Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

when i was going to WSU, i always had to go to the Snelli Deli for a pastrami, fries and large pickle. anyone know if that place is still there?

Happy Hour burger at Roast.

And I'll second the schawarma at Bucharest.

Hot fudge sundae at Senate Sweet shop on Michigan Ave west of Livernois.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    when i was going to WSU, i always had to go to the Snelli Deli for a pastrami, fries and large pickle. anyone know if that place is still there?
    No more schneellis. They had several around town too. I used to get a corned beef with russian. I was shocked to find out years later after ordering it at other places like the Star that they were using French at Schnelli's. My salads were always with a vinagarette growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    No more schneellis. They had several around town too. I used to get a corned beef with russian. I was shocked to find out years later after ordering it at other places like the Star that they were using French at Schnelli's. My salads were always with a vinagarette growing up.
    I used to hit Schnelli's too. That place was like paying to get a sandwich your mom would put in your lunch bag in elementary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Dover Sole @ Joe Muers

Brown Trout @ Joe Muers

Coleslaw @ Joe Muers

Anything @ Joe Muers
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Probably my true answer for this question should be withheld, as it is improper for public discussion and the motel may have been outside of Detroit city limits, anyway.
    But does anybody remember a really small, very plain diner in Greektown called the International? The lamb & [[yellow) rice was so good that, over 30 years later, I still completely remember the flavor.
    Yeah, the International was really good and a true Greek Block Original along with the Laikon. It was replaced by a f#%*+g eyesore.

Corned beef sandwich @ Hygrade Deli; chorizo and egg burrito @ Honeybee; double cheeseburger @ Blimpy, Ann Arbor;

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Dover Sole @ Joe Muers

Brown Trout @ Joe Muers

Coleslaw @ Joe Muers

Anything @ Joe Muers
    At one time, back in the day I would agree with you. The last few years it was open I wouldn't agree, the food went way downhill. If it hadn't, there wouldnt be a vacant lot there now.

the Marinated Beef & Marinated Pork tacos at La Tapatia on Vernor

Someone already mentioned the Polish Village Cafe'. But also try the "Garlic Chicken Plate" A deep fried breast, mashed potatoes w/gravy, a little sour kraut and green beans. Wash it down with a "Boomba" -- frosted mug of cold beer.

I'd forgotten about the International in Greektown...was a great hole-in-the wall. As I remember, decent food.

Within Detroit city limits only, right? Vivid memories of deliciousness from establishments long gone:

1. Pizza, roast chicken at ROCKY'S

2. The entire menu at PHOENICIA [[oh, Highland Park...but still WITHIN Detroit)

3. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, blueberry pie, and chocolate milk at GREENFIELD'S

4. Cheeseburger at LINDELL AC

5. Spaghetti with garlic and oil [[I didn't like tomatoes when I was a kid!) at CARDINELLI'S

6. Pizza at SHIELD'S and MR. ED'S

7. Roast duckling at TURTLE SOUP INN

8. Almond boneless chicken at KOW KOW INN

9. Soft-shell crabs at PARADISO

10. Steak with zip sauce, minestrone, salad, lasagna, breadsticks at LELLI'S

11. Steak at LARCO'S

12. Fresh roast turkey at cafeteria-style place on 8 Mile whose name I'm blanking on

13. Hot pastrami on rye with mustard from MR. FOFO'S

14. Swanky franky and french fries at UNCLE JOHN'S PANCAKE HOUSE

Oh, and pizza at VINCENZO'S.

...and fried chicken at the BROADWAY MARKET downtown.

mrfinewine, that's quite a well thought out list.

12. Fresh roast turkey at cafeteria-style place on 8 Mile whose name I'm blanking on
    Any chance you're thinking of Haas on Gratiot and East Outer Drive? That was their speciality.

There was a Haas Roast Beef at 8 mile and Dequindre also.

Yes, Haas! On the Detroit side of 8 Mile.

Great lists! Some of the things on MrFineWine's list sound amazing...it's a shame young folks like me didn't have the chance to sample them. My dad waxes poetic about the korozott [[cheese spread) that he remembers at the Hungarian Village restaurant in Delray. We have tried many times but it's not quite right. I think they might have used a farmer's cheese/cream cheese blend. As for my tastiest treat in the D...Evie's tamales are way up there, a delicious berry and creme fraiche parfait at Opus One, macaroni and cheese at the now-defunct Ja-Da, fresh tortillas from Los Galanes, Manaeesh [[warm, fresh baked cheese pies) from Family Bakery in Warrendale and if I include Hamtramck, fresh cabbage soup from Polish Village and kopytka [[fried dumplings) from Polonia,

OK, I had to look it up. Found an interesting recipe for Korozot that looks like a translation from Hungarian. I translated the translation, see it in the Food Again thread. It looks good, kind of like BeerScheeZ.

My husband lived in Hungary for like 5 years and he says my korozott is pretty good. I made it for him 2 days ago and it got good reviews. My favorite way to serve it is as Romanian/Hungarian fusion cuisine...a lump of korozott over mamaliga [[corn meal porridge) with butter, salt and pepper. That's what we had for dinner last night.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfinewine View Post
    8. Almond boneless chicken at KOW KOW INN.
    I came here just to sing the praises of the Kow Kow's almond chicken. Never had any like it anywhere else, and I miss it so much.

I'd like to figure out how to make that sauce. I'm guessing they used dark soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce, along with a lot of garlic.

Mr. Foo Foo corned beef sandwich shared with my mom and my brother.

The Lasagna at VINCENZO'S and the carved roast beef sandwiches at Haas Roast Beef.

Knock Knock Club on Kercheval
    the one near Mt Elliot, owned by John, the lawyer?

Been there but only for adult beverages.
    Dont think they had food in the late 70's early 80's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast