Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I kinda remember the record store, but have a much clearer memory of when Bill Freehan came to Zodeens to sign autographs! Now, THAT was an exciting day for a 12 or 13 yr old! It had to have been only a year or two after the 68 Series!

I was there for that too. It was for the Grand Opening

Buddy's Pizza-Al Ackerman

Answer to KR's last trivia question.

Better late then never.
    Last edited by zitro; April-06-09 at 04:12 PM.

Sis and I wore "twin" outfits - we didn't have many of those, but we wanted to stand out from all the other girls drooling over a real "TIGER"!

Don't know if anyone's parent's remember "Lorraine Elsey" - but she passed away yesterday at the age of 85. She was very active the the Altar Society as well as in St. Jude Parish activities. She's also the mother-in-law of a lady I work with. The Mass will be at St. Jude on Wednesday at 10am.

Is this Doug's mother?

Yes, she did have a son Doug - I don't know him, just his brother Bill because I work with his wife. Doug has a wife, Janice.

Doug went to school with us. I remember their father used to lay carpets. I think Bill would have graduated around '63. I think there is a sister in between there somewhere. Sorry to hear about her passing

We went to school with a Doug Elsey? Why don't I remember that? Did he leave before we graduated?

We went to school with a Doug Elsey? Why don't I remember that? Did he leave before we graduated?
    I have to check the graduation pic but if he did it would have been probably gone to Beacon school in Harper Woods.

I don't remember him either, CFG, so don't feel so all alone

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I don't remember him either, CFG, so don't feel so all alone
    He was in the choir, maybe he was a year behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    He was in the choir, maybe he was a year behind us.
    I knew Doug Elsey, he was in the choir, also an altar boy, graduated SJS in 1971, same as me.
    During high school, he and Tony Nosis worked at Calcaterra's, they used to think it was funny to creep us out with their stories.
    I remember during SJS days, we used to go into Calcaterra's to use the drinking fountain while we were on our walk home. It was also nice and cool in there!!

Howdy, stranger. Welcome aboard

Thank you jcole.

I am still trying to get used to this new style forum. I posted before I previewed and forgot to mention my sympathies to the family on Mrs. Elsey's passing. Doug's wife Janice grew up around the block from me.

When I moved out of Harper Woods, I found that people don't say "around the block" anymore, they say: in the sub behind me or in the next sub over. Cities aren't the same as when I grew up, everybody lives in a sub. I just lived on a block...

Didn't we all. Have you posted on the SJ thread before, over on the old one?

Just got caught up on reading the postings on the old forum.
    I see alot of posters in here really knew the church well, and the priests.
    I have to admit I'm a little jealous. All I ever knew about the church was the usual, upstairs, downstairs, crying room and those little side rooms with Joseph & Mary in them.
    Too bad they never let girls be "altar girls"...do they do that now?
    And the priests, I think I was always in awe of them, if not totally scared of them. I can remember going into the rectory to get my newest rosary blessed and being SO nervous!!
    I can picture the secretary/receptionst face but cannot remember her name.

I did post on the old forum. But when I re-registered on this one, I changed my user name

Did I see on another thread that you went to HW High?

I think that makes three SJ Altar Society members passing in the last couple of months. May God rest their dear sweet souls.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did I see on another thread that you went to HW High?
    Yes, I went there after SJ. And I must say that I found high school very easy. I believe that was because of the great education I got at SJ.

Did you post earlier that you went to Regina? My younger sister went there. I thought she had graduated from SJ but when I told her about this forum, she reminded me that she had not. I have one other younger sister, after her first year at SJ, Sister Patricia "suggested" to my parents that she attend a different school so my parents took them both out of SJ. The youngest sister was WILD, she was, what they called it back then, hyperactive.

I worked stock, Cfg, so there is a good chance I crossed paths with you or your sister.

I was just thinking, Z, it's quite possible that "plastic grass" was made from PCBs. Many of the artificial Christmas trees from that era were.

St.Juder, if you're here, I think this is you in this picture with my brother.

My brother is the one with the arrow over his head, my dad did that, I'm not sure why. He should have drawn devil horns on him

Welcome back the forum Jet. Tell your brother Z says hi. Well, so much for the Tigers opening day. Same old Verlander too many pitches in the early innings. It's a long season though.

Jet I worked at Calcaterra's too I remember Doug working there but not Tony, maybe he worked there his senoir year. I left there after HS

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Welcome back the forum Jet. Tell your brother Z says hi. Well, so much for the Tigers opening day. Same old Verlander too many pitches in the early innings. It's a long season though.

Jet I worked at Calcaterra's too I remember Doug working there but not Tony, maybe he worked there his senoir year. I left there after HS
    Hi Z, I told my brother about this forum and I told him that you knew him but all I could tell him was your screen name, which didn't ring any bells with him...but he's old now and his memory isn't what it used to be....

Boy, I just love picking on him when he's too far away to pound me for it!!!

I went to opening day last year, bought standing room only tickets at the last minute. Had a blast. The day started off chilly but by the end of the game, I had a sunburn!!! No such luck today, people might've gotten a wind burn...

My college has Alumni night there every year. You can get group rates on tickets and sit in the same section. There is also a different package they sell where you get a reserved picnic area before the game with hot dogs/hamburger, etc. Tickets cost more for that but it's worth it, a little pre-party before the game starts. St.Jude Alumni should do that!!

Jet, I just sent you a pm on the forum

Page 7 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 57 107 ... LastLast