Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 13 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Do you think Tom Monaghan would have allowed a Tiger Opening Day on Good Friday at 1PM?
    Isn't it the league that picks the opener as opposed to the team owner?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Isn't it the league that picks the opener as opposed to the team owner?
    MLB does schedule the openers, howerver, the owners run the MLB. My gut feeling is the TM would have been infuential in having MLB move the home opener time past 3PM or schedule another day or perhaps even changing the schedule if his Tigers were playing at another park during that time.

Not to over editorialize, but a 3 hour window of time to reflect on Christ's death and the special celebration and feeling of opening day in the D should not be intertwined.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Probably not, but he was sacrilegious enough to change the Tigers logo and fire Ernie Harwell. Two deeds which I've never forgiven him for.
    Got to agree Z, but TM was dupped by a guy who should have never been in the position to run the Tigers, namely BO. Just goes to show you can be a legendary coach and college AD but not know the complete score of running a baseball team. TM was guilty of loyality. BTW if you haven't read Michael Rosenberg's "The War as they knew it" [[re: Bo and Woody's football confrontation and political/social viewpoints) get it....just finished it....highly entertaining

KR -
    Saw a little "sidebar" in the paper today - that the Tigers are going out of their way to accommodate the Catholic attendees by offering Fish ---and they ARE the ONLY team to play in the majors at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Got to agree Z, but TM was dupped by a guy who should have never been in the position to run the Tigers, namely BO. Just goes to show you can be a legendary coach and college AD but not know the complete score of running a baseball team. TM was guilty of loyality. BTW if you haven't read Michael Rosenberg's "The War as they knew it" [[re: Bo and Woody's football confrontation and political/social viewpoints) get it....just finished it....highly entertaining

Sounds good is it a new release or has it been out a while? I'm in the middle of 2 books right now but it will be on my radar.

Just got in a minute ago and am reading back a few notes - Will let you know what tomorrow is like at St. Jude - not an appropriate time to take pictures.
    Last year's Holy Thursday's Last Supper Mass was beautiful - and I can't wait until tonight. Father Robert actually asks 12 parishioners to sit in chairs in front of the altar, and one by one he washes feet - and kisses them before moving on to the next person. If that's not Christlike, I don't know what is. Glad I had my kleenex.

JCole - how is your sister feeling? Lynn from St. Jude asked me a while back and I felt bad that I didn't know the answer. Her name is still on our bulletin prayers list.

She's doing much better. The severe headaches are mostly gone now, and she's finally off the medication that she had to take every 4 hours, 4 pills each time. She went for tests Tuesday, but I haven't heard the results yet. I'll let you know as soon as I talk to her.
    Thanks for asking again.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    What were your memories of Good Friday at St. Jude? I recall the stations of the Cross, keeping silent between12noon and 3PM [[except at church), the over crowded church, waiting just to get a seat behind one of the marble pillars.

Do you think Tom Monaghan would have allowed a Tiger Opening Day on Good Friday at 1PM?
    For some reason, I seem to remember being taught that a full two-knee kneel was appropriate on Good Friday, in lieu of a normal genuflect.

I'm quite sure TM would not have allowed this ... even if it meant a forfeit.

I remember going for stations, and then going home and sitting on the porch until Holy Hours were over.
    The biggest thing that I remember about Good Friday, though, is that it seemed to ALWAYS rain between 12 and 3, even if just a few drops. Does anyone else remember this, or is it just me?
    I do remember a lot of cloudy overcast skies during those hours.

Thanks to everyone for their input on my computer problem. JCole did a wonderful job of talking me through it and it is now reinstalled [[I am on IE8 as we speak).
    JCole, thanks again for all your help in this maddening matter... your the best thing ever!

JC - I also remember the rain between 12 and 3. Odd, isn't it the things we remember from our youth.

Z - No I don't remember Kevin, but the name sound vaguely familiar. Probably need to see a pic.

MKap, Glad I could help. I know how annoying Microsoft can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post

Z - No I don't remember Kevin, but the name sound vaguely familiar. Probably need to see a pic.

Ask and ye shall receive
    Last edited by zitro; January-19-10 at 12:03 PM.

Very nice Obituary in the Detroit News on Mrs. Elsey today.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...church++travel
    Last edited by zitro; April-10-09 at 08:00 AM.

Very nice Obituary in the Detroit News on Mrs. Elsey today.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...church++travel
    Thank for sharing this, Z.

Thanks Z - I forwarded on to Daugher-in-law, Linda, who I work with here.
    Holy Thursday Mass was wonderful, probably 100-125 attending. Will be back there from 12-3 - then decorations at 4. I also remember there always being clouds overhead, and some rain during the 12-3 - and it struck me as appropriate and awesome at the same time. I'd also like to wish everyone a Blessed Easter!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Thanks Z - I forwarded on to Daugher-in-law, Linda, who I work with here.
    Holy Thursday Mass was wonderful, probably 100-125 attending. Will be back there from 12-3 - then decorations at 4. I also remember there always being clouds overhead, and some rain during the 12-3 - and it struck me as appropriate and awesome at the same time. I'd also like to wish everyone a Blessed Easter!
    And to you too, CFG.

Butter lambs set ... gonna color some eggs for fun ... some very tasty deviled eggs still to do ... and a mid-day Saturday trip to get food blessed.

Wow, how did I miss the mention in the thread about Mrs. Elsey? Doug was in my class. I remember her a little, but from what I remember, she was loved by all. I wish all my new found St. Jude friends a happy and holy Easter season. Let the love and guidance of our Lord be with all of you.

Did anyone get their free Arby's roast beef sandwich by taking in the box score from Wednesday's game when the Tigers hit 3 home runs?

Did anyone get their free Arby's roast beef sandwich by taking in the box score from Wednesday's game when the Tigers hit 3 home runs?
    Is that a new Arby promo this year, or am I wayyyyy behind the times?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Butter lambs set ... gonna color some eggs for fun ... some very tasty deviled eggs still to do ... and a mid-day Saturday trip to get food blessed.
    I got my butter lamb at the Polish Market on Weds, as well as about 8 lbs of assorted kielbasas, some good Polish rye and some potato/cheese pierogi. The pierogi are gone, but there's still 5 lbs of kielbasa and a couple loaves of rye for Easter dinner. Oh, and the lamb. He's still whole.

Is that a new Arby promo this year, or am I wayyyyy behind the times?

I think it is new. Nice touch by the Tigs to have an auto worker from each of the Big 3 throw out the first pitch today too.

I think it is new. Nice touch by the Tigs to have an auto worker from each of the Big 3 throw out the first pitch today too.
    I think I heard that Kid Rock is carrying the balls out to the mound.

I got my butter lamb at the Polish Market on Weds, as well as about 8 lbs of assorted kielbasas, some good Polish rye and some potato/cheese pierogi. The pierogi are gone, but there's still 5 lbs of kielbasa and a couple loaves of rye for Easter dinner. Oh, and the lamb. He's still whole.
    Ooooh, and I almost forgot, a couple pounds of their homemade sauerkraut. The kielbase needs that to cozy up to.

Page 13 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast