Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why would you close the parks in the middle of summer? Thats just mean.

Sad reality. New park sign for our hard time? "The Bucks Stopped Here".

Hopefully we won't have a revisiting the 'non-residents'-using-'our'-parks issue in surrounding communities as Detroiters seek recreation elsewhere.

Lowell, not sure what you mean by "revisiting non resident rules" in near burbs. They voted resoundingly [[east area riverfront burbs) to exclude non residents who would pay a fee to enjoy well maintained parks.

Parks and recreation are critical to anchor neighborhoods. In a survey done by the city, not all that long ago, recreation maintainance was high on the list on resident desires.

Thirty years ago, city unions blocked volunteer efforts but this is no longer the case. I have dedicated many many hours of personal labor and funds to maintain our gems and admit to being stymied when efforts get vandalized.

Not exactly on point, but our neighbor across the street and who maintains a beautiful and manicured home and yard, had visitors who tossed trash from their car into the street.

Sadly, we trotted out and picked up the trash. Perhaps we should have mentioned it to her, but is she responsible for the bad behavior of her visitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Hopefully we won't have a revisiting the 'non-residents'-using-'our'-parks issue in surrounding communities as Detroiters seek recreation elsewhere.
    They are free to move to grosse pointe and receive all the benefits of residency...and the tax burden as well.

If you know Detroit, you'll know that all of these parks are not small or insignficant. Many are large and very significant [[Palmer Park and Rouge etc.), especially those by the water such as Fort Wayne and Riverside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    With all the vacant land in the city, are many of these small parks really necessary? When a city is fully populated, it makes sense to set aside areas for recreation; but nowadays in Detroit, you could have your picnic or pick-up baseball game just about anywhere [[provided you're willing to harvest the grains).

I took a look at the posted list, Rouge is Detroit's largest park and more like 1,200 acres, much larger than what is indicated on the list.

Makes me question whether the whole park will be shut.

Default City of Detroit Council Contact INFO!

Let's contact the council members and find out!

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...Film/FAQs.aspx

Charles Pugh
    313.224.4510 [[office)

313.224.0230 [[fax)

CouncilPresidentPugh@detroitmi.gov

Gary Brown

[[313) 224-2450

CouncilMemberBrown@detroitmi.gov

Saunteel Jenkins
    [[313) 224-4248 [[office)
    [[313) 224-1787 [[fax)
    E-mail:
    councilmemberjenkins@detroitmi.gov

Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr
    [[313) 224-4505 [[office)
    [[313) 224-0367 [[fax)
    E-mail: CockrelK@kcockrel.ci.detroit.mi.us

Brenda Jones
    [[313) 224-1245 [[office)
    [[313) 224-4095 [[fax)
    E-mail: bjones_mb@cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
    Contact Person: Thea White, Chief of Staff

André L. Spivey

[[313) 224-4841
    [[office)
[[313) 224-0369 [[fax)

E-mail: CouncilmanSpivey@detroitmi.gov

James Tate
    [[313) 224-1027 [[office)
    [[313) 224-0372 [[fax)
    E-mail: councilmembertate@detroitmi.gov

Kwame Kenyatta
    [[313) 224-1198 [[office)

[[313) 224-1684 [[fax)

E-mail: K-Kenyatta_MB@detroitmi.gov

JoAnn Watson

[[313) 224-4535 [[office)
[[313) 224-1524 [[fax)
    E-mail: WatsonJ@cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
    Contact Person: Sandra James
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post

The list appears to be 100% political. Bing isn't hiding the fact that he's trying to tar the Council with this. Too bad our esteemed media is more interest in being a stenographer for the Mayor's Office instead of digging into the real motivations for this list.

Closing 77 Detroit Public Parks is a recall petition waiting to happen. The choice is yours. Let KING BING do his thing or recall him.

Would the last one out of Detroit please turn off the lights......just sayin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

If the Detroit Yes Forum Picnic were to happen after July 1st, during the closing of Detroit Parks [[ including Belle Isle) We might as well be a another suburban park far, far away or some Metropark that we would have to pay a fee for a picnic spot.

If the Detroit Parks close after July 1st, most suburban parks will see more Detroiters hanging around there.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase it might happen soon.

Neda, I miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If the Detroit Parks close after July 1st, most suburban parks will see more Detroiters hanging around there.
    [/B]
    Too late! Already done. We've been going to suburban parks for at least the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Let's contact the council members and find out!

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...Film/FAQs.aspx

Charles Pugh
    313.224.4510 [[office)

313.224.0230 [[fax)

CouncilPresidentPugh@detroitmi.gov

Gary Brown

[[313) 224-2450

CouncilMemberBrown@detroitmi.gov

Saunteel Jenkins
    [[313) 224-4248 [[office)
    [[313) 224-1787 [[fax)
    E-mail:
    councilmemberjenkins@detroitmi.gov

Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr
    [[313) 224-4505 [[office)
    [[313) 224-0367 [[fax)
    E-mail: CockrelK@kcockrel.ci.detroit.mi.us

Brenda Jones
    [[313) 224-1245 [[office)
    [[313) 224-4095 [[fax)
    E-mail: bjones_mb@cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
    Contact Person: Thea White, Chief of Staff

André L. Spivey

[[313) 224-4841
    [[office)
[[313) 224-0369 [[fax)

E-mail: CouncilmanSpivey@detroitmi.gov

James Tate
    [[313) 224-1027 [[office)
    [[313) 224-0372 [[fax)
    E-mail: councilmembertate@detroitmi.gov

Kwame Kenyatta
    [[313) 224-1198 [[office)

[[313) 224-1684 [[fax)

E-mail: K-Kenyatta_MB@detroitmi.gov

JoAnn Watson

[[313) 224-4535 [[office)
[[313) 224-1524 [[fax)
    E-mail: WatsonJ@cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
    Contact Person: Sandra James

Why? They aren't in charge of managing the budget or the departments. I contacted the General Services Department to find out what was going on and was told that the closures would have to take place due to City Council's cuts. I then asked them if they had spent all of their money for this fiscal year as afar as park maintenance was concerned and grass cutting, especially considering that the contracts had been approved some time ago. After acknowledging that the contracts had been approved and the money was there, GSD said that they just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I then questioned whether GSD had the authority by ordinance or charter to shut down the parks and was told what I already suspected. They don't. The Recreation Department is in charge of parks, GSD just performs the maintenance work.

When I asked the Recreation Department if they were going to close the parks due to GSD not performing the maintenance. The guy on the other end said "I don't know why we would. As far behind as they always are, we'd never be open."

That's why I love talking to the people that work somewhere, but, aren't in charge. They'll give you the truth.

Their is now an event for the protest at Palmer Park... This event will be for all park closure fights in Detroit as we want to form an alliance to fight our park closures!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...6225879&ref=mf

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Close Rouge Park and Palmer? I must be seeing things. Fort Wayne? This is fucked up. The list looks like every single park in Detroit! Detroit Rises, indeed!

Stromberg2
    Fort Wayne?? The same Fort Wayne that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971??
    This is disturbing!!

neighbor Guest

and everybody said "who can't keep the grass cut" when Kwame said he got the grass cut.

I'll give him that. The grass was cut more when he was in charge.

EastSider Guest

Thanks for the contact info for the council members. I sent them, along with Mayor Bing, a note urging them to stand firm in cutting the budget.

Here's a news flash: THE CITY OF DETROIT IS NEAR BANKRUPTCY. Cuts are going to have to be made to balance the budget. There's no way the city could raise taxes on the few remaining residents any higher, especially considering that more than half of the city is below the poverty level.

The city either cuts now, or sits with their political thumbs up their asses until an Emergency Financial Manager comes in and shepherds the city through a Chapter 9 filing.

If Bing really wanted the city straightened out, he wouldn't still have so much of Team Kilpatrick in city hall. Norman Fucking White couldn't count past 10 without removing his shoes. Why is that idiot still in there?

CUT, CUT, CUT!!!!!!!

My message to them is that while I DO understand the need for cuts, the number of parks slated to close is very high and the savings justification not clear. Especially in light of other expenses like the personal ones that the council continues to lavish upon themselves, etc.

I also asked about the containment of these closed parks peppering the town and the required policing therein? Do we not have enough abandoned "open spaces"? Which become hovels of hidden crimes... dumping etc.

In any event [[and outcome) the remaining citizens will have to make some fast crucial choices regarding Detroit.

No doubt and the most crucial one will be rather or not to stay. Take away more emenities and for sure no one is going to want to come to this town except to work the few remaining jobs and sprint to the nearest freeways to get back out... stadiums and superbowls be darned.

I heard someone state well the rich, snobbish folk remaining in Detroit should get out if they don't like it! Great, then what? Why the contempt for those few remaining backs the infrastructure is being maintained by?

Can a city really function absent of the working stiffs and so-called rich tax contributions. Show me how it can? I guess once we get some "stimulus" money all will be calm and wonderful.......
    Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Thanks for the contact info for the council members. I sent them, along with Mayor Bing, a note urging them to stand firm in cutting the budget.

Here's a news flash: THE CITY OF DETROIT IS NEAR BANKRUPTCY. Cuts are going to have to be made to balance the budget. There's no way the city could raise taxes on the few remaining residents any higher, especially considering that more than half of the city is below the poverty level.

The city either cuts now, or sits with their political thumbs up their asses until an Emergency Financial Manager comes in and shepherds the city through a Chapter 9 filing.

If Bing really wanted the city straightened out, he wouldn't still have so much of Team Kilpatrick in city hall. Norman Fucking White couldn't count past 10 without removing his shoes. Why is that idiot still in there?

CUT, CUT, CUT!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-10 at 02:04 PM.

Really this should be the goal, not a worst case. Bing says he's a one termer...ok Bing, show everyone how serious you are, pull the trigger on chpt 9. leave the next guy with a clean slate.

PS. Speaking of cuts, [[I'll not win any friends with this question) but did the larger AFSCME segment of city workers agree to any major concessions? DFT AFLCIO did... I know the buss drivers and other did, but what about the larger local which constitute a large union segment of workers... If no one is taking concession this may be Bings way of punishment and threat... all in one. Just a thought.

CUT, CUT, CUT!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-10 at 02:22 PM.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Really this should be the goal, not a worst case. Bing says he's a one termer...ok Bing, show everyone how serious you are, pull the trigger on chpt 9. leave the next guy with a clean slate.
    The mayor can not file Chapter 9 with the approval of an emergency financial manager and the state government. But I agree that a filing now would be better than waiting for another year or two.

The mayor can not file Chapter 9 with the approval of an emergency financial manager and the state government. But I agree that a filing now would be better than waiting for another year or two.
    yeah, i know. I guess what I was saying was he needs to get behind it, advocate for it...etc. If he really is the one termer he says he is, let's stop the pretense that the city is not insolvent.

I don't like the threat by Bing of " closing " the parks. It is brinksmanship. He is trying to see how strong and competent this new council is with Pugh at the helm. I don't care for either one of them. Pugh should have stayed at the news desk. But this is what we have. It is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Those budgets Kwame never got in on time or fiscal reports are coming back to bite Detroit in the butt and this is all moot anyway I am sorry to say. Detroit will be in recievership by the end of Bing's term. Our insurance cannot cover all the liability, payouts that are coming from all the lawsuits pending. We are in deep doo doo folks.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I think that would be considered "union busting."
    I suspect you're right with the adopt-a-park [[like adopt-a-highway). The City of Windsor had a strike last year and none of the parks were mowed for months even though a lot of the residents tried out of a sense of volunteerism and decency. In almost all the cases, the police sided with the unions in not allowing volunteers to cut the grass in the parks.

Yeah, well stated... I used to argue with folks justifying the late audits and smoke and mirrors that was part of Kilpatricks obfuscation of the real debt...

All done to save his own butt, while telling the fools how much he was "down for the city and the peeps".

All done to concealing his stealing, friends and family hook-ups -- especially at the end when he was in full damage-control mode and little else!! Still some would elect him back in a heart beat, poor persecuted soul he is -- don't cha' know....

In the mean time we are hear stuck at the ranch... with the roof nearly blown off... well some us are - stuck -- some are out of here!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    ...It is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Those budgets Kwame never got in on time or fiscal reports are coming back to bite Detroit in the butt and this is all moot anyway I am sorry to say. Detroit will be in recievership by the end of Bing's term. Our insurance cannot cover all the liability, payouts that are coming from all the lawsuits pending. We are in deep doo doo folks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-10 at 06:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast