Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 16 of 198 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    all this talk about that area reminds me of my pediatrician. Anyone else go to Dr. Irving Burton who had his office further down 7 Mile across from Fantasy? He was part of the family who had the big historical collection in Detroit. Dad always thought we were paying for that.
    My pediatrician's office was the Country Club Pediatric Clinic near Harper and Country Club in Harper Woods. My pediatrician was Dr. Paul Zavell [[deceased within the last year or two); or I would sometimes see one of his partners, particularly Dr. E. Dalton Black. There was also a Dr. Azar whose first name I can't remember, and also a fourth doctor neither of whose names I can remember.

You had a pediatrician? What kind of rich family were you a member of? I never even heard of a pediatrician until I had kids of my own in 1976. We went to the GP and were damned glad of it.

well, whatever ya called them. dad had a GP on East Warren he liked, Mom didn't, so she wanted us to go to Burton. After a while, Mom didn't like Burton, so we went to a GP whose office was at Morang and Laing across Laing from the funeral home. I hated that guy - everytime you got a shot, he called for the nurse by pushing a button by the exam doors. grew to hate those damn buttons. Wow, so much hate toward docs!!!

We didn't have a pediatrician either - it was good old Dr. McDonald at State Fair and Gratiot. The place smelled like alcohol and shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    We didn't have a pediatrician either - it was good old Dr. McDonald at State Fair and Gratiot. The place smelled like alcohol and shots.
    Aren't those pretty much the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    My pediatrician used to practice around that same area, perhaps with Dr. Burton. He was likely in the same HMO. His name was Dr. Wilbur Johnson. Nice doctor, but I hated shots, speaking of which I think he stayed for a drink with my Dad once after making a house call. He died in the early to mid eighties, at a relatively young age. Went to his replacement once or twice after that, but it was just not the same. I still miss Doc Johnson today.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; June-17-09 at 05:45 AM.

KR - Don't forget to wash your ankles. I hear the life guards are cracking down on the rubbing for dirt thing.

Went to the pool three times today. Two open sessions, and family night. My eyes are burning and they are all red.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    KR - Don't forget to wash your ankles. I hear the life guards are cracking down on the rubbing for dirt thing.

Went to the pool three times today. Two open sessions, and family night. My eyes are burning and they are all red.

I didn't have that problem umtil I was a teenager. Hint: Carry visine around with you at all time

BTW, a little Googling leads me to believe that the correct name for the church at 7 Mile and Morang is Mt. Hope Methodist:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Hey, I just did another Google search for "Salter House" and found this link. It has some interesting information about this whole area, particularly Kelly Road. There's also a picture of a "Salter House" which is "still standing" at least as of 1996 when this paper was written - so obviously that picture is not of the house we are talking about in this thread.

http://ajlambert.com/anderson/str~~~dr.pdf

EMG, that link doesn't work

Ok, I don't know what's going on here, but for some reason when I paste the link it keeps getting changed on me and won't work. Certain letters in combination must equal some sort of special character command - sigh!

http://ajlambert.com/anderson/ stry _ tdr . pdf

The components of the link are above but the stry....tdr section somehow keeps getting garbaged-up when it turns into a hyperlink. If you paste all of the above into your browser, and then delete the space before stry, the spaces before and after the underscore as well as the spaces before and after the final dot, [[i.e., just make all the characters run together in the order shown) it should work.

There's got to be a better workaround than that, but for now it's the best I could come up with.
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 10:30 PM.

http://ajlambert.com/anderson/

stry_dtr
    type a .pdf after the tdr
    Last edited by jcole; June-16-09 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    http://ajlambert.com/anderson/

stry_dtr
    type a .pdf after the tdr

I did find that if you click on the link you provide above [[which only goes through "anderson") you then get to a directory page and on that directory page you can scroll down to the stry_ tdr link from there.

[[And I did just find that this board has a problem with that combination of characters. In the above which I quoted, you accidentally inverted the d and the t in the part coming after stry. The correct order is tdr, not dtr, but if you do it with the underscore in front of it, it converts to tildes which don't work. That's why I deliberately left a space in it at the end of my first sentence in this post).
    Last edited by EMG; June-16-09 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I did find that if you click on the link you provide above [[which only goes through "anderson") you then get to a directory page and on that directory page you can scroll down to the stry_ tdr link from there.

[[And I did just find that this board has a problem with that combination of characters. In the above which I quoted, you accidentally inverted the d and the t in the part coming after stry. The correct order is tdr, not dtr, but if you do it with the underscore in front of it, it converts to tildes which don't work. That's why I deliberately left a space in it at in my first sentence in this post).
    What the hell does ~~~dr mean that it gets ~~~?

What the hell does ~~~dr mean that it gets ~~~?
    Who knows? But whatever it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Bill Gates idea.

Thanks for the great link EMG and JC. The information on the Salter house states that it still stands at 15303 E. Seven Mile. It was published in the 90s. For the life of me, I thought that house was gone by the early 70s. The picture shown in the link does look like the house by Vetre Hardware. We know at this point that the Salter house is not the St. Jude playfield house.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Thanks for the great link EMG and JC. The information on the Salter house states that it still stands at 15303 E. Seven Mile. It was published in the 90s. For the life of me, I thought that house was gone by the early 70s. The picture shown in the link does look like the house by Vetre Hardware. We know at this point that the Salter house is not the St. Jude playfield house.
    I think it may be gone now. If you google that address, you get this:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Hit the Street View, and you'll see parking lot next to 15307 E. 7 Mile.

I think it may be gone now. If you google that address, you get this:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Hit the Street View, and you'll see parking lot next to 15307 E. 7 Mile.
    Looks like all that's left is the family tree in the backyard.

so, the mystery is now solved. does anyone know if the applebee's at kelly and 8 is still there? last time i was there, they had old pictures of the area hanging in the lobby. seems i remember one with the name of salter. anyone still in detroit able to find out?

It's still there. I just drove by it last week, but I didn't go in. Had a wedding on Harper and 8 1/2 mile.

The one around the block from me on Lappin St. It belonged to an older couple named Daudlin<sp?>.
    It was a double lot with a vegetable garden in the back, as well as a three car garage that opened onto the alley. They also had grape vines and flowers in the big side lot. The house itself was kind of a orange stucco-y looking place. It was large, at least to a kid. It just didn't fit the neighborhood, but looked like it may have been there long before anything else was.

There was a house on Eastwood near Morang that was probably the original farm house in that area. Most of the people who lived in the triangle [[Morang, Kelly, 7 Mile) knew of it. It was a wooden, light gray colored, porch across the front, wood shed/garage off to the side. It was located right next to the alley that ran behind the houses on Morang. The houses located next to the alley all had an extra pie shape land on their property. This house had and extra large pie with a dirt lane that curve from the front on the Eastwood side to the alley. There was a huge tree on the property that was not an elm [[that all the homes had planted in the early 40s). The house has been gone for decades now.....You didn't need an address when referring to the house.

if you want haunted, what about the house on State Fair west of Gratiot that was said to be haunted? big old house on the north side of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    if you want haunted, what about the house on State Fair west of Gratiot that was said to be haunted? big old house on the north side of the street.

I'm glad you brought that one up laing. I remember that house we had to parade in front of it for the beginning of Wish Egan baseball and it gave all of us the willies.

Page 16 of 198 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast