Thanks, wintersmommy, DetroitStylin, canuck & EastsideAl. I appreciate hearing the stories about the long hot summer of '67 and love Detroit's history, and have been really enjoying the memories from people here who are just sharing what happened during one of our most tragic moments. I just wish we could find a way to honor our past, AND move forward without hating each other so much.

I've always thought that someone should make the '67 riots into a serious feature-length film or [[better yet) a cable television series. Have a strong ensemble cast, explore that time period from all points of view and all walks of life, perhaps add a prologue or epilogue set in today's Detroit. They could interview many of you who are posting here, use all the books and documentaries that have been produced about '67, and I'm sure we all have friends and folks who'd love to help with the oral history. I mean, my grandma still has the LIFE magazine with the picture of the tank in front of their house. With all the filming being done here lately, it'd be great to see that happen. Besides, it would have one of the best soundtracks ever.

It might be cathartic for us as a city and region, and it might help explain why Detroit is the way that it is to outsiders. It would provide some nuance to a discussion that's usually only told from one or two points of view. It might do for the city of Detroit what something like "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" did for the Funk Brothers. I don't know... maybe I'm just dreaming here.