Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Scroll down and look at the back of the second one. It says 'Labor Riot June 10, 19[[2)7
    Could be [[3)
    I'd say 37' since those cars weren't made in 1927. Good call.

That makes sense since the 37' time period was known for the labor strikes in the area, and riots, I suppose.

The other one, could be a protest for the preservation of Bebe creek, which flowed through the park. It was buried underground at some point, perhaps then?
    Last edited by Stosh; July-29-10 at 08:18 AM.

Stosh Guest

Here's an interesting article that says that there were white rioters, and that it really wasn't a race riot at all.
    From Google Books:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=oLo...20riot&f=false

Stosh Guest

Another instance from another book. This one the Historical dictionary of the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Interesting hearing your experiences, Hermod. My grandfather was a generation older than you, and his folks were on the leading edge of the northern migration. He was a founding member of the Brewster Old Timers. The legendary Brewster Rec Center opened when he was 13 years old:

http://detroit1701.org/Brewster-Wheeler%20Center.htm

Reading that page makes me really miss my granddad. He was truly one of the best people I knew.

Your granddad would have been about my father's age or a tad older [[Central High School 1931).

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post

That makes sense since the 37' time period was known for the labor strikes in the area, and riots, I suppose.

The other one, could be a protest for the preservation of Bebe creek, which flowed through the park. It was buried underground at some point, perhaps then?
    1937 was the year of the strike in Michigan. The Flint GM sit-down strike ended in February of that year with recognition of the UAW by GM. That began a wave of similar labor organizing efforts and strikes across the area in the auto industry and other local industries and businesses. The famous "Battle of the Overpass" occurred in May as UAW began to try to organize Ford, and there was similar labor unrest and organizing going on throughout the state. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if that picture was from 1937. It was really the year that began the modern labor movement and the consequent growth of the industrial middle class in this area as we knew it in the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and into the 70s.

Another instance from another book. This one the Historical dictionary of the 60's.

What suburbs were part of the looting and firebombing?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    What suburbs were part of the looting and firebombing?

I saw that too, it didn't make sense. I guess they were talking about HIghland park and maybe Hamtramck? I know HP had rioting, I can't remember anything about Hamtramck.

I know of at least one small building in Hamtramck that was set on fire during the riots.

I think HP had very minimal rioting in '67. Hamtramck was almost untouched. There may have been some looting in River Rouge, if I remember, but the real riot there didn't happen until a couple of years later.

Stosh Guest

I ran across this title in the Google Books section. Plenty of familiar names and interesting reasons as to why the riot happened.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xjk...page&q&f=false

The 1937 photo is, I believe, of the Republic/Newton Steel strike in Monroe in June of that year. Here is a link to a video. In a very brief scene right at the 1:00 mark I think you see the moment depicted in that photo.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7690324026006#

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The 1937 photo is, I believe, of the Republic/Newton Steel strike in Monroe in June of that year. Here is a link to a video. In a very brief scene right at the 1:00 mark I think you see the moment depicted in that photo.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7690324026006#
    Yes, that looks to be the one. Bravo!

I was in Lexington with my mother & step dad visiting Aunt Mary when we heard. My parents called the White Owl restaurant that they managed at Michigan & Stecker. We left Lexington & drove to the restaurant. When we got to the restaurant it was filled with police. We lived on Renville & Mcgraw & had no problems there. I worked at Blue Cross downtown in the Cadillac Square building & we were off work for a couple of days. In the days after, I drove around Detroit & could not believe the houses & businesses that were burned down.
    Last edited by Bunny; July-30-10 at 03:08 PM.

I know this may be a little "off subject", but I had to respond to some of the earlier threads about the predjudicial thing. Both of my grandparents were transplants here. My father's from europe [[ Ireland) in the 20's and my mother's from Tennessee in the 50's. Both came here for the work, like many others, and both brought with them certian predjudices from that era. People from back then seem to have very little loyalty for the D. Not like us guys on D yes. Many of whom are their descendants. With so many different nationalities/races competing for jobs, and hence survival, feelings were "strong", to say the least. Many of the people who were here for Detroit's "boom town" period have since moved away, or passed away. After the prosperity well ran dry- they left. I believe that's why Detroit had 2 million people at its peak, and only less than half that now. A lot of people were just "transitory". Again- off the specific topic, but I think relevant to what happened then, and the way it is today.

I'm really late in this conversation, but I wasn't born. I wish I had been so I could have seen the city at least once before it's destruction. In the following years my entire family moved to the suburbs due to the theft and violence that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I'm really late in this conversation, but I wasn't born. I wish I had been so I could have seen the city at least once before it's destruction. In the following years my entire family moved to the suburbs due to the theft and violence that followed.
    Wow, you weren't? How'd you join the rest of us, then?

I had just graduated from high school in '67 when the riot took place. We lived on Wayburn between Morang and Moross. My boyfriend lived on Saratoga between Hayes and Chalmers. My mom refused to let me drive over to his house, and drove me herself. It was horrible watching all the looting and shooting on television. My cousin John came home from Vietnam during the riot, and on the way home from picking him up at the airport, they had to drive near the shooting to get to their home. My aunt said that at the sound of gunfire, John was immediately on the floor of the car...a well conditioned response from his time in Vietnam. What a "welcome home" for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I was in Lexington with my mother & step dad visiting Aunt Mary when we heard.
    Coincidentally, I [[and my siblings) were in Lexington, as well. That's where we spent our summers, and that was the July I turned 13. I was supposed to receive a birthstone ring from my parents [[with a real gem and tiny little diamond. I was so excited). Unfortunately, the jeweler was located somewhere near 12th Street, and my parents, who lived on the east side, could not get over there to pick up my ring until late August.

A trivial, meaningless memory, but one of the most clear I have of that summer.

In the Coast Guard in Cheboygan. Worried about my squeeze in 48226. She was on the town with Jodie, as it turned out. Story of my life. Film at 11.

Summer of '67: Vacation time between junior and senior years at Lutheran High East. Lived on Farmbrook between Frankfort and Southampton and was working at Burt Uthes' Sunoco station at the corner of E. Warren and Farmbrook.

Burt called the house on Monday to tell me not to go to the station for work because no gasoline could be sold within the city limits during the present crisis.

But I think the Pony Keg package liquor store remained open at the time. Maybe Pete's Bar at the corner of E. Warren and Lodewick was open too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Coincidentally, I [[and my siblings) were in Lexington, as well. That's where we spent our summers, and that was the July I turned 13. I was supposed to receive a birthstone ring from my parents [[with a real gem and tiny little diamond. I was so excited). Unfortunately, the jeweler was located somewhere near 12th Street, and my parents, who lived on the east side, could not get over there to pick up my ring until late August.

A trivial, meaningless memory, but one of the most clear I have of that summer.
    No Memory is meaningless!!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by FerndaleDamon View Post
    I know this may be a little "off subject", but I had to respond to some of the earlier threads about the predjudicial thing. Both of my grandparents were transplants here. My father's from europe [[ Ireland) in the 20's and my mother's from Tennessee in the 50's. Both came here for the work, like many others, and both brought with them certian predjudices from that era. People from back then seem to have very little loyalty for the D. Not like us guys on D yes. Many of whom are their descendants. With so many different nationalities/races competing for jobs, and hence survival, feelings were "strong", to say the least. Many of the people who were here for Detroit's "boom town" period have since moved away, or passed away. After the prosperity well ran dry- they left. I believe that's why Detroit had 2 million people at its peak, and only less than half that now. A lot of people were just "transitory". Again- off the specific topic, but I think relevant to what happened then, and the way it is today.

This kind of comment is informative and contributes a whole lot because it is easy to find one or two major reasons for the city's decline and leave it at that. If people dismiss Detroit outside the pale, it
    may have to do with quick judgement and so the idea of abandonment seems worthwhile. Many posters here have repeated that Detroit's demise is due to a wide set of variables and they are right. I wondered how it is that the city's decline wasnt curbed by investments in more varied industry etc...
    I am more pondered in my opinions on Detroit. Detroit has had a complicated set of issues to deal with as it mushroomed into this massive builder of the vehicular lifestyle.Your comment on the transitory is a common thread in american life, not just from inner-city to suburbs but from state to state in search of...
    So I look at Google street view again and again and find visuospatial clues that help me render judgement on a few issues. I find Detroit suburban roads and lots both residential and industrial
    too wide and too spread out. I find this use of space tends to flatten everything and doesnt draw people in. It is a lot like sitting in a fast food joint and being coerced into leaving by an ingeniously engineered uncomfortable seat. This is present in a lot of Detroit proper also. The sidewalk is like a moat, oftentimes a vast expanse or grass is set forward on the city line in front of properties. I am amazed that the city has to mow so much prairie in 2010 as a security measure over and above aesthetic considerations and foresake parkland. If Detroit can make better more concentrated use of land, it will be a benefit both in ecological and social terms.

I just turned 12 and had graduated from Herman elementary in June, lived on Burnett between West Chicago and Joy. My family and I were visiting my Dad’s friends in Redford Township, we showed up for breakfast as we always did on the weekend. We watched some TV, swam and just ran around outside as always.
    But the grownups were uneasy, you know like something else was happing and not paying much attention to what we [[kids) were doing. I think they were listing to the radio outside when Dad had me get the police radio out of the car. My Mom’s Dad was a guard for Burns Detective agency and had us all listening to police radios, [[I still have ours).
    By noon time there was a lot of smoke far in the sky, the police radio was going crazy, with calls one after another.
    Dad said it was getting bad and we had to go, it was about late afternoon to early evening there was still a lot of light left.
    I think we started off traveling down Grand River, but we drove right into a mess, Police, buildings on fire, people all over the streets, Dad made us duck down in the back so I don’t remember much. We had a sweet 1959 white Cadillac convertible, no one tried to stop or bother us.
    We had to drive around and use some back streets. Seen where they had loads of fire trucks parked blocking the street outside the fire house across from Ruthruff Elem. [[Plymouth and GR ?)
    We sleep on the floor under the bed that first night. People were outside running down the alley carrying boxes and off loading cars. Nat Guard troops were in jeeps and tracks driving all over. The next morning, real early Dad took us to my Grandma’s house by way of Dearborn to Honorah off Vernor [[He got gas in Dearborn). Mom and us kids stayed there until it was over.
    He went back to our house and stayed with my German shepherd dog Butch a trained police dog and the shotgun to protect our property. One night during the week my dog got cut under the eye I guess by someone taking a short cut through the back yard but Butch must have got a piece of him also.
    Dad climbed out on the roof to see where the fires were at and was almost arrested when a helicopter flew over and ordered him down.
    At Grandma's we road our bikes over to Patton park to see the Nat Guard Troops, some of them sent kids to the store for snacks.
    I remember seeing buildings mostly stores burned down all around our neighborhood, on Joy Road and Grand River. We moved close to Grandmas on the southwest side on Oct 31st.

We had been up north and were coming home. The car radio was not on as the kids were sleeping and the adults were talking. My uncle was driving and was pulled over on Mt Elliott and the Boulevard. The cops were keyed up and asked him what he was doing driving....didn't he know there was a riot going on??? The answer was no, he had no idea. We went home and all the neighbors were gathered on a porch. Someone had a police scanner and everyone was gathered around listening to police calls. I was 9 years old and terrified. Police were everywhere, tanks were driving up and down Mt Elliott and sirens were going everywhere. The next day my parents had me taken to live with an aunt until the riot was over.

I was three years old just about to turn four. I lived on Euclid between John R and Brush. I also remember tanks, fires, and my father ending up with lots of beer in our basement.

One night while sitting on our porch we saw soldiers coming down the street so me, my parents, and some friends of theirs all ran in the house and laid on the floor. I wanted to see the "Army-men" so I stood up to look out of the window as they passed by. My mother yelled at me to lay down before I was shot by accident. I found out later that a little girl that also lived on Euclid was shot and killed trying to look out of her window at the soldiers.
    Last edited by upinnair; August-05-10 at 06:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast