Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Redwings

Tough break on this one. Now we're without Stuart for a given amount of time.

I like how Babs did not hold back his feelings on the hit in a post game interview. You know when he's fired up that the league will take a good look at it.

Brad Stuart is out 6-8 weeks .
    Study the video and decide dirty or not ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVx7xOD4Jd0

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Brad Stuart is out 6-8 weeks .
    Study the video and decide dirty or not ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVx7xOD4Jd0

Dirty. Str8 up.

A few comments on tonights game vs. Vancouver.
    • I am reminded of how much I hate basketball in general. It takes 10 minutes out of the first period to watch the last 75 seconds of a Pistons game. They almost blew it too. Any game that finishes like this is barely sport IMO. Fox, you screwed up as well. Air the better team from now on. Btw - the Palace looked under 40% full. Next.
    • Kudos to Jimmy Howard. That's why you're our number one here in Detroit bud.
    • I was happy to steal one point from the Canucks at the end of regulation. Two points on the road is absolutely amazing given our lineup. What a road trip this is shaping up to be.
    • Bert, Z, Helmer and Lids with exceptional efforts this evening. Can't really say anyone in particular had a substandard game at all. It took a team effort. That's the ticket to winning playoff games and Cups. Good job all around.
    • Homer also had a tough ride tonight vs. Bieska in front of the net. Thumbs up to Homer on the painstaking effort to battle that matchup. Bieska is a grizzly dude.
    • Are not Murph and Ken Daniels the best announcing duo in the league? These guys make watching the wings a treat. Great insight, humor and review. Don't get me wrong - I like Mickey. But too much Homerism is not a good thing. You should see Murph on the NHL network too. He is far superior to any of the other "special guests" like Bobby [[can't speak) Holik. Yikes!
    • This injury bug is getting way out of hand. We're missing some serious firepower now. Watching this team reinvent ways to win against proven teams is borderline magic.
    Thanks Detroit Red Wings for some of the best hockey watching once again!

Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos was given a six-game suspension by the NHL on Sunday for his head shot on Red Wings defenceman Brad Stuart.
    Stuart was injured during the third period of Detroit's 5-4 shootout victory at Calgary on Friday night. He's expected to be sidelined for at least six weeks.
    "Kostopoulos delivered a blow to the head of an unsuspecting and vulnerable player," NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell said in a statement. "As well, he targeted the head of his opponent and, while the hit was not from the blindside, the head was the principle point of contact."
    Campbell also said the fact that Stuart was not in possession of the puck at the time was a factor in his decision.
    Kostopoulos and acting Flames general manager Jay Feaster released a statement maintaining the team's position that the hit was legal and thus the suspension unwarranted.
    "I'm extremely disappointed in the League's ruling as I believe I have not done anything illegal," said Kostopoulos. "I'm sorry that Brad was hurt on the play and I hope he returns to play soon, but it was never my intention to injure him and I definitely did not target the head."
    The Red Wings called for the league to come down hard on Kostopoulos, with Detroit head coach Mike Babcock saying Saturday, "If you make a stand hard enough when this stuff happens, this stuff won't happen."
    Babcock also called Kostopoulos' hit "really disappointing" and "a needless play."
    Kostopoulos will forfeit US$29,569.92 in salary. The hit came in the first full season in which the NHL is handing out discipline for head shots.
    A Kostopoulos elbow also sidelined Minnesota's Nick Schultz with a concussion earlier this season.

Congratulations to Ken Daniels, Michigan Sportscaster of the Year.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=548941

Dirty for sure, he went straight to the head.

Regardless of what the penalty was- whether it was six games or what I thought was going to be ten games, what bothered me was the lack of remorse.

"I'm extremely disappointed in the league's ruling as I believe I have not done anything illegal. I'm sorry that Brad was hurt on the play and I hope he returns to play soon, but it was never my intention to injure him and I definitely did not target the head. I maintain that I delivered a legal check to an opponent playing the puck. While I am upset with the league's decision, I will serve the suspension in preparation for my return to the lineup to help my team."

Where's the remorse there? It sounds as though he's sorry for Brad Stuart not being tough enough to take one of his cheap shots.

Gee, I wonder if Nick Schultz who he knocked out earlier this season feels the same way. This was not Kostopoulos' first go at this sort of behavior. What I saw was a blow to the head because Stuart's body spun after the hit. If it had been a legal blow to the body, the head would've moved after the hit. Colin Campbell really does need to come down harder on these sorts of plays- it's not good for the sport and really encourages other lesser skilled players to run at their opponents.
    Last edited by smogboy; January-11-11 at 05:28 AM.

Well, 3 outta 4 points against a struggling Blue jacket team is tolerable in our home and away contest. I have to give it to the Wings because:

A: Their depth is severely depleted
    B: They fought their way back into Fridays contest.
    C: The goalie situation is absolutely rediculous. Who do the Griffins have now? My cat?
    D: 3 outta 4 points is always good I guess.
    E: That Nash is nototrious for being a Wing killer. His late goal earned them a point.

Can't give enough respect to Bert on here. He, among some others, has been incredible.

I remember last season when we had what , 8 regulars out of the lineup at the same time and went on a great run racking up points anyways with our youngsters filling in . We were the talk of the NHL , well we're always the talk of the NHL , other teams wished they had our problems lol 4 more games until the all-star break , our players will get a rest , other players will heal , and hopefully a good Cup run with rested players and a parade .

We almost lost both goalies in the same game the other night. If that would have happened, a forward or Dman would have to don the pads. Who would be your choice on the Wings?

Default Goalie situation

Am I the only one who thinks that the Red Wings should make some sort of move to get another goalie?
    Let's face it, can we really count on Osgood at this point in his career?
    I honestly believe that Howard is just a slightly-above-average goalie. Too many soft goals that put added pressure on our offense.
    While Mcdonald has done an admirable job, is he really the answer?
    I think if we had a "shut-down" goalie our road to the finals would be so much easier given our team's talent and determination.
    I do not know who might be available, but I believe if we are really serious about winning the cup this year obtaining something better than we have should be a priority?
    Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

I never thought about getting another goalie , but apparently we signed former Guppies ummmm Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov for slightly over a half million . NHL rules state that if a player leaves the NHL to play outside N.America [[he played part of this season in the KHL/Russia) he must be put on waivers for 24 hours [[today at noon until tomorrow at noon) . He must clear waivers to seal the deal with the Wings . Rules also state that a player in this situation must stay with the NHL club who signs him , the player cannot be sent down to the minors . This move is an '' insurance '' move by the Wings for the playoffs as Ozzie will be out a couple more months at least . Nabokov is the Sharks goalie who helped bump us out of the playoffs so he's capable evn though his numbers weren't that good in the KHL .

Default Nabokov

I think Nabokov would be a definite upgrade to what we have now.
    Not including last night, it seems like we have always been playing from behind. This may or may not be the goalies fault, but when you can elimate the "soft" goals you give your team a chance. And when Datsyuk, Holmstrom and Cleary return, so will our offensive firepower. An addition of an above average goalie would be fantastic.
    With that said, it is probably unlikely Nabokov will clear waivers enough for the Wings to get him. Even though our team is respected throughout the league, don't think for a minute some other team wouldn't love to stick it to us.
    Additionally, it would help if our defense could kick it up a notch. We are seeing too many turnovers in the defensive zone that turn into goals. Very seldom do I see Salai making a good play. Bad penalties have cost us. Positives have been the play of Helm and Zetterberg. Hudler seems to be playing better and I wish Franzen was a little more consistent.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get Nabbie, it'll make for an exciting stretch run.

lincoln8740 Guest

Jefferson you post on the 18th that the wings should makes some goaltending moves then two days later they make three goaltending moves. It begs the question-Are you Ken Holland? BTW waiver rules are bullshit

Default Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Jefferson you post on the 18th that the wings should makes some goaltending moves then two days later they make three goaltending moves. It begs the question-Are you Ken Holland? BTW waiver rules are bullshit
    Not quite, although I would love to have his salary.
    To me, it was obvious that with all of our injuries, our weaknesses such as goaltending, became more exposed. I was hoping we were going to pick up a goalie in the offseason after letting Conklin go. I'm not sure if he would have been the answer, but he did play well for us.
    I doubt if Nabokov will clear waivers as I hear several other teams are interested. But maybe this will be a wakeup call for Howard to pick up his game.
    I still think our defense needs to play better.
    Should be a good test today against the Hawks.

I hope you're wrong about today's game against Chicago being a good test.

The Wings and Nabokov reach agreement, providing he clears waivers. The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers. Nabokov now says he won't report to the Islanders. This is making quite a soap opera.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I hope you're wrong about today's game against Chicago being a good test.

The Wings and Nabokov reach agreement, providing he clears waivers. The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers. Nabokov now says he won't report to the Islanders. This is making quite a soap opera.
    So much for the Nabokov epic. It whimpered out and he won't report to the Islanders. I can't blame Garth Snow for wanting him because of his depleted goalie group there. I can't blame Nabokov for wanting to come to a contender either; alas it won't happen this season. Who knows? He still might have some snap in his game next season and he can be a viable and durable back-up to Jimmy Howard. Simply put, we just need a back-up goalie to spell Jimmy Howard a few games here and there. There's no debate who the #1 netminder is here, but even so- he needs a break here and there. I would not want to see what Calgary has done to Kiprusoff- where they play him 70+ games and he's spent by the time playoffs roll around.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    So much for the Nabokov epic. It whimpered out and he won't report to the Islanders. I can't blame Garth Snow for wanting him because of his depleted goalie group there. I can't blame Nabokov for wanting to come to a contender either; alas it won't happen this season. Who knows? He still might have some snap in his game next season and he can be a viable and durable back-up to Jimmy Howard. Simply put, we just need a back-up goalie to spell Jimmy Howard a few games here and there. There's no debate who the #1 netminder is here, but even so- he needs a break here and there. I would not want to see what Calgary has done to Kiprusoff- where they play him 70+ games and he's spent by the time playoffs roll around.
    Explain to me why the NYI have first go at Nabakov. Is he not a free agent coming from the KHL?

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Explain to me why the NYI have first go at Nabakov. Is he not a free agent coming from the KHL?
    From what I understand [[and someone please tell me if I'm wrong or way off base with this)- since Nabokov signed with a professional team prior to the beginning of the season, he had to get back into the waiver draft in order to be picked up by another team.

And how the Islanders got to pick Nabokov is based upon the draft order. Nabokov had to clear waivers in order to be picked up by the Wings who had a much lower seed in the draft based upon their previous season's record. Any team with a higher seeded draft could sign him and that's what Garth Snow did for his team. Again, from what I understand- this system is to prevent the better teams from just plucking disgruntled [[although immensely talented) players off of other teams and stockpiling their team. It gives pitiful teams like the Islanders [[oh how far they've dropped since the Bryan Trottier days) a chance to snag some talent to help them along.

What's bothersome about all this to me is that just recently the Islanders did have a solid goalie in Dwayne Roloson. Garth Snow traded him away to Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning where he's gone 7-3 since with three shut outs! I'm sure Dwayne Roloson is grinning ear to ear underneath his mask and thankful he's no longer playing for the Islanders now. But this is just indicative of how bad Garth Snow has done in his short stint as a GM; he also signed Rick DiPietro to a heinously long contract and he's had hip and knee issues. From what was once a proud franchise has spun horribly out of control.

What's tough right now for Nabokov is that the Islanders have suspended him for not reporting. His salary won't count against their cap this year but supposedly rather than becoming a free agent in July, the Islanders may toll the contract and make him sit out another year before he can hit the open market- in essence forcing his hand if he wants to make any money. Nabokov could be 37 before he straps on the skates to play in the NHL if the Isles decide to do this to him. By that time, the Red Wings window to sign him as a back-up goalie to Jimmy Howard might've passed him up.

I'll give Kenny Holland his due for trying to sign him but it also makes me wonder if he really wanted him. Granted with the salary cap restrictions, he couldn't offer a lot but if he really wanted Nabokov he could've torqued up the amount making it much more difficult for the other teams to sign him off the waiver wire. We'll see how this drama unfolds on Long Island and we'll most definitely keep cheering the Wings on as they make their march soon.

It's nice to see the All-Star Break come up and us getting some of the injured troops back into the mix. The fact that the Grand Rapids kids have come up here and made significant contributions speaks volumes of their skill and the future of this team. They've gained valuable experience and have kept the Wings well within contention without seriously dropping out of the scene. And how many teams in the NHL can lose their top forward [[Datsyuk), a top three defenseman [[Stuart), and some of their top firepower [[Holmstrom, Cleary & Modano) and still remain a force in their division? Even in this age of salary cap and wonky waiver wires, the Wings have still managed depth, talent and skill to be a top contender year after year.

You pretty much got it Smogboy.

What sucks about that rule is, someone like Peter Forsberg who has not played for a pro team since he "retired" can [[and probably will) go straight back to the Avs with zero issues with other teams.

TY Smogboy. I wasn't aware that Nabby had signed with another team before departing for Russia. What team was that btw? It wasn't the Isle, nor the Wings........ so who didn't need him - or could afford him for that matter?

Furthermore, your explanation makes sense with preventing collusion amongst players in the NHL. It is a slippery slope with the hometown deals some players take to play with a winning team [[Detroit a forerunner of this practice, but not bullies either) and the extended contracts designed to cincumvent the CBA.

I would hate to have an NHL Yankees team who more or less buys their way into the playoffs every year. That seems hollow and cheap to me. Kenny Holland has performed one checkmate after another over the years forming a strong roster for regular season and playoffs alike.

FWIW - Congrats Johan Franzen on your 5 goal evening in Ottawa. OUTSTANDING work sir!

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    TY Smogboy. I wasn't aware that Nabby had signed with another team before departing for Russia. What team was that btw? It wasn't the Isle, nor the Wings........ so who didn't need him - or could afford him for that matter?

He did not sign with another NHL team, but left the NHL for the Russian team.

And yes, congrats to Johan on his "Fratrick" !

Off of the Franzen five goal game- we've been shut out for the last two games now. Did we expend all of our offense in that one game? And watching the Nashville game with the full blown two minute 5 on 3, we looked toothless. I sure hope Mike Babcock can rally the troops and can put some snap back into the offense.

It makes me wonder if the team was hyped for the likes of Datsyuk and Holmstrom coming back and carrying this team a little bit- and when they didn't, they were deflated a little bit. Let's see how this team fares against the Rangers this Monday. I sure hope they bring some firepower because this isn't the vaunted Wings puck control team we've gotten used to seeing for the last decade or two.

Who were those guys last night. Reminded me of the dead wings. No pucks at practice today boys.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast