Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Just look at the meltdown in the computer software industry. Now software is developed in India, while many educated USA computer programmer/analysts are out of work. The software comes into the USA business community with all the speed of the Internet.

There is NO tarrifs or controls or customs checks on software... it just gets here via high speed data networks... un-restricted, un-tarrifed, and un-controlled.

... and people wonder where some of the high paying jobs have gone...
    In 1984, I was at COMDEX here in Atlanta. I got a tri-fold marketing piece that was produced by the Indian Government [[still have it) that touted India's commitment to software and high tech. I heard about that time that India had discovered that most Americans considered software development too hard a way to make a living. So, India saw an opportunity and ran with it. They subsidized high tech educations and companies until they began leading the world.

I guess I buck the trend. I've been developing software applications now for 23 years and we have customers in 60 countries. But, I agree that it is a very difficult way to make a living. In 23 years I've never been able to find anyone that would financially back us in projects. So, from time to time, I have considered moving to India.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    My bad....my mind is back in 2008 when the two were equal.
    I believe that was only the 2nd or 3rd time in history their dollar was at par or worth more then ours.

Hard to comment on anything, think my eyes are going south after 40 yrs.Ya know when I think of it , Back in the 80's we laughed in Auto Shop when Kia came out and had their little car.We were thinking "Yugo",What did a bunch of High School kids know.

Greed what makes American great. Greed will destroy American in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I believe that was only the 2nd or 3rd time in history their dollar was at par or worth more then ours.
    And our exports shot up. Whirlpool is reporting poor profits because the dollar is too strong. Not always so great having a strong dollar, especially when our trade partners artificially keep theirs lower so their products cost less here. [[Don't bring it up though, they'll cry foul to the WTO)

This Russian Prof and his map sound [[and look) suspiciously familiar...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_Union

Not that there isn't some serious bad you-know-what coming down the line with the bankruptcy filings of GM & Chrysler in the near-future. The continuing credit crisis shutting down the markets. And when there is a run on the banks, it'll be game over at that point [[the FDIC is estimated to have only 5% of the funds available in the event that they do need to pay back depositors).

Don't believe me about the FDIC being in dire straits, don't click here then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2