Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Redwings

Ya, it was not pretty last night. I kept flipping to watch the Boston/Montreal game, lots of action there, even a goalie fight.

Just saw the national game on NBC featuring our Wings taking on old school Boston [[who says the Original Six hockey isn't the best?) for the second half of a home & home series. We chased Tuukka Rask ther other night in Boston and I wouldn't exactly say we had our way with Tim Thomas, but I thought it was a good two games to get our feet back under us again.

For whatever reason the Wings weren't lighting the lamp enough. Todd Bertuzzi was a monster in both games getting some pretty ugly goals but sometimes those are the sort of fluky goals that keeps teams in it and gets the team shooting again. The behind the net goal off of Rask's foot & helmet the other night was wonderful and the stand alone in front of Thomas today was great. They're not highlight goals by any stretch but they're necessary in the span of a long season.

The one miniscule stat that I hope the Wings will continue is keeping the opposition's shot total low. Boston fired 25 at Jimmy Howard today and had 26 the game before. I think for this team to succeed is to return to the days of a strong defense [[getting Stuart back will help) in front of their goalie. While I think Jimmy Howard is more than a capable goalie, I still think team defense is key to any long stretches in the playoffs. That defense has got to come from the forwards back checking and the defense standing up to the people crashing the nets and working down low.

I've never questioned the team transition from defend to attack mode but again, this is where the defense needs to be staunch and strip the other team of the puck immediately and head man the puck up ice. Our first pass out of the zone is still amazing- and heck if I don't love seeing speedsters like Darren Helm launch in on the opposing team's goalie on those breakaways! If that kid ever gets a scoring touch he could be deadly with that speed. I hope he becomes more than this generation's version of Kris Draper- who is still an amazing skater and forechecker but he could never bury the puck as much as I'd like.

There's still plenty of hockey to be played but it was nice to see Detroit take on a pretty decent Boston team and do more than just hold their own. It seems as though the Wings are on the upswing again.

@ Smogboy:

Jimmy Howard saved 38 out of 40 shots tonight vs TBLight. Not quite the team defense we saw in 2007-08, but still the type of goaltending we all can hope for going into the stretch. Announcers said Det did a great job on D 2nite, however 40 shots is a little too much IMO.

Good to see a nice blend of scoring too with Datsyuk grabbing two of them. I'm seriously hoping for a late season W run, even though we're not in terrible shape at this point.

BTW - Tampa was my dark horse this year. What's not to like about them?

I felt bad for the Tampa players, that was like a Wings home game. Had to be an embarrassment for Yzerman, too. Speaking of Yzerman, and I think I mentioned this before, how did we not get anything from Tampa for him? He received paid training under the likes of Holland, Nill and Devellano. These guys are the very best in the league. We got nothing for him. Should have at least got a draft pick or a bag of pucks.

Thats not unusual as the Wings have fans everywhere , especially in Florida where many Michiganders spend winters . Stevie Y played out his contract as a player and retired . Front office is a whole new ballgame and not subject to trades etc with other clubs . Stevie Y is like a son to Mr. I and he '' created '' a position for him in the Wings front office . There were no hard feelings when he left for Tampa Bay . I believe that some day Stevie Y will be back , he's always welcome here .

I was very disappointed in Babcocks decision to bench Drew Miller in Saturdays game against Buffalo. He really wanted to play against his brother Ryan and his whole family was there. Why embarrass the kid. He would have played his balls off. There were plenty of other options than making Miller a healthy scratch.

Wow! Fire Jonathon Erricson immediately. What a brutal game for him tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I was very disappointed in Babcocks decision to bench Drew Miller in Saturdays game against Buffalo. He really wanted to play against his brother Ryan and his whole family was there. Why embarrass the kid. He would have played his balls off. There were plenty of other options than making Miller a healthy scratch.

+1

A frickin' shame.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    +1

A frickin' shame.
    As much as I loathe to criticize Mike Babcock [[because he does make these guys better), I have to jump onboard this one as well. It was going to be Drew Miller's only chance to face Ryan this year. It's not like Miller was such the detriment to the team either. He's playing on the fourth line and it wasn't like he was going to see a ton of ice time any way.

There are times when sentiment and the human element of giving him a chance to play against his brother over rule coaching acumen. This was also for their parents to have some pride in their accomplishments. It wasn't a good move for Babs.

The last two games of watching Pavel Datsyuk do his patented "dangle dangle dangle- shoot" move has been an absolute joy to watch. Seriously he is like watching Barry Sanders in the backfield. He's just magical with what he can do with that puck control. Against two Blues defenders he eluded them and made the lone defenseman in front of Halek choose between defending him or Franzen parked to the side. His two game winning shots haven't been blistering hard but for those that have ever played the game- a good solid wrist shot like his is probably the toughest to defend.

Cherish Datsyuk because we might never see anyone as gifted as he is on the ice for a long time to come. What we're witnessing now is something truly special.

He's truly amazing. Datsyuk alone is worth the price of admission. I'd pay to watch him practice.

Yes and yes.

I didn't like the way Nashville pushed us around. I wish we still had Aaron Downey in the system so we could bring him up next time we play them.

I hope the Wings tighten up their play in the defensive zone, way to many un-forced turnovers against the Hawks. I hate to rag on the refs but they were awful. The no call on Holmstroms breakaway is usually a penalty shot these days. The interference on Hank along the boards negated a clean 2 on 1 break and thats been called all the time, but not here. And then he gets a cheap hooking call that was not a scoring chance that carries to OT. Giving a team a 4 on 3 in OT is almost like giving them a goal. I thought Berts hit was a 2 min elbowing penalty, but with all the stuff going on lately they booted him. I've said it before, the real issue is the hard plastic body armor elbow pads and the seamless glass, which thankfully the Joe does not have.
    Last edited by Downriviera; March-29-11 at 04:54 PM.

I didn't like the way Nashville pushed us around. I wish we still had Aaron Downey in the system so we could bring him up next time we play them.
    Nashville has pretty much owned the Wings this season. I'm starting to worry that the Wings might have to play them in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Nashville has pretty much owned the Wings this season. I'm starting to worry that the Wings might have to play them in the first round.
    Nashville definitely goes down on the list of teams I would not like to face in the first round. Included on that list is San Jose, Vancouver, Dallas and Anaheim. Anybody else please!!!

BTW - Liking what Joey MacDonald has brought to the ice for us. Will there be another last minute emergence of a #1 goalie in Detroit? It's happened before.

BBTW - Liking what Darren Helm is doing as well. This guy continues to solidify his role on our team. He also makes Draper play stronger. Good stuff from this line in all around.

Joey's been huge between the pipes , I was kinda disappointed to lose that option when he was in GR and signed with the Maple Laffs , but we got him back . Its now or never for Joey since he's getting up there in age and by the looks of it he's up for the task . If we don't sign a top goalie in the offseason , he could very well take over Ozzie's spot if he retires .
    Could you imagine our team without Helm ? He certainly is a ball of energy and makes the other team on a pp think twice about pinching in their D
    When we work hard in their end , the corners , we spend less time in our end , draw penalties , score . And we need to score more and spend less time in our end . We're not a physical team , but the playoffs get more physical , there is enough veterans on our team that know this . I notice # 55 hasn't Kronwalled as much this season , no doubt to keep off the injury list , that will change in the playoffs .

I had a feeling the Wings might be emotionally drained after the tight game with Chicago, but I wasn't expecting a 10 goal laugher. Hey, at least no one got hurt.

Hey, at least no one got hurt.
    That was about the only positive to be pulled from that POS game played the other night. I hope Babcock gave them all the day after scowl and busted their asses for playing so piss poor against the Blues.

I might have to get myself a Bertuzzi jersey. He continues to impress me. Todd made a statement to the Preds and let them know they weren't pushing us around anymore by dropping the gloves with their tough guy O'Brien twice. You could see a big lift in the team after that. And he shouldn't be fighting because he has a bad back and Bettman and the refs watch him like a hawk since the Steve Moore incident. He makes great plays, scores, dangles, has soft hands, hits and fights. I look for him to be big for us in the playoffs.

I might have to get myself a Bertuzzi jersey. He continues to impress me. Todd made a statement to the Preds and let them know they weren't pushing us around anymore by dropping the gloves with their tough guy O'Brien twice. You could see a big lift in the team after that. And he shouldn't be fighting because he has a bad back and Bettman and the refs watch him like a hawk since the Steve Moore incident. He makes great plays, scores, dangles, has soft hands, hits and fights. I look for him to be big for us in the playoffs.

Ya know, I sit and ponder who really doesn't need to be big for us come playoff time. If we are to make a big run, at least 80% of our team needs to find their best gameplay. The other 20% should be playing at or near ok.

I do agree the Bert had an incredible game against the preds, but so did that entire line. My roomie couldn't say enough about that line of Abdel/Bert/Franzen. It's gritty, with size and scoring prowess. I look at this entire line to continue their push into the playoffs.

BTW- It's great to have Pavel back. For 1,345,874 reasons.

Pavel is back , Hank is out , our D is suspect , and we aren't scoring goals . Not a good recipe for a long playoff run .

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Pavel is back , Hank is out , our D is suspect , and we aren't scoring goals . Not a good recipe for a long playoff run .
    I couldn't agree more. Jimmy Howard is going to need to play lights out to keep us in games and motivate the players in front of him. Babcock is going to need to coach the team out of this slump. And we still need a couple White Knights to step up and get it going.

I was so hoping we would play the spoiler role for Chicago, but oh well.

Phoenix? Bring it on.

We're going to have to beat you without the likes of Henrik Zetterberg from the looks of it but I guess that's the burden we have to bear.

Well the Coyotes are talking trash, saying the Wings are scared of them. I don't think so. Wings in 6, maybe even 5. Coyotes only chance is if the refs get crazy like last years series with the Sharks. If Franzen get bloodied again with a high stick thats not called I'm gonna lose it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast