Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 198 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I hear tell they got those fancy-ass conveniences down there now. You might have to crank the modem, but it's worth it to talk to us, ain't it?

Where in NC are you going?

Where ya heading after NC EB?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Now it's my turn to leave.

Riding the bike down to North Carolina tomorrow. Back around 6/10.

Not sure if I'll have internet access down there.

Behave yourselves while I'm gone.
    EB: Please say "Hi" to Andy, Aunt Bee, Floyd, and Goober. You may want to stop in that fancy diner while in Mount Pilot...They have the best fried chicken and sweet potatoes this side of Mayberry.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    EB: Please say "Hi" to Andy, Aunt Bee, Floyd, and Goober. You may want to stop in that fancy diner while in Mount Pilot...They have the best fried chicken and sweet potatoes this side of Mayberry.

Don't forget Howard, Opie, Gomer, Otis, Helen, Thelma Lou & Ellie. And who could forget Sarah the Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Okay - just got back - just trying to catch up - I'm guessing that no one stole the kiska while I was gone - but I have to dole out some xtra kielbasa at the next Polish dinner, yes?
    Yes CFG, the puzzle whiz kid struck again. The extra piece of kielbasa will appreciated. Let us all know when the next St. Jude Polish dinner is so we can all enjoy.
    BTW, Good to see you back.

What, I just got back and now you're leaving????? Almost witness protection---kept a very low profile - fedora, big glasses, Dick Purtan Glasses and mustache - you know, so no one would notice me in my undisclosed location.

I presume photos will be sent to those "back home"! Sounds like quite a grand trip EB - be careful out there! I heard Deputy Fife's got a radar gun - and he gets it confused with the real one! North Carolina is a beautiful State! Enjoy!......and it's good to be back - thanks KR

I presume photos will be sent to those "back home"! Sounds like quite a grand trip EB - be careful out there! I heard Deputy Fife's got a radar gun - and he gets it confused with the real one! North Carolina is a beautiful State! Enjoy!......and it's good to be back - thanks KR

Sorry, no pics I will be incognito

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Sorry, no pics I will be incognito
    You can't be too careful.

A photo of St. Jude Church as viewed from my back yard on Eastwood back in the day. It was and is a powerful beacon in that community.

A photo of St. Jude Church as viewed from my back yard on Eastwood back in the day. It was and is a powerful beacon in that community.

That's a kool pic right there

CFG: LMAO..... EB: You better be careful if you're riding through Mayberry. Hopefully, Barney doesn't load his radar gun with his one bullet

Yea, but I'll be packin', too. And I've got more than one cartridge.

KR - VERY COOL! I love that picture. Our house faced Morang and Kelly - so we got the Denby Beacon light flashing in the distance from our upstairs bedroom.

EB, Z - you don't have to post the pictures - you could just send them to us????? We promise not to publish......well, I promise not to publish!~ :-)

KR - VERY COOL! I love that picture. Our house faced Morang and Kelly - so we got the Denby Beacon light flashing in the distance from our upstairs bedroom.
    Well my house on Nottingham just north of Britain faced west, and incredible as it may seem there was just enough of a break in the houses and trees along all that distance that we were able to see the Denby Beacon light flashing from our living room window.

It was quite a local landmark. I remember later taking long runs and walks and judging the impressiveness of my distances by how much further away than usual the Denby Tower seemed to be!!!

Here's an up-close shot of that Denby Beacon, taken right from the end of Britain at Duchess - as with most of the rest that I've posted here, taken in about April of 2001.

Attachment 1487
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

I woke up every morning to the sound of the Angelus bells at 8 a.m. and could look out my window and see the church steeple in its full glory. I will admit that the sound of those bells on Saturdays and during the summer wasn't all that welcome when I became a teen, but I really would love to hear them now.

Looking at KR's pick it reminded me of something. Those telephone poles used to have to have those climbing spikes in them. Did anyone ever make it close to the top of one of those. I know I made it up a few rungs but not much further than that.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Looking at KR's pick it reminded me of something. Those telephone poles used to have to have those climbing spikes in them. Did anyone ever make it close to the top of one of those. I know I made it up a few rungs but not much further than that.
    Certainly not the one in the picture, the neighboors and the parents kept pretty tight rein on the kids and telephone poles. "Those are high volt wires and can kill you instantly" was a refrain that kept the spirit of adventure under wraps. Like you, only a few rungs were made. [[The first one was the toughest). The 7_and_Kelly_Kid and I ususually targeted the telephone poles with alley rocks on our way to George's party store.....Life was good!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I woke up every morning to the sound of the Angelus bells at 8 a.m. and could look out my window and see the church steeple in its full glory. I will admit that the sound of those bells on Saturdays and during the summer wasn't all that welcome when I became a teen, but I really would love to hear them now.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Fl1aE5qVU
    Last edited by 7andkelly; May-29-09 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    7K: Thanks again for the video. There's nothing more than those bells to bring back great memories of SJ.

For your next assignment, if you don't mind, could you capture the bells peeling?

Anyway, I was curious as to what bell was ringing first the top or middle one. In the video it is obvious that the bottom one is ringing last because the whole bell moves thus striking the clapper. It is not obvious what bell is rang first....which leads to my next question/observation.........

It seems originally that all three St. Jude bells were sounded by the bells moving and thus striking the clapper as compared to the clapper moving and striking the bell. When did that change? If I recall correctly, when the bells would peel around the time of a high mass, or wedding all three bells actually moved at a different time. In fact, the bells for peeling had to be activated individually by a key switch inside the sacristy....so the timing was random. When and why did the sounding mechanism of the bells change? Were there mechanical or repair problems for the top two bells? Curious minds want to know.
    Last edited by kellyroad; May-30-09 at 02:29 PM.

7K: ...For your next assignment, if you don't mind, could you capture the bells peeling?
    Gee, KR. Cfg already said she was going to sand down and repaint inside the bell tower. No sense in exposing this problem any further.

J, we need your dirty socks out for this evening's playoff game so I'm glad you got them out already ... no, wait ... I guess those are mine I smell.

Aaaanyhoooo ... GO WINGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Gee, KR. Cfg already said she was going to sand down and repaint inside the bell tower. No sense in exposing this problem any further.
    peel or peal the bells seems appealing or is that appeeling. Since CFG is going to peel and prime why not peal and chime? Anyway, Is there an answer to the bell inquiry?

Wings on the board with the 1st goal

We were working on the grounds for a few hours after Mass on Monday - and at noon - the bells were awesome. Yes, JC - it is a joy to hear them ring!

Z - good question - I always found those climbingh spikes tempting, but never got the nerve to try it!

The first set were pretty high up off the ground, so as a little kid, I couldn't get my leg up high enough, and later, it lost its appeal

Page 5 of 198 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 105 ... LastLast