Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Mr. Paul's on Grosbeck never disappoints. Went a few weeks ago after not having been in about 10 years. Same great service and food. Several waitress' have been there since they opened in '68!
    Clawson Steak House is similar to it also. You might, additionally, want to check out Moro's in Allen Park.

First Mr Pauls!.... now Clawson Steak House!....

Yummo!

A eating we shall go!

Ahhh, Carl's. It was one of my parents' favorite restaurants and the place we usually went on special occasions. A lot of unions held their events there too, so my dad was in there a lot more often than we were. And in the late '70 and early '80s, before the real decline set in, I went to a lot of Tigers games with someone who was related to the Rosenfeld family that started the place, and so Carl's was our regular pre-game meeting place.

The decline was ugly and painful, particularly after the place was reopened and continued on for several years like some sort of zombie version of its former glory.

However, changing dining habits would probably have brought it down anyway in the end. It doesn't pass notice that most of the places recommended here as Carl's replacements are older establishments in now unfashionable suburbs with aging clienteles. While the city is now fairly bursting with "small plates" places and the younger, sleeker, version of a steakhouse for the new money crowd is something more like Roast or that joint in the MGM.

We went there in the 70’s for some holiday, or Mother’s Day, I don’t remember. I thought the carpet looked worn & the place just seemed tired when we walked in. I don’t recall what I had for dinner but do remember being surprised at the sad condition of the place that people raved about.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    We went there in the 70’s for some holiday, or Mother’s Day, I don’t remember. I thought the carpet looked worn & the place just seemed tired when we walked in. I don’t recall what I had for dinner but do remember being surprised at the sad condition of the place that people raved about.
    Agreed, although it always looked that way, even in its heyday, the food and service was second to none.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4