Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 232 of 263 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    I recall your stories about that Nativity scene. What a great tradition. Hope the pics bring back fond memories.
    They do. Thank you and Merry Christmas

That sure was one memorable Nativity. I wonder where it is now.

Probably in pieces. That's been 40 years now

I'm wondering when the original Nativity set was first displayed. Was it after the Gym was built in 45? Was it around in the 50s?

Merry Christmas, y'all. Heading down to the city for our 3 day family Christmas extravaganza. I'll wave as I pass through Almont, JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Merry Christmas, y'all. Heading down to the city for our 3 day family Christmas extravaganza. I'll wave as I pass through Almont, JC.
    If it wasn't so cold, I'd hide by the car wash and jump out in an elf costume

Eastburn, zitro and kellyroad,

I don't know a Tom or MaryAnn Berch, but my dad was Ted Berch. His family went to St Veronica's in East Detroit. My dad was in the second graduating class of Notre Dame[[1959). When he passed in 94, two of the fathers from ND came to the funeral at Schultz Funeral home.
    I noticed because of the spelling[[lots of Birch, Burch but very few of us Berch's).

My mom was Helen [[Hyba) Berch and she lived on Maddelein across from St. Jude. She graduated Dominican [[1960). My grandfather Walter Hyba was an usher[[on the plaque of lifetime ushers) he also worked to help establish the St jude Credit union on 7 mile in 1950's. My mom also taught at St Jude briefly in the 60s.

Do any of these names ring a bell? Appreciate any insights...

Matt Berch

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Eastburn, zitro and kellyroad,

I don't know a Tom or MaryAnn Berch, but my dad was Ted Berch. His family went to St Veronica's in East Detroit. My dad was in the second graduating class of Notre Dame[[1959). When he passed in 94, two of the fathers from ND came to the funeral at Schultz Funeral home.
    I noticed because of the spelling[[lots of Birch, Burch but very few of us Berch's).

My mom was Helen [[Hyba) Berch and she lived on Maddelein across from St. Jude. She graduated Dominican [[1960). My grandfather Walter Hyba was an usher[[on the plaque of lifetime ushers) he also worked to help establish the St jude Credit union on 7 mile in 1950's. My mom also taught at St Jude briefly in the 60s.

Do any of these names ring a bell? Appreciate any insights...

Matt Berch
    Matt, sadly I don't recall these names. I did attend St. Jude School from the fall of 59 to the spring of 67. The name Hyba or Berch doesn't ring a bell. Do you recall what years in the 60s she taught at SJS? Was her name Hyba or Berch at the time she taught at SJS? Is James Berch, who taught math at ND, any relationship? We have a regular on this forum who lived on Maddelein near the church...perhaps more insight regarding your inquiry is forthcoming.

Merry Christmas all. Have a blessed and safe Holiday season!

I don't know and didn't hear any mention of James Berch. I know most of our tree and he's never come up.

My Mom would have taught at the SJS during your time, from 1964-69 her last name was Veen. Not sure what subject she taught. In 1969 she married my Dad, and became Helen Berch

Our family house was 15819 Maddelein[[3rd house in from Rex, directly across street from sjs). 2nd house from Rex was Leona Ground[[she taught me to read). 4th house in was the Austin's.
    Further down the street was the Bunnich's[[sic).

I'll check back for more forthcoming info.

Merry Christmas!

I don't know and didn't hear any mention of James Berch. I know most of our tree and he's never come up.

My Mom would have taught at the SJS during your time, from 1964-69 her last name was Veen. Not sure what subject she taught. In 1969 she married my Dad, and became Helen Berch

Our family house was 15819 Maddelein[[3rd house in from Rex, directly across street from sjs). 2nd house from Rex was Leona Ground[[she taught me to read). 4th house in was the Austin's.

Merry Christmas!
    I grew up at 16061 Maddelein, halfway between Redmond and Boulder. I graduated from SJS in 1970, so somewhat younger than your mom. I did know a family named Buda that lived in the block where your family home was ; friends of my older sister. I will ask my sisters if any of them knew your mom. One of them graduated from SJ in 53, one in 59 and one in 65.
    I don't remember a teacher named Veen; what grade did she teach?

Don't know which grade or subject she taught? Unfortunately.

Merry Christmas!
    I don't recall the Veen name either. Are you familiar with the Hickman family [[lived on Maddelein just behind the rectory...Nels was in cub scouts with me) or the Mihalski family on the northwest corner of Rex and Maddeleine. Gary was in my class an later became a Detroit Police officer.

The name Mihalski rings a bell; probably from my dad. Hickman, not so much. I think the Snodgrass family lived on the corner right behind the rectory.

Merry Christmas!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Check out the St. Jude Facebook page - I up-dated some pictures from Christmas and will try to up-date the website today. The attendance at all Masses was wonderful - it was great to see a packed St. Jude!

Lynn is going to check into our "historical" folder for the answers to some of your questions - others will have to be answered this year during our 70th Anniversary montly quiz, starting in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Check out the St. Jude Facebook page - I up-dated some pictures from Christmas and will try to up-date the website today. The attendance at all Masses was wonderful - it was great to see a packed St. Jude!
    --- Like ---

St. Jude Novena night - 28th of every month - 7pm start - Novena followed by Benediction - all are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Lynn is going to check into our "historical" folder for the answers to some of your questions - others will have to be answered this year during our 70th Anniversary montly quiz, starting in January.
    Thanks CFG. The answers to the relic inquiries and photos of the the parish during the early days will be most appreciated.

Hope all had a great Christmas.

Class of '67, I'll be damned but there I am. Kind of fell into this site while doing a completely different type of search. Saw some of the names and it brought back tons of good memories. Primarily Heilmann field after football or baseball practice with the girls. Smple times back then, things we'd never let our kids get away with today. Still see / talk to a few of the guys [[Russ, Mike, Jim ...)

SJS class of '67 or high school class of '67? I was SJS '70, but I think there are a couple older than me on here that might be more your era

Quote Originally Posted by biggiedD View Post
    Class of '67, I'll be damned but there I am. Kind of fell into this site while doing a completely different type of search. Saw some of the names and it brought back tons of good memories. Primarily Heilmann field after football or baseball practice with the girls. Smple times back then, things we'd never let our kids get away with today. Still see / talk to a few of the guys [[Russ, Mike, Jim ...)
    Welcome biggiedD. SJS class of 67. I'm guessing Russ Ruggirello[[sp?) Mike Naninni, Jim? You will notice on this thread and the old SJ thread many stories related to the 60s era. Check out the St Jude Facebook link with hundreds of photos including a couple of football programs. Also most of the graduating classes starting from 1943 have been archived.

Young whippersnappers - all a ya.

This tread proves that I either have A.D.D., Am getting old and slipping or just too far a West Sider to connect the dots when my Uncle from Chicago sends me a link with St.Jude Detroit. I told him I never knew about the place, Being from the WestSide, and then it hit me. St.Judes was the East Side version of St.Mary,s of Redford. I have read this thread before. One day I will find St.Jude and take some pictures for my Uncle.