Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 205 of 263 FirstFirst ... 105 155 195 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 215 255 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 6559

I did check out the subject on Wikipedia. Interesting reading.

why does that make me sad, that what was once so revered and sacamental is now optional.

Just look at it as now the Mass can be said to anyone, anywhere.

and you know, that's okay with me, as long as it is done reverently and properly and not 'ad hoc' according to the whims of the presider

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    why does that make me sad, that what was once so revered and sacamental is now optional.
    This subject reminds me of an illustration of Mass being said in a battlefield. The altar was a hood of a jeep with an altar cloth draped over the hood with a Chalice on top. The soldiers were wearing their helmets, kneeling or on one knee with rifles at their side..No fancy church or cathedral, no altar stone or relics. The image, imo, is one the most poignant messages of respect and adoration for the Blessed Sacrament.
    Last edited by kellyroad; July-13-10 at 11:05 AM.

The more I am thinking about mass outside of a church, I remember being on scout campouts and having Fr. Eckert come out to say mass and set up his altar on a picnic table. I seem to remember he had a "traveling" altar stone - a cloth with relics sewn into it to use at remote locations. One camporee I remember, we got the word out and close to a couple hundred came. He planned ahead and brought enough eucharist. As kellyroad says, that is quite a message.

Absolutely, KR - the place and altar is no where near as critical as the manner in which the Mass is celebrated and received. The picture to which you're referring brings to mind a much more reverent Mass than I've seen in some churches with stained glass walls and ornate altar linens, where awe, respect and adoration got lost somehow. Well stated....imo

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    The more I am thinking about mass outside of a church, I remember being on scout campouts and having Fr. Eckert come out to say mass and set up his altar on a picnic table. I seem to remember he had a "traveling" altar stone - a cloth with relics sewn into it to use at remote locations. One camporee I remember, we got the word out and close to a couple hundred came. He planned ahead and brought enough eucharist. As kellyroad says, that is quite a message.
    Interesting Laing. This was obviously post 2nd Vatican Council and yet Fr. Eckert had a "traveling" altar stone and a cloth with relics.
    Question: How big was the altar stone?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Interesting Laing. This was obviously post 2nd Vatican Council and yet Fr. Eckert had a "traveling" altar stone and a cloth with relics.
    The choir would spend a week at some lake I can't remember which one exactly now all I remember it had cabins with bunks and Fr. Ording used to come there and have mass for us. In fact, a fellow member sent me a tape of it recently and there were some scenes in it that showed JJO saying Mass. Unfortunetly, it was his only copy and I had to mail it back to him. I've been trying to get him to have it copied over to DVD but haven't been sucessful yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    The choir would spend a week at some lake I can't remember which one exactly now all I remember it had cabins with bunks and Fr. Ording used to come there and have mass for us. In fact, a fellow member sent me a tape of it recently and there were some scenes in it that showed JJO saying Mass. Unfortunetly, it was his only copy and I had to mail it back to him. I've been trying to get him to have it copied over to DVD but haven't been sucessful yet.
    That would be a great addition to the SJ archives!!!

Agreed KR - I'd love to see that! Itsn't it so wonderful how St. Jude/Detroit was a part of our lives not only during the school year - and on Sundays - but as we all recall, outside of those "structured" times as well!

That would be a great addition to the SJ archives!!!

I'll keep prodding him

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I'll keep prodding him
    It's not real easy to transfer from VHS to DVD unless you have the proper equipment. He may have to take it out and get it done. I tried running a VHS on my PC once and it was awful. It split the color spectrum into bands.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It's not real easy to transfer from VHS to DVD unless you have the proper equipment. He may have to take it out and get it done. I tried running a VHS on my PC once and it was awful. It split the color spectrum into bands.
    I guess I was assuming he was going to have to have someone else do it. I told him I would help defray the costs but I think it's more a matter of time than expense at this point

I'll help with the cost defray if that will help

I might ask him to ship it to me again and I'll have it done if necessary

There are some places on line that you can send the tape out to that cost between 10 and 15 bucks per tape to dvd.

Does anyone know if there is a place where some of the "offical photos" and documents of Saint Jude Parish are kept? I vaguely remember seeing photos of the 1st rectory on Kelly Road and the cornerstone being set. There must be documents of the St. Jude relic. I also remember large B&W photos [[sometime around the Golden Jubilee 1991) of craftsmen in the choir loft. There must be somewhere in the confines of SJ Parish, either in the rectory, church, or Parish center "offical" documents and/or photos of SJ during its first years. Just curious.

Does anyone know if there is a place where some of the "offical photos" and documents of Saint Jude Parish are kept? I vaguely remember seeing photos of the 1st rectory on Kelly Road and the cornerstone being set. There must be documents of the St. Jude relic. I also remember large B&W photos [[sometime around the Golden Jubilee 1991) of craftsmen in the choir loft. There must be somewhere in the confines of SJ Parish, either in the rectory, church, or Parish center "offical" documents and/or photos of SJ during its first years. Just curious.
    There just has to be some 8mm of St. Jude in the earlier days around somewhere.

the altar stone was actually a piece of thick like cloth - maybe part silk and part heavyt cotton with designs sewn into it. Was probably 22"x27" and had relics sewn into the four corners and I believe one in the middle - maybe or maybe not, but I remember the ones in the corners

I've seen teams of kids in uniform playing football in St. Jude field these past two afternoons. It seems too hot for that to me. Is the season just starting or just ending - I don't know?
    Last edited by Brock7; July-15-10 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    I've seen teams of kids in uniform playing football in St. Jude field these past two afternoons. It seems to hot for that to me. Is the season just starting or just ending - I don't know?
    I saw a couple of teams on that field last Friday....same question arose. They looked too young to be in high school and besides the conditioning/practicing season doesn't start until August in the state of Mich. They must have been a summer league or a scrimmage for an early fall little league. It was a hot night, but it was nice to see the field being used for football some 60 plus years after SJS started using it for that purpose.

Question: Is the SJS play filed still part of SJ Parish or Archdiocese? Have they sold the land or leasing it? Curious

I think it was sold and is used by the Heilmann schools. I'm not sure where I got that though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I believe the SJ Playfield is still owned by the Parish, so consequently owned by the diocese, but I will get a definite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I believe the SJ Playfield is still owned by the Parish, so consequently owned by the diocese, but I will get a definite answer.

I have a question. With St. Jude having their block party behind the old convent, and still having the blacktop across the road. is the playfield even used much? Just wondering if it could be sold, I am sure the church could use the money. Just a thought.