? Well who the hell said they could sell parts of the building, any more than a chopped spray painting ? Do you get to do these things simply by hiring private security and helping yourself, while declaring yourself "owner for a day" ?

Only to run and hide under a rock when the tax bill comes or a fire breaks out. . . . .

From dETROITfUNK:

A flurry of activity at the Packard Plant today, as a hasty attempt is made to secure the perimeter of the north side with plywood panels.

That dude in the red isn't doing anything in a "flurry".

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    From dETROITfUNK:

That dude in the red isn't doing anything in a "flurry".
    Maybe that's what he had for lunch? Can't say I know of any ice cream places around either. Maybe he's the blockade?

lmao..........!

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4638

Photos of the plywood perimeter seal - in progress.

HERE IS MY QUESTION NOW:

Remember way back when the "owner" chopped the entry doors and lintels off the facade and sold them ? Well who the hell said they could sell parts of the building, any more than a chopped spray painting ? Do you get to do these things simply by hiring private security and helping yourself, while declaring yourself "owner for a day" ?

Only to run and hide under a rock when the tax bill comes or a fire breaks out. . . . .

He was PART owner

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    No thank you. For 75 grand I'd much rather buy some real art.
    Define real art........ please the floor is all yours...........

Anybody report it to Ebay yet as stolen property?

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Define real art........ please the floor is all yours...........

im partial to the Nagel poster prints....

also, anything in black velvet, but predominantly elvis portraits are nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Anybody report it to Ebay yet as stolen property?
    I did. And I sent the guy a message. I think we all should. It's ridiculous. And not that I am in love with Bansky. it's just really ridiculous that someone would try to sell a stolen wall with graffiti on it.

BTW after this birdcage was taken I think banksy did come back, or someone that does similar work and paint a few more according to this guys pictures. but who knows... ***These are not my pictures***

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr-phot...n/photostream/
    Last edited by adamjab19; August-11-10 at 07:52 AM.

I agree with what has been said about auxionjunction perhaps not being the legal owner of the piece, and with the destruction of the piece by virtue of its removal, but I don't agree that the piece is necessarily overvalued. Banksy's stuff is pretty cool on its own, and this is a piece out of the Packard plant - which may not be the Israeli security barrier, but it's not just a random London street corner either, there's a whole story to tell there, with parts that put the canary in a whole new light [[as has been mentioned). I don't have the $75k to spend, and if I did, I wouldn't spend it on art work, but you've got to figure the art market as a whole would be intrigued.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast