Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Threaded View

Default Imported Foods In Detroit Area-Ethnic Markets

I vaguely recall sometime back in the mid-eighties when I first started exlporing Detroit, traveling, I think it was somewhere between Eight and Six mile roads, a German themed store that sold food and assorted goods imported from Germany,maybe someone has a recollection of the place. Anyhow where are the good spots in Detroit to buy imported -ethnic foods. There is an African Marketon [[Livernois) that sells fresh Kenke, and I noticed a Carribean foods store on the Blvd that I think is closed now. Obviously Southwest Detroit is loaded with markets that sell imported food, how about the rest of the city.

I remember visiting a small mom and pop Italian market between and Eight and Six mile back in 96, think it was named Julians? There are some markets in Dearborn that are loaded with imported foods from Germany;Balkans;Greece;Egypt;Yemen etc. Joe and Eddies market on Schaefer has a large selection of bulk nuts and raisins [[not sure where they were harvested but the price is much lower in Dearborn than the markets around Ferndale) A very large selection of sweet treats and goodies can be found. Maybe its because we have so much mass produced food here, or the soil is better-whatever the reason the food quality to me seems better on much of the imported yummies. I gobbled a wafer bar covered in chocolate that was made in Lebanon and it tasted much better than the Little Debbie crap Ive ingested. Same with the Balkan cheeses and meats...honey made in Germany....Italian pastries....mmm
    Also world cultures have for many centuries have been modifying and perfecting flavors...
    Last edited by terryh; July-14-10 at 09:54 PM.