Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ravine Guest

Hey, this is a fun idea for a thread. I'll bite.

I suppose that I am risking, here, that one of you is A) interested enough and B) sharp enough to use this info to deduce my actual name, but I reeeally fucking doubt it.

OK. If your name has a certain ethnicity, or nationality, to it, then it is likely that some language, other than English, may be involved in its form.
    So, whatever language that is, and whatever words, or meanings, are implied, there would then be some sort of English-based counter-part.
    Har!! Sadly, when I used this method to create my screen-name, I was using information which was not 100% exactly accurate, so "Ravine" is close to the mark, but just a leeetle to one side of an exact translation of my name.
    So, if you want to figure out my actual name, go to a whole lot of trouble, correctly guess the language involved, and then select a guess which would be nearly, but not quite, correct.

When I chose it, I did not foresee that it would be interpreted as feminine, an understandable interpretation which has led to some amusing confusion.
    Shit, I would hope that no dame would be so raw-spoken. That would be fucked up.
    Last edited by Ravine; August-03-10 at 03:02 AM.

Ravine Guest

Pass the Blotter Acid, Meddle.
    In for a penny, in for a pound, goddamit.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Meddle, so cool - I'm a big PF fan. You are my hero for the day. Lucky for you you did not pick Thewall, I would be posting XOXOX to you, you don't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Hey, this is a fun idea for a thread. I'll bite.

I suppose that I am risking, here, that one of you is A) interested enough and B) sharp enough to use this info to deduce my actual name, but I reeeally fucking doubt it.

OK. If your name has a certain ethnicity, or nationality, to it, then it is likely that some language, other than English, may be involved in its form.
    So, whatever language that is, and whatever words, or meanings, are implied, there would then be some sort of English-based counter-part.
    Har!! Sadly, when I used this method to create my screen-name, I was using information which was not 100% exactly accurate, so "Ravine" is close to the mark, but just a leeetle to one side of an exact translation of my name.
    So, if you want to figure out my actual name, go to a whole lot of trouble, correctly guess the language involved, and then select a guess which would be nearly, but not quite, correct.

When I chose it, I did not foresee that it would be interpreted as feminine, an understandable interpretation which has led to some amusing confusion.
    Shit, I would hope that no dame would be so raw-spoken. That would be fucked up.

Well, it sounds better than Gorge or Canyon for that matter....
    That other language would not be West-Frisian by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Meddle, so cool - I'm a big PF fan. You are my hero for the day. Lucky for you you did not pick Thewall, I would be posting XOXOX to you, you don't want that.
    I was lucky enough to see both Pink Floyds, Roger Waters' and David Gilmour's version. I was there on Berlin's Potzdammer Platz on Jult 21st 1990. I was standing next to some Americans who were helding up three Old Glories, one of which was hanging on a five meter long flagpole. I figured in that way I could find myself back in aereal shots that were bound to be made. And indeed, you can see the flags on the right of the inside sleeve picture. I scanned it. I though at that spot I would be close to the podium. After the consert ended I went up to the stage and it was even bigger than I thought.

Sure enough, there on the right, the three American flags, that was where I was standing.

One of the worst conserts I've ever attended. The PA system could simply not handle a crowd of 400.000 people. You had to whisper to even enjoy the music. And talking about the music, there were some really stinkbombs. What in the hell was Waters thinking when he thought that it would be a good idea to give the signature song "Another brick in the wall, pt2" to.... Cindy Lauper[[??!!) I understand he hated David Gilmour [[back then) very much but he didn't need to ruin that tune! Furthermore there were massive sound problems in the second song "The Thin Ice". It would have been sung by German singer Ute Lemper but they simply skipped it! The track that ended up on the CD was the rehearsal. "Mother" was sung by Sinead O'Connor, another miscast... There were also some highlights I have to say. Thomas Dolby as the teacher was spot-on. Paul Carrack's rendering of "Hey You" was absolutely great and Joni Mitchell was also a great cast. Brian Adams made the best of "Young Lust".

Another great aspect was the feeling of being somewhere important. I've spoken to so many people of so many countries. Virtually every European country was reprisented, as well as other nations from all over the world. The international aspect of it was wonderful. I guess after that my genration lost it's innosense. This consert was played roght on the doorstep of the first Gulf War. The Balkna war tore Eastern Europe apart and in 1990 no one had ever heard of Osama Bin Laden.

It was a last hurrah from a peaceful Europe....

A few years later David Gilmour and his troupe were touring again. The Dutch leg of the tour took them to the Rotterdam Feyenoord Stadium. The kick-off track was a massive surprise, "Astronomy Domine". It was as if I was watching a consert in black and white!! After that the usual suspects came by.

Back then it was very difficult to get recording equipment into the stadium. Look at present day. Minutes after a song has ended, someone will have posted a video on youtube. Aahh, progress!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-03-10 at 01:49 PM.

Ravine Guest

Well... nope.

Whitehouse, I was at the 94 tour as well. Here it was in the Silverdome. Quite the special effects extravaganza.

Betch'y'all thought it meant something else, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Betch'y'all thought it meant something else, eh?

Wot? You named yourself after singer Bette Meddle?

Ravine, Your name starts out with an R like Rumpelstiltskin's but you haven't offered a prize. I had thought about Chinese laborers but that coolie is spelled differently than the ravine like coullees I was thinking about. Then there are valleys, draw, and gulleys to consider. Does it translation refer to any of the aforementioned?

I just Googled "Ravine" and got.......

About 10,900,000 results [[0.29 seconds)

Now to start going through each one of them.........zzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Whitehouse, if you saw The Wall in Berlin, then you are my co-hero for the day. Back then, I talked to a friend about going to Berlin when East Germany opened the checkpoints permanently and people began chipping away the wall with hand tools. I knew it was history being made.

I purchased the Pink Floyd Berlin performance of 'The Wall' on VHS. I still have it and watch it from time to time. Maryann Faithfull, Van Morrison, Cindy Lauper, Joni Mitchell, many of my favorites made cameos in that performance.

Thank for the great pics from Berlin as well.

So much for my PF obsession - I'd love to hear more screen name explanations, they are entertaining and interesting.

She stank in the performance but it brought about the funniest moment. As you well know "Another Brick In The Wall" follows right on the heels of "The Happiest Days Of Our Lives". And everyone exepected the kind of booming voice of David Gilmour. Since he was unavailable [[...) Waters opted for Cyndi [[which is the correct spelling) Lauper and when she started butchering that song I saw the faces of many go WTF??!! In retrospect a major LOL!!

These days nothing remembers of that massive plot of open land. A large part of it is now dedicated as the holocaust memorial.

Back in 1900 the place looked a lot like Campus Martius.

The Columbushaus, torn down by the East German government. This was also bombed. Even by today's standards looking incredibly modern, but this was build, would you believe it, in 1932! Even before the Nazis came to power.

Same spot 60 years later. The footprint of the Columbushaus is the dark patch on the far left.

This is the same place now. Courtesy of the USAF and Royal Air Force who had some beef with Hitler.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-03-10 at 02:16 PM.

Ah, Van Morrison's version of Comfortably Numb, it gives me chills to watch it. He's so refined and sophisticated.

True, Lauper's performance was one of the 'misses', not one of the 'hits'.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Ah, Van Morrison's version of Comfortably Numb, it gives me chills to watch it. He's so refined and sophisticated.

True, Lauper's performance was one of the 'misses', not one of the 'hits'.
    Really... I would definitely put Van Morrison as a 'miss' as well. Nothing against him, I like his stuff, but I thought he sounded dreadful at that show.

Football terminology for a brand new start.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Ravine, Your name starts out with an R like Rumpelstiltskin's but you haven't offered a prize. I had thought about Chinese laborers but that coolie is spelled differently than the ravine like coullees I was thinking about. Then there are valleys, draw, and gulleys to consider. Does it translation refer to any of the aforementioned?
    Not bad. You're on the right track, but the track goes on purt'near forever and takes one hard turn.

First part pretty obvious the 'stylin' meaning that I do everything I engage in Detroit Style. Sort of like the answer to a "New York State of Mind"....

Made a bunch of jams and jellies for years and close to my given name!

It's my first name and the first letter of my middle name. Over on SDF, I use an air name I used 40+ years ago at WIBM/WBBC-FM in Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    First part pretty obvious the 'stylin' meaning that I do everything I engage in Detroit Style. Sort of like the answer to a "New York State of Mind"....
    Do you have gold teeth too?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlivingstonseagull View Post
    Do you have gold teeth too?

Or keeping up with Detroit Style, decaying teeth.

Mauser 7.65 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AqqNKsWCGY

from before the story was rewritten.

I will only say...."You can really taste the goat...mmmmm.".

If folks know where that comes from then there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I will only say...."You can really taste the goat...mmmmm.".

If folks know where that comes from then there you are.
    Goat - is it the Three Stooges?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast