Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit House Listed "Foreclosed" - But Newly Inhabited. What Can Be Deduced

I am concerned about a property behind me. It was empty and boarded up [[not by a professional service) for several months. Now two women and their small children are hanging out on the porch. A few dogs. They seem to live there but are not treating the property as if they owned it [[no lawn-cutting or clean-up, etc.) I would guess them to be renters but went I just looked the property up on Wayne CountyTax Record site the listing says "FORECLOSED PROPERTY" - all caps and in red. No listing of who may have owned it previously [[who might be renting it out somewhat illegally).

Wayne County wouldn't have placed these women there, do you think? Are they likely squatters? If their kids were teens I would be more worried about them squatting because we have alot of trouble with teens that are way too much for their mothers to handle and get to school. But I have seen squatters, too and they aren't usually good to a property - not that this property is anything but a small, mean house.

DC48080 Guest

Perhaps the house was sold in a foreclosure sale and the records just have not been updated yet.

Its a possibility.
    I do think the Registrar's office is more than two mos. behind in postings from what I have seen recently. But nothing was ever posted on the house as I have seen with other foreclosure sales.

The foreclosed owner would have a 6 month right of redemption following the foreclosure sale during which he/she retains all rights of ownership, but only during the 6 month period.

How about walking up to the fence an introducing yourself?

[[Or if you're feeling brave maybe you can make it all the way to the porch )

I'm not trying to be a jackass, just pointing out that the people living in the house probably know more about the situation than those of us on DYES...

When I moved into a HUD house I bought my neighbor called the cops thinking I was a squatter. When I heard the back door open I grabbed my bat & threw the door to the kitchen open. Good thing I dropped the bat quickly!

Yes, you have a good idea there! I will walk right up and ask them if they own the house or are renting or are squatting! Sure to get a correct answer from those babes with their cigarettes hanging from their fingers, beers in hand and empties all over.

Do you live in SW Detroit? I have lived here for 30 years and I know that is a suburban way of doing things [[going up to the porch and introducing yourself)! it is not done to people who have husbands in prison [[very common) or drug-dealer boyfriends and kids they want to keep from Child Protective Services oversight. Better to let them be anonymous to the neighbors, or else there will be frantic rap on your door in the middle of the night about needing help to escape abuse [[she will go right back) or just got money and need to have ride to the all-night store, or any of a dozen needs that get tiring or frightening to deal with.

My thought in coming here first was to learn if/whether Wayne County or banks are putting people in houses now after they take possession. People on this board know a lot of things!

Here's an easy one... is there electricity on in that house at night?

Just bought a boarded-up house in the city a month ago, and Wayne County has yet to update its records [[even though we've paid the taxes on the home). It's possible that Wayne County's site is slow to update, or maybe because the property has changed hands several times in the last year.

Is it possible they're restoring it from the inside out? How long have they been "hanging out" on the porch? The neighbors on all sides of us noticed we were hanging around our house too and asked what we were doing there. We said we bought the house and are fixing it up. They offered their tools. And if these people are doing what we are doing, they might have done a cash sale and avoiding taking out any loans to refurbish it -- thus living off paychecks and savings, making for a prolonged renovation process on a tight budget.

We don't have electricity in our house for the moment, thus we can't install a security system to keep stuff -- like a lawn mower or other valuable gardening equipment, perhaps -- in the home. There's lots of reasons why they could be there beyond squatting.

Aha! i will keep a look-out! Altho, on second thought, the gang girls who moved into their mother's bank-foreclosed house next door to me two summers ago wired up the house even though the meter had been removed [[really, it was gone).

The electric meter is a great tip. Observe closely. There may be lights but no meter [[the terminals can be jumped). There may be a meter [[it might be spun to the side), or a box, but look for a wire that might be tied to another neighbors [[in the case of a duplex). Meters are hot commodities within the last year, [[Edison takes them out, so they steal someone elses), so check the pole to see if the wire leading to the house is connected [[Edison started cutting at the pole last summer). In any of these cases, call Edison, as they are an interested party when it comes to electrictiy, for safety and theft reasons. You and I pay for that. Given the condition of the lawn and general upkeep you describe, there is a good chance they are sqatting. Dogs keep Edison from getting to the backyard.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Yes, you have a good idea there! I will walk right up and ask them if they own the house or are renting or are squatting! Sure to get a correct answer from those babes with their cigarettes hanging from their fingers, beers in hand and empties all over.

Do you live in SW Detroit? I have lived here for 30 years and I know that is a suburban way of doing things [[going up to the porch and introducing yourself)! it is not done to people who have husbands in prison [[very common) or drug-dealer boyfriends and kids they want to keep from Child Protective Services oversight. Better to let them be anonymous to the neighbors, or else there will be frantic rap on your door in the middle of the night about needing help to escape abuse [[she will go right back) or just got money and need to have ride to the all-night store, or any of a dozen needs that get tiring or frightening to deal with.

My thought in coming here first was to learn if/whether Wayne County or banks are putting people in houses now after they take possession. People on this board know a lot of things!
    You are tired of helping your neighbors?

Granted, I've only lived here for five or so years, but....

I'd say that it's a very safe bet that you're dealing with squatters.

Drop a dime on them to the county and let them handle it.

I vote with the squatter crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    The foreclosed owner would have a 6 month right of redemption following the foreclosure sale during which he/she retains all rights of ownership, but only during the 6 month period.
    That must be a new law or maybe a law unique to Michigan. I've researched and it's 30 no more than 60 days after final judgement, The local sheriff evicts. The bank immediately puts in a eviction notice.... I heard of people renting the house back from the bank.....

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I am concerned about a property behind me. It was empty and boarded up [[not by a professional service) for several months. Now two women and their small children are hanging out on the porch. A few dogs. They seem to live there but are not treating the property as if they owned it [[no lawn-cutting or clean-up, etc.) I would guess them to be renters but went I just looked the property up on Wayne CountyTax Record site the listing says "FORECLOSED PROPERTY" - all caps and in red. No listing of who may have owned it previously [[who might be renting it out somewhat illegally).

Wayne County wouldn't have placed these women there, do you think? Are they likely squatters? If their kids were teens I would be more worried about them squatting because we have alot of trouble with teens that are way too much for their mothers to handle and get to school. But I have seen squatters, too and they aren't usually good to a property - not that this property is anything but a small, mean house.
    The link below is to a story on how bank owned foreclosed homes are being illegally occupied by squatters claiming ownership due to their "status" as "Sovereign" citizens. This is happening all over the country.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-bat...ry?id=11445382

jbd441 - This is not a new law.

MCLA 600.3240

[[8) Subject to subsections [[9) to [[11), for a mortgage executed on or after January 1, 1965, on residential property not exceeding 4 units and not more than 3 acres in size, if the amount claimed to be due on the mortgage at the date of the notice of foreclosure is more than 66-2/3% of the original indebtedness secured by the mortgage, the redemption period is 6 months. [[emphasis added)