Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Suburban ruins

Maxx, you don't get out much, huh? Wonderland Mall has been gone for years, and has a new Walmart, Target and many smaller stores and restuarants in it's place. And Livonia Mall [[ except for Sears ) was torn down about 2 years ago and a new Walmart and other stores are due to open soon.

An Evil Wal-mart at Wonderland Village [[ Formally Wonderland Mall) A Upcomming Evil Wal-mart at the former Livonia Mall site. Both of these Evil Wal-marts are on Middlebelt St. just 4 miles apart. What are those folks in Livonia are doing to ruin their city?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Maxx, you don't get out much, huh? Wonderland Mall has been gone for years, and has a new Walmart, Target and many smaller stores and restuarants in it's place. And Livonia Mall [[ except for Sears ) was torn down about 2 years ago and a new Walmart and other stores are due to open soon.
    I don't get over to that part of Livonia for sure. I'm glad to hear that other businesses
    have replaced them although with Walmart there may not be any competitors for long.
    Also, the Easttown Theatre is on Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I heard that the leases were not renewed in anticipation of the WalMart at Dix and Southfield. That WalMart is supposed to now go in at the abandoned shopping center on Dix near Eureka in Southgate.
    Walmart has thier pick of empty or near empty malls to tear down!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    An Evil Wal-mart at Wonderland Village [[ Formally Wonderland Mall) A Upcomming Evil Wal-mart at the former Livonia Mall site. Both of these Evil Wal-marts are on Middlebelt St. just 4 miles apart. What are those folks in Livonia are doing to ruin their city?
    Ha- Livonia did not want the Wal-Marts
    the one with the biggest legal war chest [[Wal-Mart and Schostak et al) usually win.

There is a rumor that the Wal Mart at Schoolcraft and Middleblet will become something else...I think I heard Sam's Club. Certainly no need for 2 Wal Marts, 4 miles apart!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    There is a rumor that the Wal Mart at Schoolcraft and Middleblet will become something else...I think I heard Sam's Club. Certainly no need for 2 Wal Marts, 4 miles apart!
    I think if you look geographically to the new Walmart @ 7 and Middlebelt, in the other three directions, the next closest ones are in Troy @ 15 Mile, Commerce Township @ M-5 and Pontiac Trail, and New Hudson @ I-96........There are plenty of people to draw on in all those directions as well as additional overflow from the understored people of the City of Detroit.........

A look at my hometown of Indianapolis [[which has Meijer, Kroger, etc) shows Supercenters @ 4.44 miles apart.

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/...ntinue=&sfatt=

I think the lack of good sites in Farmington and Farmington Hills as well as the expense of a site by 12 Oaks in Novi, combined with the pattern of Detroit shoppers in Livonia already made 4 miles acceptable because the site was good.

Meijer has put stores @ Tel-12 and 8-Haggerty. There is not a big enough open site at either location for a new Supercenter, but Walmart would, I think go into either of those as well if a good site were available. Both are 5 miles away from the nearest Walmart, even after the Livonia Mall one opens up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3