Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It is a real shame how they bastardized the old "United Shirt" building.
    Agreed.

I think it should do alright considering the bars in the Westin are overpriced. I'd gladly walk across the street to the Arcade instead if I was a guest.

The same view as in that picture, but from this past April:

Attachment 6874

Are the upper floors American and Lafayette sealed? I've never seen an access point in either building to get up there.

Thanks for the info, everybody. Hope it works out!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I'm serious. Every time I hear a Kid Rock song I want to vomit. His music is garbage, who actually listens to that crap and takes it seriously?
    Care to enlighten us on what a superior taste in music consists of? I swear, more often than not the same guy that states this turns around and lists a pile of undeground indie bands that nobody's ever heard of...and if they have, it's too mainstream and falls off the elite list. Say what you will about Kid's music, but it's catchy and has themes that a lot of people can relate to. I can't think of a modern performer that puts on a better show, to be honest.

Besides all that, he's a genuinely nice guy [[I haven't met him personally, but have a couple of friends who have), and speaks very positively about and for the City of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    This is an acccurate assessment of what's happening according to my sources. I spoke to the owners of the Arcade, the liquor license and the coney's. They're all quite happy they've found someone with resources to open and operate. I wish them well, but I still wonder. This is a real tough economy.

Actually if you notice there are strong signs that the economy is on an upswing...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Actually if you notice there are strong signs that the economy is on an upswing...
    Please point them out to me.

I mean besides political drumbeating, and arcane facts and figures.

Ha ha! Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Please point them out to me.

Ummmmm....with the amounts of unprecedented [[in my life time)small businesses opening up and being planned for downtown, midtown the cass corridor and other places? I mean if the economy was still jacked then I probably think they'd still be doing it at this rate eh?

I still have to upload the pictures but a week or 2 ago from the parking structure next to the Book-Cadillac I got some great photos of people gutting out the "Arcade Bar Building". They were throwing all kinds of wood and things out of it into big dumpsters.

I think the last time I was in the Anchor Bar was in 1991 [[long story). If I remember correctly, wasn't there a pool table upstairs? I vaguely remember getting off work late at the Penobscot building and walking over to the Anchor and getting a pitcher of beer and shooting pool upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I think the last time I was in the Anchor Bar was in 1991 [[long story). If I remember correctly, wasn't there a pool table upstairs? I vaguely remember getting off work late at the Penobscot building and walking over to the Anchor and getting a pitcher of beer and shooting pool upstairs.
    Not the Anchor, the Arcade. The Anchor is on Fort. The Arcade is between Michigan and Lafayette, right next to where the Lafayette Building stood until the city foolishly knocked it down.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Not the Anchor, the Arcade. The Anchor is on Fort. The Arcade is between Michigan and Lafayette, right next to where the Lafayette Building stood until the city foolishly knocked it down.
    My bad, I meant the Anchor. Gotta say that I'm hoping for the best. Having an entertainment venue there would be awesome. Drink and rock out, then go next door and do the Lafayette thing. No one goes to All American anyway.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Are the upper floors American and Lafayette sealed? I've never seen an access point in either building to get up there.
    I'm curious of that as well. It seems like the second floor entrance for Lafayette Coney Island was on West Lafayette, while American Coney Island's second floor entrance was on Michigan Avenue.

Here are the pictures I promised a while back to post. Better late then never lol

Nice pics zak....we better get together next week I am done with school for a few weeks! When I ate ate the Lafayette last week, he said that they are re-opening the Arcade BAr! YEAH!

As a city bar fly, I couldn't be happier about the addition of another watering hole in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I'm serious. Every time I hear a Kid Rock song I want to vomit. His music is garbage, who actually listens to that crap and takes it seriously?
    Amen, amen, amen!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Tsk tsk, one must check out the website before buying thier fedoras!
    https://www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/our-history.html

Say what you want about Kid Rock, but hey at least he is filming his videos downtown and participating in the local economy. His shirts fund a music scholarship at WSU, and he supports local businesses.
    As much as I dislike KR, you're right on about his local involvement.

Ummmmm....with the amounts of unprecedented [[in my life time)small businesses opening up and being planned for downtown, midtown the cass corridor and other places? I mean if the economy was still jacked then I probably think they'd still be doing it at this rate eh?
    I don't know what the span of your lifetime is, but in the span of my lifetime, I've seen lots of things happen in downtown. I've also seen lots of things unhappen. It's bad enough we're in a depression, then you compound it by attempting to do business with Detroit city hall. Do these poor suckers know what they're in for? I wish them the best. They'll need lots of money and lots of patience and humility.

Brief update: I walked by Arcade after work today and renovations continue. The first floor has been entirely cleared out and looks good. The second and third floor windows are still out, but I know they are working up there because I held a ladder for a guy who was doing construction on the second floor last week. There have been lights on in the place on and off over the past month. Looks like it shouldn't be too long before it reopens- maybe next year sometime?

On another note, anyone know when the city is going to start working on the park that is supposed to be located on the Lafayette Bldg site? I wonder how long that corner is going to be a dusty pile of dirt....

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    On another note, anyone know when the city is going to start working on the park that is supposed to be located on the Lafayette Bldg site? I wonder how long that corner is going to be a dusty pile of dirt....
    Well, judging by the redevelopment status of other previous demolition sites such as the Tuller Hotel [[torn down in 1991 and still a dusty gravel lot today), The Statler Hotel and the Donovan Building [[both torn down in 2005 and both still weed choked lots today) I'd have to say don't hold your breath for anything to happen on the Lafayette site.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Well, judging by the redevelopment status of other previous demolition sites such as the Tuller Hotel [[torn down in 1991 and still a dusty gravel lot today), The Statler Hotel and the Donovan Building [[both torn down in 2005 and both still weed choked lots today) I'd have to say don't hold your breath for anything to happen on the Lafayette site.
    I would be surprised if we see anything before next Spring.

DC48080 Guest

I would be surprised if anybody sees anything before the dawn of the next century.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast