Most of us who were there would rather forget that time period. I lived at Mack and Beaubien and had an E.ticket for the entire fiasco. I worked in health care at the time and remain amazed at the continung claim that "only" 40 some individuals lost their lives due to the riot/uprising/rebellion. The 'riot deaths' were those due to trauma caused by obvious murder or arson. Those who were killed when hit by cars, had heart attacks, didn't get to the hospital for logistical reasons, etc. were not classified as such. Eugene Methvin has written on the riots and it is worth a read. old.nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback200509011316.asp

There were two weeks of tanks on the streets with soldiers everywhere. Those of us who considered ourselves Detroiters forever abandoned that dream that month of July, 1967. I have heard many say that it was only a minor reason for the decline of the city; do not believe that. When you were there and saw what transpired, you knew Detroit was doomed to a gloomy future. I left three years later and although my memories of growing up in Detroit remain happy, I have never regretted what some may say was abandoning the city. I disagree, the city I grew up in abandoned all of us.

River rat