Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 244 of 263 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 254 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    According to my printer, I'll need original pictures and not graphics downloaded from previously posted shots, so it's kinda like a "re-do" even though, I agree, we have many, many beautiful pictures of our church, windows, altar,and baptismal area.
    Are the jpeg files of those previously posted pictures ok to use? It is my guess that the shots taken by other photographers would be ok to use if they could e-mail, or download their pic files for the printer. NONETHELESS!, It would be a honor and privilege to do a "re-do"... to reexamine and explore the many wonderful facets of this architectural jewel on the northeast side of Detroit.

7K, sorry to disappoint, but there's really nothing to "photo shoot" in the rectory. Believe me when I tell you, the empty suites upstairs, and just that, empty rooms - and except for the beautiful stained glass entry way, there is no other stained glass in the building. I'm sure we'll think of something! :-) Thank you so much for all you've done already in digitizing our class pictures. As we've all seen/read, it's been an awesome gift!
    When you say there's nothing there, I'll take your word for it, but you're talking to someone who sees great video opportunities in empty rooms and dank corriders of pipes.

As to the digitizing project, that was all KR. He's your photog!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    There are of course many beautiful pictures of St. Jude church taken by other photographers that have been placed in the St. Jude facebook album. It would be a privilege to photograph one of the most ornate and architecturally interesting churches in the AOD...and that includes the rectory, and of course, the bell tower.
    See if you can get the bell tower picture with CFG performing her previously assigned duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    See if you can get the bell tower picture with CFG performing her previously assigned duties.
    let's see, the equipment list: a cherry-pick, camera with telephoto lens, tripod, and a bullhorn to yell out instructions [[like "look this way", "smile", "watch out for that pigeon", and "it's noon...hope you brought your earplugs")

Default Fish fry

Are Lenten fish fries a relatively new happening at St. Jude? Does anyone recall St. Jude every having Lenten fish fries in the 50s-80s? I remember Milroy's, the LaSalle KofC, the Kof C on Harper north of 8, and the Eagles lodge on 8/Gratiot.

Are Lenten fish fries a relatively new happening at St. Jude? Does anyone recall St. Jude every having Lenten fish fries in the 50s-80s? I remember Milroy's, the LaSalle KofC, the Kof C on Harper north of 8, and the Eagles lodge on 8/Gratiot.
    Ok, I may be wrong, but I seem to remember fish fries late 60's-early 70's. St. Matt's had one and I think GA had one - CFG, do you remember that? I remember also there was a church, not Catholic, on I think Beaconsfield, a block or two north of Moross that had one of those "onion head" steeples that had fish fries - Mom took me there once to get some carry out. Anyone remember that place?

KR, I don't think St. Jude had them back in the day; I only remember going to fries at K of C on 7 Mile somewhere.Once we moved up here, it seemed like every church had one and I used to bake pies for the one at St. John's in Allenton

I don't believe we've ever had fish frys at St. Jude. The dinners we held last year - with no expense to the Parish - allowed us to purchase fryers for this years new adventure. We're getting the equipment installed this week and we're excited. We'll also have mac and cheese for the non-fish folks out there!. I only remember fish from Milroys during Lent - and that was a treat - otherwise it was Mrs. Pauls fish sticks! :-)

CFG, what kind of fish are you going to be using and how much are dinners going to be? Let me know a schedule for the dinners, too.

Dinners will be every Friday during Lent from 4-7. We'll have a variety of pricing for 3 piece fish and chips and slaw at $7.00, then 2 piece, 1 piece, mac and cheese dinners with different prices. I'll get back with you on all prices and kind of fish. We're getting the equipment installed this week, so this will be our first attempt. We're excited, but at the same time, a little nervous. I didn't post anything in the newspapers or vicariate yet. We want to have our work flow down pat first. St. Jude Family will understand if we hit a few bumps out of the gate, inviting general public will mean a flawless performance!

Yes, sometimes it's iffy getting that batter to stick to the fish when you're not used to doing it.

We have a batter station in addition to 2 fryers - one for the fish and the other for fries. It will be an interesting experience to say the least! Should have taken the job at Arthur Treachers instead of Hudsons while at Regina!

After looking at these posts about no fish frys there, it got me to thinkin'. What I remembered going to and also cooking were the pancake breakfasts the Scouts used to do. By the way, CFG, you may be able to use my experience from my cooking days at the Clock at East Warren and Cadieux! Would be glad to make the trip, but then again my K/C council may not understand.

Sure would love to have you Laing! Boy, I sure remember going to that Clock after bowling at East Warren Lanes and listening to the latest "bar band" until 2am! We'll learn as we go! I remember when we started bringing back dinners to St. Jude a few years ago - our first spaghetti dinner was a nail-biter - I had the "deer in the headlights" look as the crowd spilled out after 4:00 Mass and then on into the Parish Center. Now, I can't wait to hear the laughing and fellowship at each dinner. I'm sure all will have patience with us this Friday as we learn to wear the St. Jude "Milroy's" cap! :-)

Sure would love to have you Laing! Boy, I sure remember going to that Clock after bowling at East Warren Lanes and listening to the latest "bar band" until AM! We'll learn as we go! I remember when we started bringing back dinners to St. Jude a few years ago - our first spaghetti dinner was a nail-biter - I had the "deer in the headlights" look as the crowd spilled out after 4:00 Mass and then on into the Parish Center. Now, I can't wait to hear the laughing and fellowship at each dinner. I'm sure all will have patience with us this Friday as we learn to wear the St. Jude "Milroy's" cap! :-)
    Those SJ spaghetti dinners back in the 80s-90s were certainly a big hit. That was a big treat for my kids when visiting their grandparents. The pasta, salads, and deserts were all top notch..... Great place to get reacquainted with long time parishioners and neighbors....There were always a few 50/50 raffles...great memory..[[Miss the gym)

question: Is the Parish center large enough to accommodate a fish fry?

Does anyone remember Henny Penny located on the northeast side of Morang between Payton and Riad? It was a carryout place that specialized in ribs, chicken, and fish/chips [[especially during lent). It was located on the same block as Normandy Optical. Laing, since HP was in your neck of the woods [[blue section) I'm thinking you may remember. [[It may have closed in the middle to late 60s.)

The Parish Center seems to be adequate for spaghetti dinners, polish dinners and sloppy joe dinners, so I think it'll handle a fish fry

I remember Henny Penny well, totally forgot about that place - even being in the Cherry section. they paid us a few cents per flyer to pass out menus door to door.
    Yes, we can accommodate the fish fry crowd easily. Fish frys are often a carry-out business in addition to those that will stay and attend stations at 7, following the fish fry, so we'll be good. We only used the gym once a year for the usher's pancake breakfast, and though it was a use for the gym, folks were really spread out and we didn't have the opportunity to visit, like we do in the Parish Center. We still have those 50/50's at every gathering! :-) Some things will never change!

Does anyone remember Henny Penny located on the northeast side of Morang between Payton and Riad? It was a carryout place that specialized in ribs, chicken, and fish/chips [[especially during lent). It was located on the same block as Normandy Optical. Laing, since HP was in your neck of the woods [[blue section) I'm thinking you may remember. [[It may have closed in the middle to late 60s.)
    yes, I remember Henny Penny real well. Can still picture the guy who owned it. We used to get their chicken more than fish. Good stuff!!!!!

No paczki for me. Hope y'all get yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    No paczki for me. Hope y'all get yours.
    No sunshine and warmth for me. Hope you get yours.

Paczki for me! I'll have one for you EB - what about a red/white/blue custard?

Got to get under 200# before I return to MI. No paczki for me. Besides, all they have here is jelly donuts they try to pass off as paczki.

They try that jelly donut thing here too - and unbelievably, some folks still fall for it.....in the home state of the original Paczki! Go figure!

whew, almost got knocked off page 1. don't want to go the same way as Tressel went.