Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 25 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The Garwoodians have more 'memories' to write about. Flashbacks are very entertaining, you know.

I've heard that before

OK, somebody recently mentioned the Detroit Knitting Mills to me, and it brought back some vague memory of buying things there. Does anyone remember having to go there to get uniform accessories or anything like that? Also, where were they located?

OK, somebody recently mentioned the Detroit Knitting Mills to me, and it brought back some vague memory of buying things there. Does anyone remember having to go there to get uniform accessories or anything like that? Also, where were they located?

Is this close enough?
    Last edited by zitro; January-19-10 at 12:03 PM.

Detroit Knitting Mills is where I got my letter sweater when I was at Denby. They did all the stripes and patches.

I remember going with my mom and sister to a place on Jefferson by Alter when she got a uniform for St. Jude

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I remember going with my mom and sister to a place on Jefferson by Alter when she got a uniform for St. Jude
    That was something else I was trying to remember. What was the name of the uniform place? I went there every year for eight years. You'd think I'd know.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Is this close enough?
    Thanks, Z. I just looked it up on live maps, and it was about a block from the Eastern Mkt. What's funny is that we used to go there fairly frequently, but I never was at the Market until I was in my 40's. Dad wouldn't take us there.

Thanks, Z. I just looked it up on live maps, and it was about a block from the Eastern Mkt. What's funny is that we used to go there fairly frequently, but I never was at the Market until I was in my 40's. Dad wouldn't take us there.
    I can't recall us ever going there either, maybe it was because we had those fruit trucks that roamed the neighboorhoods all the time hawking their wares

My parents liked going up to the area I now live in to pick tomatoes and peppers for canning and freezing so I guess that's probably why we didn't go to the Mkt. Dad loved to take drives on Sundays.

My parents liked going up to the area I now live in to pick tomatoes and peppers for canning and freezing so I guess that's probably why we didn't go to the Mkt. Dad loved to take drives on Sundays.

I think the cops and firemen got enough of the city and needed some freash air once in a while

Like some of us can't relate to that, eh?

I think the cops and firemen got enough of the city and needed some freash air once in a while
    You're right. I know I've mentioned before that my dad didn't drive around Detroit just to drive around. We did most of our eating out and stuff like that in the 'burbs. 9 and Kelly, 10 and Gratiot.Those were where his favorite pancake houses were, other than the 'fancy' one in Grosse Pointe where we went for Mother's day and stuff like that.

I remember the Pancake House at 10 and Gratiot - and the Amy Joy on Gratiot S of 8 Mile. We didn't eat out much - but it was definitely there - or to the Golden Buddah for Chinese. Sitting in the "Morticia Adams" chair was quite a treat!

I think the 10/Gratiot one was called Dixie or something like that and the one on 9/Kelly was Uncle John's.
    CFG, where was the Golden Buddha? There's a Thai restaurant by that name in Romeo now.

Golden Buddha was on Harper over by Ritter Chev, and the place was called The Dixie on Gratiot by 10 mile. Used to go there after Sunday mass, also went to Blazzo's and Ram's Horn on Mack.

hey, just noticed - how did we make it to the Hall of Fame?

Is that what the red dots mean in front of the thread title?

Is that what the red dots mean in front of the thread title?

I wondered what those dots meant. Yeah for our team!!!

I finally got around to putting all of my matchbook covers from Detrot area restaurants in one group. I know the Golden Budha is in here somewhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keglerw...7614582259294/

I wondered what those dots meant. Yeah for our team!!!

I finally got around to putting all of my matchbook covers from Detrot area restaurants in one group. I know the Golden Budha is in here somewhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keglerw...7614582259294/
    There's a Tom's Oyster Bar in Rochester now.
    And I loved the Schmid Haus. There are so few German restaurants around anymore

You're right. I know I've mentioned before that my dad didn't drive around Detroit just to drive around. We did most of our eating out and stuff like that in the 'burbs. 9 and Kelly, 10 and Gratiot.Those were where his favorite pancake houses were, other than the 'fancy' one in Grosse Pointe where we went for Mother's day and stuff like that.
    Can't remember the name of that one right now but I think it's still there.

Fabulous Dutch pancakes with lemon & powder suger.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Can't remember the name of that one right now but I think it's still there.

Fabulous Dutch pancakes with lemon & powder suger.
    Isn't it 'The Original Pancake House'? Last time I worked on that side of town, I think I noticed it was closed. There's still one on Woodward in B'ham, I think.

Isn't it 'The Original Pancake House'? Last time I worked on that side of town, I think I noticed it was closed. There's still one on Woodward in B'ham, I think.

The Original Pancake House is the one on Mack in GP unless there was another one

I just pulled up the website for the Original Pancake House, and had a serious chunk of my childhood memories shattered. I always thought that the one over on Mack was the original Original, and I just found out it's part of a large nationwide chain that started in Oregon. All the years of that being a special place, gone in a flash, pffft.
    Oh, well. They still had great bacon, wonderful strong coffee and waffles to die for. Apparently they have them all over the country. Maybe I can stop on my way west this summer.
    BTW, the website says the one in GP is still open.

Since J started us off so eloquently, I think it only befitting she be the one to give the acceptance speech at the induction ceremony.

We were a fan of the Golden Buddha as well. My wife and I even had our rehearsal dinner there.

We also ate at the Silver Dragon on Kelly quite a bit. The highlight of my memories there came one night when my brother and I were having dinner. There was a slip of paper in the breadbasket. When unfolded, it read "Don't eat the rolls" with a skull and crossbones drawn at the bottom. My good buddy "Rumblefish" was working the kitchen that night and had slipped it in. He was only half joking, he was warning us about the fact that unused rolls were "recycled" if not eaten. Some thirty five years later my brother and I still laugh about that one!

Page 25 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 75 125 ... LastLast