Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I can't find that I explained my name in this thread, thought I did. Well, here:

Gazhekwe -- Gazhek = claws, which leads to cat. Kwe = woman. Catwoman.

Pronounced Gazh' e kweh

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I can't find that I explained my name in this thread, thought I did. Well, here:

Gazhekwe -- Gazhek = claws, which leads to cat. Kwe = woman. Catwoman.

Pronounced Gazh' e kweh
    Do you have 100's of cats, like the catwoman in the Simpsons episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Somehow I missed this thread last time around.

My name's John, but most people call me Johnny. I'm not sure why I added the extra N in "Johnnny5", but it was either a typo or perhaps the two N version was already taken. I initially signed up here to research a few places in Detroit that I was planning on metal detecting. That was many years ago.
    Was it....... 5 years ago?

A pretty obvious one -- my childhood address!

Grew up next to a factory. They had lots of rats[[ until we got a cat lady sized population of cats ). My friends naturally started calling me Factory rat.

I am Black Gold Man

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    I am Black Gold Man....
    I had the opportunity of being the designated driver for a wealthy playboy who owned one of those. It had a manual stick shift and an amazingly, forgivingly smooth clutch. I recall having to instruct newbies with other cars [[namely VWs) to redepress the clutch pedal at the instant it engaged to get a smooth gear transition. But with the 280Z that wasn't at all necessary. It had the smoothest clutch I had ever experienced.

Why was that? Was that by design? Is there a story behind that?
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-17-14 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Do you have 100's of cats, like the catwoman in the Simpsons episodes?
    No, I had three cats that all walked on at once from cancer a few years ago. Now we have a dog, but I didn't change my user name. That would be nimooshakwe which means sweetheart woman, or dog woman. I always think it is funny that sweetheart can translate to female dog. So different in English, right?

A hybridized legacy name from one side of my family combined with a loving ethnic slur involving the other side of my family with a 'd' note to commemorate my Detroit background.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    A hybridized legacy name from one side of my family combined with a loving ethnic slur involving the other side of my family with a 'd' note to commemorate my Detroit background.
    Interesting, but also a bit complex. Care to elaborate?

Way back in the late 70's I had a very worn bud-man t-shirt that I was quite fond of wearing. Problem was, I didn't drink....strictly organic I was. One day someone said, "Bud-man ?.....You mean Bong-Man"! Everyone laughed and the name stuck.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5