Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 8 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 108 ... LastLast

The Spartans are in need of St. Jude's intercession.

I do recall the record store across from Kresge's but can't remember the name. I also remember a small shop on the other end of the mall, across from the Krogers and the Orange Julius stand, that sold 45's. They would have the top 40 on the wall. That was were I used to get the weekely Keener top 40 list as well. Hmm, I think there was a hot pretzel place down there as well [[Hot Sam's?)

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Buddy's Pizza-Al Ackerman

Answer to KR's last trivia question.

Better late then never.
    Now I know I'm getting old. Does anyone remember what the question was?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    I do recall the record store across from Kresge's but can't remember the name. I also remember a small shop on the other end of the mall, across from the Krogers and the Orange Julius stand, that sold 45's. They would have the top 40 on the wall. That was were I used to get the weekely Keener top 40 list as well. Hmm, I think there was a hot pretzel place down there as well [[Hot Sam's?)
    Good one, TS. I could sure go for a Hot Sam's hot pretzel right now.

Yeah, I rememer that other place, and the top 40 list ... used to follow it like baseball or hockey standings. I wonder if any of the sleeves from my 45s have a price sticker on them indicating the name of the store. Later, in the 70s, got a lot of my LPs and 8 tracks out at Music Stop on Gratiot near 10 1/2.

[quote=Tsomyak;3864]Now I know I'm getting old. Does anyone remember what the question was?

The question was where is the Bocce Ball Hall of Fame located and who was the
    Commissioner

That would have to be at Buddy's - 6 & Conant. As to the commish, no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    That would have to be at Buddy's - 6 & Conant. As to the commish, no clue.
    Late to the party, EB. Jeff gave the answer, but no one could remember the question.
    Originally Posted by zitro
    Buddy's Pizza-Al Ackerman

Answer to KR's last trivia question.

Better late then never.

Boy, you miss a few hours of forum - and fall FAR behind. Somewhere along the last 25 posts, someone asked a question about Altar "girls" - well, I can answer that with a definite YES. Being one, myself, though just an "Emergency Server" - it's an incredible experience. We do have a few "younger" ladies of high school age that assist at Mass as servers as well.

and yeah, I thanks all - I could REALLY use an Orange Julius right now. Wasn't there a Bettermade store in that corner too?

What was the question again?

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    and yeah, I thanks all - I could REALLY use an Orange Julius right now. Wasn't there a Bettermade store in that corner too?
    I sort of remember the Bettermade store, but I really remember the Alexander & Hornung meat store where they had the best EVER spicy dried sausages. Oh, what I wouldn't give for one right now. Better than a Slim Jim, and that's saying something.

Default Bocce ball players

Someone had a traumatic recollection of the Burbank playground being occupied by bocce ball players. My first time ever witnessing a bocce ball game was at Burbank. I didn't know a thing about it. It seems that it was real popular during the 70s. Does anyone recall how long bocce ball was played there? Did it start in the 50s, 60s?
    Was it just a few locals that got together? Was there a league? Inquiring minds want to know?

JCole - Now, you've gone and done it - Now, I'd trade in my Orange Julius for some Alexander and Hornung Sausages. I don't remember Mom grocery shopping there - since we had Chatham's at Kelly & Morang, but that's the spot where Dad would pick us up after we "hung out" at the Mall! :-)

Ok - I'm having to give my complete - well a good guesstimate - of bowlers for our fundraiser on the 19th at Continental Lanes. Anyone out there coming to bowl, but forgot to RSVP? and for those living in far away lands, Yes, I will be taking pictures! :-) I can't help it you're missing all the fun around here -- Polish Dinners, Usher's Breakfasts, a Bowling Event ----it just keeps going and going, and going ---YEAH - ST. JUDE!

I don't think my mom ever shopped there either, but it was one of my favorite Eastland spots. It was in that little building where the Hudson Pantry Shop was also at. I used to buy my Jasmine or Orange Spice Wagner's Tea at the Pantry Shop, then go over and buy a 1/2 lb of sausages for the walk home.
    Before stopping there, I was usually at the Yardley make-up counter on the first floor of Hudson's, next to the escalator, buying eye shadow. More than likely, I had already been to either the basement of Sanders for a hot fudge sundae or over at the lunch counter in Kresge's for fries and a coke with Karen McC.
    How the hell did I stay so thin as a teen-ager?

KR - I can remember playing baseball at the playground at Burbank and seeing the Bocce players starting around 1967 or 68. They would chase us away if they could, keep the ball when they had the chance, and I would imagine cuss at us in Italian when the baseball came too close to their game. They were there for years. When we were old enough to hit the ball onto the roof of the school we moved the game to diamond #1 at Heillman.

CFG - Sorry, can't make the bowling fest, but keep letting us know of the coming attractions... we will be sure to make some.

Hot Fudge Sundaes, with your water in a paper cup in the silver "Goblet!" Great memories! I forgot about the fries at Kresgese's - we'd always get one order and split 'em! Also a good treat was the Maurice salad at Hudson's - when working there, we even got a discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    KR - I can remember playing baseball at the playground at Burbank and seeing the Bocce players starting around 1967 or 68. They would chase us away if they could, keep the ball when they had the chance, and I would imagine cuss at us in Italian when the baseball came too close to their game. They were there for years. When we were old enough to hit the ball onto the roof of the school we moved the game to diamond #1 at Heillman.

CFG - Sorry, can't make the bowling fest, but keep letting us know of the coming attractions... we will be sure to make some.

RJ Polisena -Joe's older brother taught me how to swear in Italian. I can still recite a vicious string of words he taught me. Quite an accomplishment huh?

I know a lot of those Italians that played Bocce there were bowlers too who used to hang out in the back room of Pinky's Pro Shop. I don't know if they had a league or not, but it seemed once the weather warmed up they were always there

It's not the words, it's the hand gestures that go along with it that makes it come to life. That and the veins on their necks popping out. Somehow it was the veins that made you know they were swearing, because they were always raising their voices during the game. Good shot, bad shot you could never figure if those guys were really mad or just getting into the game. We learned to stay away.

I grew up next door to my Godmother and her husband yelling at each other in Italian. I could lay in bed on summer mornings and pick out the swear words as they flew back and forth outside. Then in high school, I had a friend named Dombrowski who taught me all the Polish swear words that she knew. We knew that we had a good one when she used it at the dinner table and her father slapped her.

Oooouuuuch!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Ok - I'm having to give my complete - well a good guesstimate - of bowlers for our fundraiser on the 19th at Continental Lanes. Anyone out there coming to bowl, but forgot to RSVP? and for those living in far away lands, Yes, I will be taking pictures! :-) I can't help it you're missing all the fun around here -- Polish Dinners, Usher's Breakfasts, a Bowling Event ----it just keeps going and going, and going ---YEAH - ST. JUDE!
    Thanks to you CFG, many of us feel like we never left St. Jude.

It seems only Burbank had bocce ball. One would think that the far east side with a significant Italian heritage would have bocce ball at other venues [[playgrounds).

Oooouuuuch!
    They'll be there next year climbing to the top.

Oooouuuuch!
    It was pain in pursuit of knowledge, so it was worth it to her. You had to know her to appreciate her.

Page 8 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 108 ... LastLast