Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13

Hybrid View

Just drive down Grand River, all the way......

The riot broke out just a few days before my 18th birthday. I had just graduated high school and was preparing to move to my first home away from home, the Univ. of Mich. When a recruiter from San Francisco County visited the University a few weeks before graduation I accepted an offer for employment and moved to San Francisco. When I couldn't get my parents to relocate I moved back to Detroit in the early 2000's when they became ill. I admit I was not thrilled about moving back to Detroit after being away for so long. When my parents both passed a few years after returning to Detroit I moved to Santa Fe, NM two years later. My decision to leave Detroit had more to do with quality of life in my later years. I go back to Detroit at least 2 times each year. Each time I visit I have been both impressed by the improvements and saddened by appearance of many of the neighborhoods that have been ignored and seemingly forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    The riot broke out just a few days before my 18th birthday. I had just graduated high school and was preparing to move to my first home away from home, the Univ. of Mich. When a recruiter from San Francisco County visited the University a few weeks before graduation I accepted an offer for employment and moved to San Francisco. When I couldn't get my parents to relocate I moved back to Detroit in the early 2000's when they became ill. I admit I was not thrilled about moving back to Detroit after being away for so long. When my parents both passed a few years after returning to Detroit I moved to Santa Fe, NM two years later. My decision to leave Detroit had more to do with quality of life in my later years. I go back to Detroit at least 2 times each year. Each time I visit I have been both impressed by the improvements and saddened by appearance of many of the neighborhoods that have been ignored and seemingly forgotten.
    A few elements of this story apply to me.

After my widowed father died, my sister joined me and we moved to the D.C. area.

I would not have moved away from S.E. MI while he was alive. Once he passed, I became free to chart my own course.

I would find it very hard to move back to Detroit. Once someone has lived in San Fran or D.C. or some other place with a milder climate it is hard to move back to a cold, cloudy Midwest city [[maybe this post should be under the thread for HQ2).

To me the biggest negative about S.E. MI [[and other Midwest areas) is the weather. And, of course, it is something that no one can do anything about. Even affluent people, say like Miggy or JV, living in a super expensive house still have/had to deal with the cold and snow.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-05-18 at 04:09 AM.

Default Did you live through the '67 riots?

It's now more than 50 years ago, but did any Detroit Yes'ers witness the 1967 race riots? Which areas were hardest hit?

Have you searched the board for the previous multiple thread on this, where many of us already discussed it?

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    It's now more than 50 years ago, but did any Detroit Yes'ers witness the 1967 race riots? Which areas were hardest hit?
    Why are you calling it a race riot?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Why are you calling it a race riot?
    This thread under that heading was started 7 years ago...

This link will lead you to the 1967 Threads on DetroitYES. https://www.detroityes.com/mb/tags.p...roit+1967+riot

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13