Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Greynoodle.....
    .....love it. Hadn't heard the term since "Don't Californicate Colorado" bumper stickers were popular in the mid 70's.

Michigander. Michiganian is dull.

However, there are definitely some Michigoons out there.

Urban legend says we're Michi-ganoogians.

I didn't give up being an "Ohioan" just to become a "Michiganian."

Nope, I'm a Michigander.

I am for Michiganian. Michigander sounds an awful lot like meshugener; which is yiddish for crazy.

I have been a good old Detroit Michigander all my life and will die a Michigander.

michigander

LOL! How's about "Snow Birds" as we are sometimes referenced as by southerners!
    Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    black tag people. The term Texans used to describe Michigan refugees in the early 80s.

Michigander implies carnal knowledge of winged wildlife.

Michiganian implies ethnic roots in Armenia.

As in bud light? LOL! Too many people still think Michigan is just fly over country with folks in the woods toting their rifles and clutching a cold one.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Maybe just a M-ite? Keep it simple?

Michite?

Yeah I tend towards Michigander I suppose......
    Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    While I think Michigander sounds like some sort of male goose native to the state, I'm good with either. It beats being called an Ohioan by a long shot

I would vote for Mittener.

I seem to recall a publicity campaign by the state, perhaps in the early 1970s, featuring a cartoon gander trying to convince Michigan residents that we were Michiganders.

Even though I'm now an EX-[[whichever), I always preferred "Michigander."

My problem with calling someone who is a resident of a state or city whatever they're called is that the name used often changes the pronunciation of the state or city in most cases, with one exception being if your are a New Yorker. Also, like New York, if the name of the state or city ends in a consonant, why not just add "er" to it and call it a day? Someone from Michigan is a Michiganer. Someone from Boston is a Bostoner. Someone from Houston is a Houstoner. Bostonian makes it sound like you're from a city called Bostone or Bostonia. The suffix "ite" is another acceptable ending if the city or state ends in a consonant. Bostonite and Houstonite are acceptable. I'm sorry but I'm not crazy about Michigander or Michiganian because we don't live in the state of Michigand or Michigania.

Michigander. I, too, never heard of Michiganian before this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    My problem with calling someone who is a resident of a state or city whatever they're called is that the name used often changes the pronunciation of the state or city in most cases, with one exception being if your are a New Yorker. Also, like New York, if the name of the state or city ends in a consonant, why not just add "er" to it and call it a day? Someone from Michigan is a Michiganer. Someone from Boston is a Bostoner. Someone from Houston is a Houstoner. Bostonian makes it sound like you're from a city called Bostone or Bostonia. The suffix "ite" is another acceptable ending if the city or state ends in a consonant. Bostonite and Houstonite are acceptable. I'm sorry but I'm not crazy about Michigander or Michiganian because we don't live in the state of Michigand or Michigania.
    Ha, the world laughs at your attempt to impose reason and order upon it!

The debate of Michiganian vs. Michigander was brought to the public's attention about a decade ago or so when the state legislature wanted to change the offical reference to the state's citizenship to Michiganian. It got quite a lot of debate not only in the local media but also in the legislature itself.....Tradition vs. proper. According to our discussion on this forum...What is proper?

What's good for the Michigoose is good for the Michigander!

What's good for the Michigoose is good for the Michigander![/quote]

LOL! Just got two good belly laughs from your bottom quote, kellyroad.

gander fo sho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2