Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Pingu Guest

Before I lost my french accent, kids used to tease me a lot and call me "Pingu".

Peter Vetal Elementary School.

Photograph from http://detroitk12.org/schools/school/368

Cass Tech Class of '71.

And damn proud of it.

DetroitDad Guest

When DetroitYES! switched over to the new boards, I wanted to pick something new that represented how excited I was to be a father for the first time.

My favorite names on here though, are the people who are strong enough to use their real names.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Cass Tech Class of '71.

And damn proud of it.
    Right on!!

from one CT alum to another

Firstandten:

I was in A.C.C.T., how about you?

A few years ago there was talk of changing the name of the group of communities known as Downriver to Southshore, to change the stigma of shuttered factories and downtrodden hillbilly neighborhoods. A few of us laughed at this because we know that downriver has some great neighborhoods like Grosse Ile and Wyandotte. There are also some really good restaurants and businesses. A friend who owned a business in Wyandotte suggested we should call it the Downriviera, sort of a wordplay on the French Riviera.

I picked this screenname because I live along Lake Erie. I like to fish for walleye, and one of the companies that produces walleye fishing lures [[of which we have dozens), and other tackle is named...Eriedearie. And, well - IMO, to know me is to love me = a dear of a person. [[It's Truth in Advertising) So I thought it a perfect fit for me!

Bearinabox Guest

I just sort of made it up. It doesn't really have anything to do with anything.

george_babbage Guest

My name is similar to that of a terrific Detroit booster who unfortunately has passed to that great microsuede sectional sofa in the sky -- kind of an homage to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Before I lost my french accent, kids used to tease me a lot and call me "Pingu".
    I was thinkin about that claymation cartoon with the penguin...is that right? So when you spoke it was just a bunch of honking and trumpet sounds? lol

as for me...... Actually, I'd be interested if anyone else could get it. Googling it won't help, just 2 pages of me.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Firstandten:

I was in A.C.C.T., how about you?
    Distributive Educ subset of the Business Curriculum

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I was thinkin about that claymation cartoon with the penguin...is that right? So when you spoke it was just a bunch of honking and trumpet sounds? lol

as for me...... Actually, I'd be interested if anyone else could get it. Googling it won't help, just 2 pages of me.
    Something to do with the good ship Enterprise. Bit of a Trekkie are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Stipes, I'm not too sure what you don't get from Pam's link, but I sure don't get whatever it is you're trying to communicate.
    "She says dad's the one I love the most,,,but Stipe's not far behind... "

She sits alone by a lamppost
    Trying to find a thought that’s escaped her mind
    She says dad’s the one I love the most
    But Stipe’s not far behind

She never lets me in
    Only tell me where’s she’s been
    When she’s had too much to drink
    I say that I don’t care I just run my hands
    Through her dark hair and then I pray to god
    You gotta help me fly away

And just let her cry...if the tears fall down like rain
    Let her sing...if it eases all her pain
    Let her go...let her walk right out on me
    And if the sun comes up tomorrow
    Let her be...let her be.

This morning I woke up alone
    Found a note by the phone
    Saying maybe, maybe I’ll be back some day
    I wanted to look for you
    You walked in I didn’t know just what I should do
    So I sat back down and had a beer and felt sorry for
    Myself.

Last night I tried to leave
    Cried so much I just
    Could not believe
    She was the same girl I
    Fell in love with long ago
    She went in the back to
    Get high
    I sat down on my couch
    And cried
    Yelling oh mama please
    Help me
    Won’t you hold my hand.

And let her cry...if the tears fall down like rain
    Let her sing...if it eases all her pain
    Let her go...let her walk right out on me
    And if the sun comes up tomorrow
    Let her be...let her be.

Real name is Philip but my sister nicknamed me Philbo.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Something to do with the good ship Enterprise. Bit of a Trekkie are you?

HA! Good job jcole!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I just sort of made it up. It doesn't really have anything to do with anything.
    One of my favorite screen names here. Another one is Oladub and of course crumbled pavement. Way back, way before anything ever happened, like around 1972/73, my cousin Gi Gi, was a singer in a very successful Southern gospel group called, ummmm, "The Proverbs". The "ores" is pronounced "oars". Hence, Gi Gi Oars. I wouldn't want anyone choking on they popsicle stick trying to gag out my screename. It's a matter of limited liability.

Bump this thread because of so many new people, and it was a good thread. Lot of people gone. Lot of new people.
    Thanks Jimaz for the lost link.
    We were discussing this on the Garwood thread.
    It's amazing how many people come and go. Really miss a lot of people and wonder what happened to them. Probably won the lottery and decided to move on.

You're most welcome, old guy.

It was an easy find for me because I remembered a thread containing the unique term "Jimmi." There might be other similar threads too. Human-augmented search engines is a fascinating subject.

I was surprised how old this thread was. Time flies when you're having fun.

Mizmotown

A female fan of the city. :-)

i once ate 336 roast beef sandwiches?

We were pretty wild as Teens in the early 60's... Hence the name Whaler was bestowed upon me in 1965....Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Bump this thread because of so many new people, and it was a good thread. Lot of people gone. Lot of new people.
    Thanks Jimaz for the lost link.
    We were discussing this on the Garwood thread.
    It's amazing how many people come and go. Really miss a lot of people and wonder what happened to them. Probably won the lottery and decided to move on.
    Gosh you're right! Reading some of the names I haven't seen in a while.

I missed this thread though when it originally came up.

I was young and naive when I first came aboard and thought "Dtown" was a cool nickname for the city. I probably would've come up with something more clever. Oh well...

my first name my birthdate 5-2-75 or my house number or the net amount of my first paycheck $52.75 or my numbers for the Daily 4 or the last four of my phone number or SSN or my employee number or my license plate number or just some random numbers let it be what you want

Somehow I missed this thread last time around.

My name's John, but most people call me Johnny. I'm not sure why I added the extra N in "Johnnny5", but it was either a typo or perhaps the two N version was already taken. I initially signed up here to research a few places in Detroit that I was planning on metal detecting. That was many years ago.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast