Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I was in Lexington with my mother & step dad visiting Aunt Mary when we heard. My parents called the White Owl restaurant that they managed at Michigan & Stecker. We left Lexington & drove to the restaurant. When we got to the restaurant it was filled with police. We lived on Renville & Mcgraw & had no problems there. I worked at Blue Cross downtown in the Cadillac Square building & we were off work for a couple of days. In the days after, I drove around Detroit & could not believe the houses & businesses that were burned down.
    Last edited by Bunny; July-30-10 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I was in Lexington with my mother & step dad visiting Aunt Mary when we heard.
    Coincidentally, I [[and my siblings) were in Lexington, as well. That's where we spent our summers, and that was the July I turned 13. I was supposed to receive a birthstone ring from my parents [[with a real gem and tiny little diamond. I was so excited). Unfortunately, the jeweler was located somewhere near 12th Street, and my parents, who lived on the east side, could not get over there to pick up my ring until late August.

A trivial, meaningless memory, but one of the most clear I have of that summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Coincidentally, I [[and my siblings) were in Lexington, as well. That's where we spent our summers, and that was the July I turned 13. I was supposed to receive a birthstone ring from my parents [[with a real gem and tiny little diamond. I was so excited). Unfortunately, the jeweler was located somewhere near 12th Street, and my parents, who lived on the east side, could not get over there to pick up my ring until late August.

A trivial, meaningless memory, but one of the most clear I have of that summer.
    No Memory is meaningless!!! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I was in Lexington with my mother & step dad visiting Aunt Mary when we heard. My parents called the White Owl restaurant that they managed at Michigan & Stecker. We left Lexington & drove to the restaurant. When we got to the restaurant it was filled with police. We lived on Renville & Mcgraw & had no problems there. I worked at Blue Cross downtown in the Cadillac Square building & we were off work for a couple of days. In the days after, I drove around Detroit & could not believe the houses & businesses that were burned down.
    Bunny - Do you have or can you post a photo of the White Owl restaurant? My cousin - and I'm sure hundreds of others - spent a lot of his time at that intersection, and a photo might jiggle many memories! Thanks!