Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I copied this list in 1967 when the Detroit Fire Department, the City of Detroit, the Firemen’s Fund or the Firefighters Association printed it out. I can’t remember who as that was 47 years ago.
    Probably some cities sent an apparatus / apparatuses with manpower , just manpower or some firefighters from these cities came on their own. Then it was noted where they came from and this list was printed.

Here is some additional information.

On some pictures of the 67 riot you will see Firefighters in OCD [[Office of Civil Defense) fire gear rather than their regular Detroit issued fire gear. It is assumed that these were Fire Axillaries, not so, most were us regular Detroit Firefighters.
    Here’s what happened. We were called back from home, or just seeing a notification on TV, and told to respond to certain command locations rather than to our regular firehouse. I ran at Engine 31,….. Engine 42 was our command post.
    Every engine house had OCD fire gear [[coats, helmets & boots) in their basement .Since we didn’t have our stuff we grabbed those to wear. Then we waited till an X-rig [[ Old extra apparatus ) pulled up and jumped aboard.
    As there was more men then rigs we piled as many men on a rig as possible. When we left Engine 42 our X-rig held 37 men. We were jammed in the back, in the cab and the outside holding on to anything and everything. We counted as we wanted to remember the number) This was the number of men on the rig I was on. Every X-rig was jammed with men. If some men ran across their own company during that day they left us & went with them. The ones that didn't were dropped off at their regular company Monday morning.
    Last edited by FEO; July-24-14 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEO View Post
    I copied this list in 1967 when the Detroit Fire Department, the City of Detroit, the Firemen’s Fund or the Firefighters Association printed it out. I can’t remember who as that was 47 years ago.
    Probably some cities sent an apparatus / apparatuses with manpower , just manpower or some firefighters from these cities came on their own. Then it was noted where they came from and this list was printed.

Here is some additional information.

On some pictures of the 67 riot you will see Firefighters in OCD [[Office of Civil Defense) fire gear rather than their regular Detroit issued fire gear. It is assumed that these were Fire Axillaries, not so, most were us regular Firefighters.
    Here’s what happened. We were called back from home, or just seeing a notification on TV, and told to respond to certain command locations rather than to our regular firehouse. I ran at Engine 31,….. Engine 42 was our command post.
    Every engine house had OCD fire gear [[coats, helmets & boots) in their basement .Since we didn’t have our stuff we grabbed those to wear. Then we waited till an X-rig [[ Old extra apparatus ) pulled up and jumped aboard.
    As there was more men then rigs we piled as many men on a rig as possible. When we left Engine 42 our X-rig held 37 men. We were jammed in the back, in the cab and the outside holding on to anything and everything. We counted as we wanted to remember the number) This was the number of men on the rig I was on. Every X-rig was jammed with men. If some men ran across their own company during that day they left us & went with them. The ones that didn't were dropped off at their regular company Monday morning.
    Interesting stories, FEO, Thanx.