Thanks, English. And, again, to you Kathleen, for mentioning the honors college thing.

The question of why Detroit didn't recover in the same way that other cities did is way beyond complex, with roots in history, sociology, economics, and so on. I have a friends who tells me that after the Detroit "riots," people in his neighborhood started having meetings [[mixed race) in each others' living rooms, to try to get to know each other, understand each other, talk through their concerns, build community. More of that might have proven fruitful. But economics--profit motive of real estate developers and so on, residents' instinct to protect their investments [[sell your house while it's still worth something)--are pretty powerful. Also, at one of my book events a woman said that it's one thing as an adult to decide to take a stand, stay put, work for change, and another to subject one's children to schools that one fears may be dangerous for them or substandard. Even rumors that a school may be dangerous or substandard can scare parents away.