Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 53 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Many of you remember that one lone house on the St. Jude playfield located on the north east corner of Brock and 7 Mile. The house was there until the 70s before being razed. The house had several shade trees surrounding it and a huge garden in back. At the time, I thought it would have been great to live there with the St. Jude slide, and chin up bars right next it and be able to look out the window and catch a football game on a Sunday afternoon...and of course right across the street was the party store. Does anyone know what family owned that house? Were they St. Jude Parishioners?
    If you're talking about a big, long, white house, as I mentioned in a post about a month ago, I believe that that house was owned by the Salter family, and I know this through my mother, who attended Denby high school in the mid-50s and had a friend who was a member of the Salter family but was at that time living on Kelly north of Morang. Apparently they at one time had a larger amount of land/farm in the area, and it is these same Salters after whom the nearby Salter street [[which runs parallel to Brock, between I believe Faircrest and Cedargrove or so), was named.

As the Salter whom my mother knew was/is Roman Catholic, I would say it is quite likely that they attended St. Jude.

What I would DO to hear Ernie and Paul call a game! Nothing like the old transistor radio under the pillow at night - listening to those West coast games.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    If you're talking about a big, long, white house, as I mentioned in a post about a month ago, I believe that that house was owned by the Salter family, and I know this through my mother, who attended Denby high school in the mid-50s and had a friend who was a member of the Salter family but was at that time living on Kelly north of Morang. Apparently they at one time had a larger amount of land/farm in the area, and it is these same Salters after whom the nearby Salter street [[which runs parallel to Brock, between I believe Faircrest and Cedargrove or so), was named.

As the Salter whom my mother knew was/is Roman Catholic, I would say it is quite likely that they attended St. Jude.

Thank EMG I thought you had mentioned this before.

I've heard the family that owned the land next to theirs was named the Pepper's. They got along real well togther.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    What else you got in that bag?
    A sandwich. And books.

hey,
    I think you are talking about two different houses. There was a house on the corner of the playfield, but I thought the Salter house was on the southeast corner of 7 Mile and Morang, but then again, I may be wrong. What was the name of the church at that intersection?

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post

EMG: There was a house near Vetre hardware between Brock and Hayes
    that was gone in the 60s. The one I'm refering to was the only house on the St. Jude playfield lot. I don't believe it was a long and white. It was more of and old craftsman style with a porch that went across the entire front of the house. It would be interesting to have a map and photos of that area before WW II.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    hey,
    I think you are talking about two different houses. There was a house on the corner of the playfield, but I thought the Salter house was on the southeast corner of 7 Mile and Morang, but then again, I may be wrong. What was the name of the church at that intersection?
    Unless there was more than one Salter house, the Salter house I am thinking of was DEFINITELY on the NORTH side of Seven Mile, west of Brock. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the church - was it Mt. Hope? Or am I thinking of the other Hope [[Lutheran?) that was on the north side of Morang at McKinney.... Hm....I was Catholic at the time so didn't pay much attention to the other churches.

i remember the porch on the one at the playfield. by the way, i just looked at google maps, and the house i thought was the one in question, ain't the one, so i defer.

Attachment 1778That Lutheran Church was on the south side of 7 Mile. St. Jude Playfield was on the northeast corner of Brock and 7. The party store/ice cream store was on the northwest corner. Vetere's was on the other side of that store.The white house was on the corner of the lot across from the church.

Interesting - for some reason, I thought it was the Greiner or Schoenherr house - I don't have a clue as to why - unless someone else was speculating years back and I remember their "guesses". I Do remember the house and thought it was so cool.

all this talk about that area reminds me of my pediatrician. Anyone else go to Dr. Irving Burton who had his office further down 7 Mile across from Fantasy? He was part of the family who had the big historical collection in Detroit. Dad always thought we were paying for that.

You had a pediatrician? What kind of rich family were you a member of? I never even heard of a pediatrician until I had kids of my own in 1976. We went to the GP and were damned glad of it.

well, whatever ya called them. dad had a GP on East Warren he liked, Mom didn't, so she wanted us to go to Burton. After a while, Mom didn't like Burton, so we went to a GP whose office was at Morang and Laing across Laing from the funeral home. I hated that guy - everytime you got a shot, he called for the nurse by pushing a button by the exam doors. grew to hate those damn buttons. Wow, so much hate toward docs!!!

We didn't have a pediatrician either - it was good old Dr. McDonald at State Fair and Gratiot. The place smelled like alcohol and shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    We didn't have a pediatrician either - it was good old Dr. McDonald at State Fair and Gratiot. The place smelled like alcohol and shots.
    Aren't those pretty much the same thing?

all this talk about that area reminds me of my pediatrician. Anyone else go to Dr. Irving Burton who had his office further down 7 Mile across from Fantasy? He was part of the family who had the big historical collection in Detroit. Dad always thought we were paying for that.
    Burton was my family pediatrician also. I didn't realize he was from the famous Burton family of the library/historical collection fame. Interesting.

KR - Don't forget to wash your ankles. I hear the life guards are cracking down on the rubbing for dirt thing.

Went to the pool three times today. Two open sessions, and family night. My eyes are burning and they are all red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    KR - Don't forget to wash your ankles. I hear the life guards are cracking down on the rubbing for dirt thing.

Went to the pool three times today. Two open sessions, and family night. My eyes are burning and they are all red.

I didn't have that problem umtil I was a teenager. Hint: Carry visine around with you at all time

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Interesting - for some reason, I thought it was the Greiner or Schoenherr house - I don't have a clue as to why - unless someone else was speculating years back and I remember their "guesses". I Do remember the house and thought it was so cool.

You have something there. I vaguely think I remembe Mom also telling me something about the Salters somehow being related to the Greiners - for whom Greiner street out near City Airport was named.

Never heard of any connection with Schoenherr, though.

I'm emailing my mom's friend and asking her to take a look at this thread. Maybe she will be able to provide me with some additional information.

Also, I noted another post mentioning the house in question being on the corner of Seven Mile and Morang, in the southwest corner of the field. Despite all my confidence in my earlier post about that house "definitely" being west of Brock, now that I think about it I think I might be inclined to that it was indeed east of Brock in what is now the southwest corner of the field. It's just that it's been so long since that house was torn down, I've been used to the field just being the field. But now that I think about it I think one did have a direct view of that house while waiting at the light at the end of Morang at 7 mile. That would have been way way back in my elementary school days which is why my memory of it is a bit vague.
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 10:14 PM.

BTW, a little Googling leads me to believe that the correct name for the church at 7 Mile and Morang is Mt. Hope Methodist:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

My pediatrician's office was the Country Club Pediatric Clinic near Harper and Country Club in Harper Woods. My pediatrician was Dr. Paul Zavell [[deceased within the last year or two); or I would sometimes see one of his partners, particularly Dr. E. Dalton Black. There was also a Dr. Azar whose first name I can't remember, and also a fourth doctor neither of whose names I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    EMG: There was a house near Vetre hardware between Brock and Hayes
    that was gone in the 60s. The one I'm refering to was the only house on the St. Jude playfield lot. I don't believe it was a long and white. It was more of and old craftsman style with a porch that went across the entire front of the house. It would be interesting to have a map and photos of that area before WW II.
    Well the house I am thinking of definitely had the long porch. So I'm quite sure now that the one I remember was the one "on the St. Jude playfield lot" and not the one "near Vetre hardware" [[as I remember neither that house nor Vetre hardware). But I still would have sworn it was a wooden house painted white. Maybe with a black [[or at least dark) roof.

Hey, I just did another Google search for "Salter House" and found this link. It has some interesting information about this whole area, particularly Kelly Road. There's also a picture of a "Salter House" which is "still standing" at least as of 1996 when this paper was written - so obviously that picture is not of the house we are talking about in this thread.

http://ajlambert.com/anderson/str~~~dr.pdf

EMG, that link doesn't work

Ok, I don't know what's going on here, but for some reason when I paste the link it keeps getting changed on me and won't work. Certain letters in combination must equal some sort of special character command - sigh!

http://ajlambert.com/anderson/ stry _ tdr . pdf

The components of the link are above but the stry....tdr section somehow keeps getting garbaged-up when it turns into a hyperlink. If you paste all of the above into your browser, and then delete the space before stry, the spaces before and after the underscore as well as the spaces before and after the final dot, [[i.e., just make all the characters run together in the order shown) it should work.

There's got to be a better workaround than that, but for now it's the best I could come up with.
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 10:30 PM.

Page 53 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 153 ... LastLast