Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I saw folks playing ball there last week. I thought it was pretty cool and wished I had time to stop and join the game. Who wouldn't want to take a few swings where Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Reggie Jackson and so many other legends stood? It had the feel of rebirth, like starting all over again.

Sometime back in the 1880's or 1890's out on the edge of town some kids probably said, "Hey, let's play a game of ball out on that field at Michigan and Trumbull." Maybe the cops even chased them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Maybe you and those who would like to use this field could contact the city council and mayor and ask that the field be turned into a public park.</p>

...of course, the city would have to close it like all the other parks.
    Maybe not. From the New Center Park thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I believe this park will be maintained by New Center Council, not the CoD.
    Don't they have a neighborhood association over there?
    Or maybe if they secede, the village can pick up that expense... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you've noticed that society has become much more litiguous in the last 40-50 years.
    Yep, very sad to be a liberal that expects personal responsibility.

But, it would have been fun to play a game on that field.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    This happens a lot on this board...all this hatin' on the socially conscious from out of right field. Who cares, what does that have to do with anything?
    Last edited by fryar; July-01-10 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post

But, it would have been fun to play a game on that field.
    Agree on both counts.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    everything between the dugouts is still there isn't it?
    Nope, the pancaked the entire structure and hauled it away. The field is still there though. It looks like Ernie Harwell field will have to wait.

oops.. I was misinformed. will repost if I corrrect myself.
    Last edited by n7hn; July-01-10 at 08:33 PM.

The cops need to go to Comerica Park and kick out the Tigers, they're horrible.

DetroitDad Guest

They drove on the field!?

That's sort of disrespectful, isn't it?

I saw you guys!! I thought the cops were there playing ball too. That would have been a hoot. Across from Hoot's, bata bing!

Another frustratingly mind-numbing reason why this is such a dysfunctional town. What did they think would happen? There's a baseball field, on a fabled site. And a flag flying in center field. And the populace actually enjoys using this, now, vacant lot, then told to leave.
    And they are told to leave. This, from a city that doesn't so much as require demo companies [[or owners) to put a fence around most structures when they're crumbling or being demo'd, [[don't believe me, drive down Chene), which is a huge liabililty, and yet, here we have an instance where the structure is gone.

But nothing progressive will happen with this site, because at no time in the past or in the present does the city have any viable plan or vision for this piece of land, but, boy, is it holding out for that one great, pie-in-the-sky opportunity....for over ten years now. And, lo, by their actions, the people have spoken, but will be turned upon deaf ears by those in charge.

And sadly, the "trespassing" will continue, the sporadic enforcement always undercutting the enjoyment, and another vacant lot with a busted fence will sit there as an embarrassment for all to see. Oh, and I called this a dysfunctional town. Not really, it is a fucked-up town, becoming more embarrassingly fucked up by the day. Another reason why people are leaving in droves, and city management still doesn't get it, or even give a rat's ass.

What has happened to Tiger Stadium is shameful, a humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    And a flag flying in center field. .
    Actually we don't even have that anymore, because some asshole from the Demolition Company, DEGC, or the city cut wire on the flag pole when they took down the flag last month and even went as far as to remove the tiedown at the bottom of the pole to prevent it from being used

Worthless piece-of-shit city.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Worthless piece-of-shit city.
    Do you like suing people?

The old Minnesota twins park still has the Home plate intact, emmbedded in stone. They built the 'mall of america' right where it once was!

Are there any plans for Mich & Trumbull? When I lived in Corktown in the '90, I proposed at neighborhood meetings that something that resembled downtown Birmingham [[MI) with an historic tie in to Corktown would be fitting. Yuppies, tweeners, and baby boomers could have a place to hang out along with some condos above a la Birmingham. Bring in some artists and gays, and you have a successful happening place.

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Technically they can. A friend of mine who runs a pool supply store had a customer buy a pool cover. A neighbor kid broke through his fence twice to use his pool. He called the police both times with proof of the break-in. The third time the kid jumped on the pool cover, got tangled up and drown. His parents sued this guy and won even though there were cited complaints again the kid breaking though the fence.

We live in a "I can sue anyone for any reason" society.
    Pretty sure you're just putting a slight twist on an old urban myth. In Michigan, you cannot bring any case if an average person, "upon casual inspection" would have noticed whatever defect caused you to become injured. That covers just about everything. As applied by our courts, that has been interpreted to prevent a blind man who fell in a restroom where the faucet had been left running and was overflowing from being able to recover for injuries. Because the average person would have noticed the wet floor.

A landowner owes no duty to a trespasser, so you probably don't even have to get that far in the analysis. But assuming there's something "wrong" with the field that could conceivably cause an injury, and assuming you're not trespassing, there's still no liability. At least not in Michigan. The city probably just didn't want these people making a show of their blight, which seems to have been the point.

Over-litigiousness is overrated. Insurers raise rates because they can, because we expect it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2