carlscomputers asked:
> Wow! Your Dad lived through the War in Berlin?

Dad was a US citizen. He was there but never told why. Somehow, he got to Hiroshima two days after the blast [[checked this out with Dad's friends after his death) - he described the destruction vividly but refused to say why he was there. From what I've heard, a lot of strange things happened before VE- and VJ-days...

Dad was a wonderful guy, a man's man, full of love and kindness and gentility. Inside was a hard-ass adventurer, so it shouldn't have been surprising that he wanted to sashay thru smoking ruins after getting his "new car". Geez, I remember Mom shitting bricks in the back seat!! I was a zit-faced sophomore and thought he was cool as hell.

> I'm sure this was nothing [[not taking away from the seriousness
> of the Riot) to him!

Actually, Dad was very angry at the way the Govt handled the riot. He sided with the Black folks and was sympathetic about them being abused. I think after what he saw in WW2, he just wanted to build a better world any way he could...some of the WW2 guys were like that. Anyway, he felt the riot was the middle of the end for Detroit...unfortunately correct.

Dad's been gone more than 25 years, and I still miss him ... a lot. He was my best friend.