Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 263 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    I do recall the record store across from Kresge's but can't remember the name. I also remember a small shop on the other end of the mall, across from the Krogers and the Orange Julius stand, that sold 45's. They would have the top 40 on the wall. That was were I used to get the weekely Keener top 40 list as well. Hmm, I think there was a hot pretzel place down there as well [[Hot Sam's?)
    I completely forgot about the record shop in the Kroger building but do recall when Hot Sams opened. I remember getting those as a treat [[absolutely loaded with mustard) after "assisting" with grocery shopping at Kroger.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    I completely forgot about the record shop in the Kroger building but do recall when Hot Sams opened. I remember getting those as a treat [[absolutely loaded with mustard) after "assisting" with grocery shopping at Kroger.
    I don't remember a Kroger at Eastland. Where was it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It was pain in pursuit of knowledge, so it was worth it to her. You had to know her to appreciate her.
    I guess I better follow the bouncing ball . The ouch comment was directed at the Spartans.

Default St. Jude Visit

Hey all,

This is probably old news here but there is a huge collection of St. Jude grads that are on Facebook. We toured the school a couple weeks back. One of the grads, has taken tons of pictures of the old neighborhood. If you haven't seen it in a while you will be moved. The school was empty but in decent shape. Rm. 100 still had the same light blue carpet that was there when I went in the 70's and early 80's. I don't post here like I used to because Facebook has taken up so much of my time but I will continue to check in.

There is a reunion planned that will take place at Rubustos at 7 and Mack on April 24th around 9. The people that will be there mostly graduated between 81-86.

It was pain in pursuit of knowledge, so it was worth it to her. You had to know her to appreciate her.
    Yes, but why does knowledge have ot hurt so much! Noby told me there would be days like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Jazz View Post
    Hey all,

This is probably old news here but there is a huge collection of St. Jude grads that are on Facebook. We toured the school a couple weeks back. One of the grads, has taken tons of pictures of the old neighborhood. If you haven't seen it in a while you will be moved. The school was empty but in decent shape. Rm. 100 still had the same light blue carpet that was there when I went in the 70's and early 80's. I don't post here like I used to because Facebook has taken up so much of my time but I will continue to check in.

There is a reunion planned that will take place at Rubustos at 7 and Mack on April 24th around 9. The people that will be there mostly graduated between 81-86.
    Robusto's is the Cigar Bar? Interesting place to hold a reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    Robusto's is the Cigar Bar? Interesting place to hold a reunion.
    Yeah, these young people from the 80's don't realize that the nuns may come back to haunt them for lesser infractions than a reunion in a bar.

Yeah, these young people from the 80's don't realize that the nuns may come back to haunt them for lesser infractions than a reunion in a bar.
    Yeah! And wait till Fr. Ording finds out they have been smoking. Oh Mother Mary help them all!!!

I don't remember a Kroger at Eastland. Where was it?
    It was on the end of the mall closest to Kelly Road [[as opposed to kellyroad, lol). I guess it was near where the Target is now.

When was it built?

While we're on the subject of record stores, there were a couple of others in the hood I remember. One was next to the Civic theater, it was a music shop as well. I got my first Beatles record there [[a 45, "Do You Want To Know a Secret"/"Thank You Girl". I believe it was right after they were on the Sullivan show, and it may have been the only Beatles record in stock!). I also remember buying guitar strings there. The other one was on Kelly Road, a few blocks south of Notre Dame. I remember my brother would stop there on his way home from ND [[mid to late 60's) and pick up the Keener list. I think it was probably gone by the time I started ND in 72. Anyone remember the names of these places?

When was it built?
    I couldn't tell you really. I seem to always remember it being there, my earliest memory of it must have been like '64 or so. I do remember it being taken out, and that whole wing being replaced by something else. Was that when the Penney's was added? What year was the mall enclosed, does anyone remember?

Was one of them Morreale?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    While we're on the subject of record stores, there were a couple of others in the hood I remember. One was next to the Civic theater, it was a music shop as well. I got my first Beatles record there [[a 45, "Do You Want To Know a Secret"/"Thank You Girl". I believe it was right after they were on the Sullivan show, and it may have been the only Beatles record in stock!). I also remember buying guitar strings there. The other one was on Kelly Road, a few blocks south of Notre Dame. I remember my brother would stop there on his way home from ND [[mid to late 60's) and pick up the Keener list. I think it was probably gone by the time I started ND in 72. Anyone remember the names of these places?
    The one next to the Civic Theater was Civic Music, I think. But I think there was a Grinnell Bros. piano store there, too.

Eastland was enclosed in 1975.
    I still can't place a Kroger store. Was it stand alone, or was it in the mall?
    By 'in the mall' I mean connected to the other stores.

TSomyak - I remember that store - that's where I got my first Beatles album! I can see the cover, but can't remember the name. I also remember the bin at Kresges where they had 45's for 10 and 20 cents. I still have some really old 45s from there [[yeah, like there are NEW 45s) anyway, don't know why I kept them, but you never know when you're in the mood for the 45 sound of Herman's Hermits!

Krogers was there in the later 60s for sure, J, and was "connected" ... eventually.

The music store on Kelly closer to the high schools sold bootleg tapes from what I remember.

This was posted on the a Civic Theater thread from another forum.

THERE
    WAS GRINNELL BROTHERS PIANOS ON THE CORNER AND CINDYS CARD SHOP. A SHEET MUSIC STORE NAME MOREALLE MUSIC WAS DIRECTLY NEXT DOOR.

In my mind, I can picture where Hudson's was, as well as the Shiffrin-Willin's Jeweler, the Kresge, the Corey's Jewel Box, Winkelman's, Baker's Shoes, Marianne's but for the life of me, not Kroger.
    In spatial relativity to Kresge or Hudson's, where the hell was it??

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    This was posted on the a Civic Theater thread from another forum.

THERE
    WAS GRINNELL BROTHERS PIANOS ON THE CORNER AND CINDYS CARD SHOP. A SHEET MUSIC STORE NAME MOREALLE MUSIC WAS DIRECTLY NEXT DOOR.
    I knew if I kept saying Grinell's was somewhere, I'd eventually get it right.

JCole - Krogers was the last store in the mall nearest to Kelly. I don't know what would compare with that now...with the larger parking lots and added stores -

Houston-Whittier also had Papes House of Gifts - Dad ALWAYS went there for Mom's gifts for Anniversary or Christmas. I believe they were later taken over by a bicycle store. Papes was across from Cunninghams.

JC I see you've reached Senior Member status. Did that happen when you went past 100 posts?

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    JC I see you've reached Senior Member status. Did that happen when you went past 100 posts?
    It must have. I wasn't paying attention. I was trying to figure out where Kroger's was.

OK, last try. Was it by any chance in the same building where the Hudson Pantry shop and Alexander/Hornung were? That was kind of where I would enter the shopping center when walking over from Regina. The jewelry store was kitty-corner, and there was a fountain court right there with benches, etc.

Ok, Z, where does it say status? If I still have that youthful glow, and am not a senior yet - I want to know it! :-)

YES! Exactly!

Page 9 of 263 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 109 ... LastLast