Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taco Trucks

Casscorridor there is one in Midtown at the 3rd street saloon in the parking lot in that canopy type area they have. It's really good, but I wonder if the bar allows you to drink in their canopy now?? Oh well that taco truck is really good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I read in one of the papers a while back about the emergence of Taco Trucks in the city.
    Emergence? Is that like when Columbus discovered the New World?

"Does anyone know where I can find a Taco truck? Do they run downtown or stay mainly in Mexican town? "

There's usually one on Central just north of John Kronk and it always has lots of people around it so it must be decent.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I suppose....or it more likely is that I am just discovering that there are Taco Trucks around here. I had never heard of one until I was in L.A. last year

or it could be like

white man "discovered" new world = white girl "discovers" Taco Truck

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    In terms of the restaurant industry, where conventional wisdom dictated the market was fully saturated, this is a powerful emerging concept to be reckoned with. The success of Kogi and other entrepreneurs has capped a decades-long evolution of the "taco truck" [[LA's cultural equivalent to the NYC sidewalk vendor) into a wide variety of cuisines.

In some areas of Los Angeles, like the Miracle Mile district along Wilshire, these roving restaurateurs are stealing up to 25-35% of the tony brick-and-mortar watering holes' lunch clientele. It is such a threat; traditional restaurants are currently lobbying the city council to have them banned from parking within a designated distance of an existing building-front restaurant.

Born out of a combination of the potpourri of Los Angeles' Latino, Asian, and Middle-Eastern ethnic communities, technology [[Twitter, texting, Facebook), and the economy [[reasonable prices rule), suddenly every pretentious "celebrity" chef in the city is scrambling to set up their own version as the tables at their expensive venues lie vacant during the Great Recession.

The interesting twist in this incarnation of the restaurant is that it is all about good food at a good price. There is no "atmosphere", no entertainment, and no attractive wait staff to justify a pricey menu, so it will be interesting to see who succeeds and who fails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogi_Korean_BBQ

McGraw and Proctor across from the Sunoco gas station as well as McGraw just east of Martin on the south side.

that doesnt sound very safe to eat.

Default Taco trucks

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Mainly SW Detroit. Not really Mexicantown per se, but in areas where there are lots of Mexicans living.
    Ditto. I first saw them on the SW of Detroit before I moved to San Francisco/Bay area. But didn't hit them up until I got here. They're good. Burritos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    "Roach coach" is what we call them in south Florida.
    That's what a couple of guys call them here. I think most of it is stereotyping though.

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    That's what a couple of guys call them here. I think most of it is stereotyping though.
    Or, it might be all in fun.

I'm pretty sure there are more than 2 taco trucks on Vernor. I see a string of them every summer evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbound View Post
    Casscorridor there is one in Midtown at the 3rd street saloon in the parking lot in that canopy type area they have. It's really good, but I wonder if the bar allows you to drink in their canopy now?? Oh well that taco truck is really good though.

The one at 3rd Street Saloon is pretty good. They do allow drinks on the patio but not sure if they take orders out there. You may have to go inside to order.

Quote Originally Posted by bike4beer View Post
    The one at 3rd Street Saloon is pretty good. They do allow drinks on the patio but not sure if they take orders out there. You may have to go inside to order.
    My roommate and I ate there a few Sundays back, HUGE portions for not alot of $$$$. Good Eats!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2