Seriously, what do people think that we're going to do to them? Do folks think that their K-12 education or their university degree is devalued just by the very presence of black folks?
English, I just want to acknowledge this part of your earlier posting. Great questions. Hard to answer. I went to Halley, MacDowell, and Mumford in the 50s/60s, and these were integrated schools by all appearances. But as I've come to understand, it was an odd definition of integration, as within the school, stark divisions existed: reading groups separated people out early, as did later honors classes, and college prep in contrast with vocational. At Mumford, the college prep courses were in one wing of the building, while vocational/trade were in another. As a college prep student, I never set foot in that other wing. As I say, odd notion of integration.

I don't know how to answer your questions. I'm glad you raised them though. Part of it might be that whites don't like being in the minority. Racial fears/attitudes are also central. The town where I live now [[Oak Park, IL) is consistently trying to find an answer to the "achievement gap"--the difference in test scores between white and black students.