Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
What!?! What is going on!?? People are crying about losing the ugly modernist building on Woodward, and now we have others saying their FAVORITE BUILDING IN MIDTOWN, HANDS DOWN is this nondescript "reading room" ugly-as-hell little abandoned craphole... I know my favorite building is the giant, white, windowless, concrete blighted box across from Curl Up & Dye.... That's a real gem.

Whatever happened to our appreciation for REAL architecture? These are precisely the buildings that NEED to be knocked down in Midtown .... Wayne State is playing it smart. There are intelligent people and the UCCA behind them. I really doubt historic structures will continue to see the wrecking ball. On the contrary, Wayne State understands that all the crappy prefab modernist architecture from the 70s-90s in Midtown would better serve the neighborhood by being replaced with something more in line with our better buildings.

My REAL favorite buildings in Midtown: Old Main, Stuberstone, Masonic Temple, Garfield Building, Maccabees Building, DPL, Rackham Hall, all of Ferry Street.... I could go on. Since when are crappy one-story windowless 1970s concrete buildings our 'favorite buildings in Midtown, hands down'? Our standards have really dropped far.
Perhaps we're referring to two different buildings.

While I can certainly appreciate the architecture of the easy to identify buildings, I appreciate even more the details of Detroit that you must stumble upon.

I have no architectural education or training. Which means, I'm free to find beauty in structures that not everyone else will.

It's too bad that Old Main and the Garfield building will be surrounded by crappy prefab architecture from the 2010's. The old CSRR happens to appear to NOT be from the 70's, but much older. It is short, stocky, and sturdy. I like the way that looks. Sue me.