Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Does Detroit receive any revenue from shipping traffic on the Detroit River? Sincerely.

JJD - What services are you willing to give up for your tax cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    JJD - What services are you willing to give up for your tax cut?
    1. City Council - Staff, aides, travel, conferences, etc.
    2. DPS - sorry I am a product of the DPS and am proud of my education and past, but this is a fail. It is not funtionally educating the cities youth. Leave it to Charter and Private Schools
    3. Corruption and nepetance - not really a service, but its where I feel a large portion of my taxes end up going.

I guess my question to you is what services do my taxes currently pay for? The only city service that I actively use are the police and the roads. I don't use the DPS, I pay for my trash service, They do not clean or maintain the neioghborhoods very well.

Why didn't you include "waste, fraud and abuse"? Your responses are typical of people who think the items you list represent big money. Sure, get rid of the Council salaries and all the perks. But how many police officers is that going to hire? Corruption and nepotism cost money. But no organization runs with 100% efficiency and even if it did, it's still likely that Detroit wouldn't have enough money to fund the services that residents need, especially if the tax system was turned upside down. As for DPS, public charters are still funded by public tax dollars, even if some do it for less than DPS. Or are you advocating disbanding public education in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Why didn't you include "waste, fraud and abuse"? Your responses are typical of people who think the items you list represent big money. Sure, get rid of the Council salaries and all the perks. But how many police officers is that going to hire? Corruption and nepotism cost money. But no organization runs with 100% efficiency and even if it did, it's still likely that Detroit wouldn't have enough money to fund the services that residents need, especially if the tax system was turned upside down. As for DPS, public charters are still funded by public tax dollars, even if some do it for less than DPS. Or are you advocating disbanding public education in Detroit.
    Just turn me loose in CoD and DPS with a copy of the organization chart and a stack of "non-recourse" pink slips. I will make a definite hole in the expenditure side of the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Does Detroit receive any revenue from shipping traffic on the Detroit River? Sincerely.
    No, because most of it is just passing through. It is only when ships dock that you become a port and make money off transhipment.