Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 249 of 263 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 259 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 6559

Salmon Patties this week at the Fish Fry - Something new - and knowing our Chef Mike Anderson, something you don't want to miss. If you're in the neighborhood come on by - dinner is from 4-7 - dining in - or carryout, with stations at 7pm

http://www.freep.com/article/2011040...text|FRONTPAGE
    It will be interesting to see how the issue of 'freedom of speech' vs. banning handbills plays out in a St. Jude Parish location.

They'd probably be better off going for an anti-littering/anti-trespassing ordinance than the handbill ban because of freedom of speech, but I hope they figure out a way to take care of it. Where I live, all of those flyers come in the mail one day a week.

Page 2??? All must have been occupied in the sunny Sunday! We put down about 250 lbs of top soil - making plans on how we're going to spruce up the parish grounds again this year. It's always such a pleasure to see a rose among the thorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Page 2??? All must have been occupied in the sunny Sunday! We put down about 250 lbs of top soil - making plans on how we're going to spruce up the parish grounds again this year. It's always such a pleasure to see a rose among the thorns.
    An architectural feature of St. Jude Church that is very much appreciated is how the front steps, front side steps, corner stones and built in flower beds wrapped around together to showcase its grand pillared entrance. ..The trees, shrubs, and flowers that were placed in those flower beds seemed to "soften" the magnificent bold facade of the church building. It's nice to realize the Church grounds are still being cared for. WHEN IS PLANTING DAY?

Speaking of Church grounds....silly poll [[trivia) questions....
    1. Do you recall the wooden fence that enclosed the west side of the convent?
    2. What is the name for the brick structures that surrounded the gym doors?
    3. Did anyone get on top of those [[east) brick structures to sneak a peak into the
    "mysterious" convent patio?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    An architectural feature of St. Jude Church that is very much appreciated is how the front steps, front side steps, corner stones and built in flower beds wrapped around together to showcase its grand pillared entrance. ..The trees, shrubs, and flowers that were placed in those flower beds seemed to "soften" the magnificent bold facade of the church building. It's nice to realize the Church grounds are still being cared for. WHEN IS PLANTING DAY?

Speaking of Church grounds....silly poll [[trivia) questions....
    1. Do you recall the wooden fence that enclosed the west side of the convent?
    2. What is the name for the brick structures that surrounded the gym doors?
    3. Did anyone get on top of those [[east) brick structures to sneak a peak into the
    "mysterious" convent patio?
    I remember the wooden fence was painted or stained dark brown. Always thought the nuns walked around "habitless" in there, and did climb up once to look in. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary and saw no nuns, but thought if I didn't scram quick, someone would see me. Was scared for the rest of the day. Never knew of a patio on the other side, but knowing me, if I climbed up there, I would have been caught.

I remember the wooden fence around the patio too. there is a door through the current pantry, which leads to that area - it seems so small now, without the fence. They sure didn't have much of a patio! I will talk to Fr. Jovita and see what Sunday would work for him for a "clean-up" weekend. Sure wish we knew of a cement alumni to help us with the facade work in the front. The planters are crumbling. Yep, we've been "De-treeing" where possible to plant more and more perennials - and adding inches of mulch to keep the weeds at bay. We are able to afford a grass cutting service, but the maintenance of gardens around the parish are on us. It's always a fun day and it looks awesome when we're done!

Sincere Condolences and prayers to Jean [[nee Cole) on the passing of her Mother this morning. Our prayers are with you and your family, Jeanne.

Sincere Condolences and prayers to Jean [[nee Cole) on the passing of her Mother this morning. Our prayers are with you and your family, Jeanne.
    Many of us in this DY St. Jude community are keeping Jeanne and her family in our thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Many of us in this DY St. Jude community are keeping Jeanne and her family in our thoughts and prayers.
    Thank you all.

St. Jude Church Altars
    Gym Church [[late 40s), Canopied Altar 1980, 1st Altar in present Church 1957

Name:  stjudegymchurch1940s.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  84.9 KBName:  Stjude1980.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  27.4 KBName:  stjude1957.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by kellyroad; April-14-11 at 06:03 PM.

Awesome - thanks KR! We surely have a beautiful church inside and out through these past 7 decades. Though the interior has changed, the warm of the parish as shown by our food pantry, Income Tax assistance, and an "open arms" welcome to all has never changed.

Awesome - thanks KR! We surely have a beautiful church inside and out through these past 7 decades. Though the interior has changed, the warm of the parish as shown by our food pantry, Income Tax assistance, and an "open arms" welcome to all has never changed.
    Those that were parishioners know this. I'm wondering how many on the far east side of Detroit and it's neighboring suburbs realize what you stated.
    Last edited by kellyroad; April-15-11 at 11:47 PM.

Well, that's our mission, to get the word out. Our Fish Frys have done wonders in bringing in new faces from the neighborhood and we see new faces every week at the Masses. I know that our constant activity, whether, dinners or novenas have certainly stirred an interest. We certainly provide a home to many for many reasons.

J, so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom. May the conosolation of the Holy Spirit be upon you.

May God bless her dear sweet soul.

She now meets Jesus, and rejoins your Dad, and in heavenly communion with the St. Jude Altar Society joins in prayer for our families.

Well, that's our mission, to get the word out. Our Fish Frys have done wonders in bringing in new faces from the neighborhood and we see new faces every week at the Masses. I know that our constant activity, whether, dinners or novenas have certainly stirred an interest. We certainly provide a home to many for many reasons.
    Cfg, we only made one of these, but that was enough to say yours is the best fish fry in town, hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Cfg, we only made one of these, but that was enough to say yours is the best fish fry in town, hands down!
    7K, Last night was my first fish fry at St. Jude...couldn't agree with you more. Great to see old friends and neighbors. Fr. Jovita and his wonderful spirited volunteer staff truly make the fish fry, as you stated, "the best fish fry in town".

thanks, 7K - we were very excited to see the crowds grow each Friday! the Ushers Pancake breakfast on Sunday, as a great success as well, with tables put up in the halls to accommodate the crowd! AWESOME!

Name:  stjudegymchurch1940s.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  84.9 KB
    Eastburn, is that you helping with the incense?
    Is that the choir on the left? Wasn't the choir and the organ situated in the Gym/Church choir loft?
    I'm wondering if this photo is from the 1940s or 50s. It appears that the Dominican nuns are on the bottom of the photo. Does anyone have an idea of what this photo represents?...Blessing of Gym/Church? High Mass?

I LOVE THIS PICTURE! If anyone can answer KR questions about the pictures -it would be much appreciated, as I'd like to add/identify it in our anniversary book.

I personally can't help with any ids on this picture, but look above the altar - that's our crucifix!!!!!

Thanks, Laing - I thought the same thing!

Kinda looks like me on the left but, if so, the picture would have to be mid-50s not 40s.

Just about to fall off the 1st page. Where is everyone?

Hunting for Easter Eggs?