Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
How many times did they mention how dangerous Detroit is? Six? Seven?
I noticed that as well- It seemed like, in that episode, anyway, that he/the show were portraying himself as tough-folk shopkeepers in a Wild West frontier town, where literally every day there’s some kind of violent drama, somebody to forcibly kick out .. and heck, let’s be real, 8 mile and Greenfield, I head past there any time I go to Northland Mall & vicinity, it’s not a war zone.. [[there’s a segment where Les is speaking to his security staff, and stressing that he would absolutely “die for [[this place)”.. really? son Seth is vaguely implied to be a wimp when he expresses ambivalence at going through gun training..
The owner Les comes across as kind of smarmy, to be frank. ..and I don’t know if Les has a rep for lowballing people or trying to negotiate discounts wherever he buys stuff at other places, but anyway..
There’s a segment toward the end of the episode where the family goes to a gun shop to buy guns for everyone, but at the end, Les asks for some kind of deal/discount on the holsters [[he claims he was buying $3000 worth of stuff) and the owner/manager goes ballistic, throws everybody out.. I don’t know how much was edited, but it was a bizarre exchange..
I stumbled across the show last night, watched the whole thing, semi-grudgingly. I half-remembered members of the family apparently appearing on WJLB to promote the pilot episodes some months ago, but had forgotten all about it until actually seeing the show.
I have only rarely been to pawn shops, and never to sell anything [[I use Ebay). I remember going to a place on E. 8 mile and…Van Dyke, maybe.. I remember at the time there were radio ads about the place, new facility, “lots of stuff to choose from”.. but I go in there, and really, it’s kind of bare.. lots of older, creaky-looking electronic items, lawn equipment and such.. I ended up buying a used dvd for $3 but I have no incentive to go back and browse..