Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 115 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 125 165 215 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 6559

At one time, we used to get our pizza there. Dad would bring beer to the owner he called Paisan. He always told dad that he was going to take him to Italy with him to see his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    It was the Sphynx to the best of my recall - next door to the bakery, right? Now, which was the ritzy gift shoppe at the corner of Morang and ? kitty corner from Chathams?
    yes, Polish dinner on 11/22 - also date of big raffle!
    Was it next to the bakery, or was there a butcher shop in there?

I think it was next to a butcher shop, then the bakery, then the party store on the end. I may have that wrong.

wait a minute, which gift shop are you talking about?

Ok - I sit corrected on the Pecars - it was closer to Cadieux. Was there a Roaring 20's food Market on Hayes between Faircrest and Saratoga, too? I remember a corner store on Faircrest and Hayes, where we got penny candy and our kites. No spring was complete without a kite flying attempt at Heilmann/SJ Playfield!

CFG, I will have to defer to those who lived out that way. Those of us who lived east of Kelly used to go to either Deronne's Hardware or Ross Drugs for kites and flew them either at Denby or on the gravel field at Carlton. Those definitely were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    wait a minute, which gift shop are you talking about?
    Sphynx. You?

OK, me too, was a little confused as we were also talking about Sapphire.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I am planning on that Polish dinner, 7. I hope to see you there.
    If I'm not there, it won't be due to forgetfulness.

I think about that homemade Polish food daily!

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Sphynx. You?
    We used to affectionately refer to this place as The Sphynxter but stopped going there because there were too many a**holes hanging around
    Last edited by zitro; November-04-09 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    CFG, I will have to defer to those who lived out that way. Those of us who lived east of Kelly used to go to either Deronne's Hardware or Ross Drugs for kites and flew them either at Denby or on the gravel field at Carlton. Those definitely were the days.
    I remember Deronne's Hardware [[suspect Ross may have been before my time as I don't remember ever hearing of that one) and I think I may even have gotten a kite or two from Deronne's too. But although I lived on Nottingham and attended school at Carleton, I actually did most of my kite flying either at Heilmann field or - better yet - the east [[hill) side of Balduck. There were too many trees around Carleton. This was in the late 60s to mid 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I remember Deronne's Hardware [[suspect Ross may have been before my time as I don't remember ever hearing of that one) and I think I may even have gotten a kite or two from Deronne's too. But although I lived on Nottingham and attended school at Carleton, I actually did most of my kite flying either at Heilmann field or - better yet - the east [[hill) side of Balduck. There were too many trees around Carleton. This was in the late 60s to mid 70's.
    Don't remember Deronne's or much east of Kelly for that matter ... except Pecars, Kavans, Chathams at Kelly and 31 flavors on Cadieux betwixt Morang and the Edsel Ford Fwy ... fell in love there ... with a rootbeer float with rocky road ice cream ... still love it after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Don't remember Deronne's or much east of Kelly for that matter ... except Pecars, Kavans, Chathams at Kelly and 31 flavors on Cadieux betwixt Morang and the Edsel Ford Fwy ... fell in love there ... with a rootbeer float with rocky road ice cream ... still love it after all these years.
    Well then you remember the four most important places on Morang, and that's all that matters!

Actually, Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors was on the southwest corner of Morang and McKinney, a block west of where Cadieux ends at Morang. Unfortunately it's long gone since at least the 80's - replaced by a hot dog stand for a while and as for now - who knows? Don't feel like pulling up Google tonight but maybe over the weekend when I have more time will check out the area.

Pecars and Kavans were on my block and I was very familiar with both.
    Last edited by EMG; November-05-09 at 07:09 AM.

We used to get our kites at either Vetare, Bidigare's or the penny candy store and, as a young kid, flew them at Heilmann. As a teen, it was Belle Isle for the WABX Kite-in and once or twice on the front lawn of U of D High.

Ross Drugs was on the corner of Morang and Whitehill, across from Al's car wash. Frank DeSantis' shoe shop was behind Ross Drugs on Whitehill, Gooch's barber shop was next to Ross Drugs,a nd Joe's Tick Tock market was next, then Sommer's Funeral Home.

Good one, J - I remember Vetere's is where I got my standard issue - blue nylon jacket with name in white block letters on back. Wasn't that "in" at some point? Vetere's is also where I got my first pair of hockey skates since they sold the 'recycled' skates at a good price.

Good one, J - I remember Vetere's is where I got my standard issue - blue nylon jacket with name in white block letters on back. Wasn't that "in" at some point? Vetere's is also where I got my first pair of hockey skates since they sold the 'recycled' skates at a good price.
    Oh, the windbreaker with last name in white letters was the last word in cool. Had to wear it unsnapped so the wind could billow it out in back.
    Didn't they also sell yellow letters, too?

Absolutely unsnapped and billowing - if I remember, it was about as thin as saran wrap too! I don't remember the yellow letters.....did that make it more or less cool?

Absolutely unsnapped and billowing - if I remember, it was about as thin as saran wrap too! I don't remember the yellow letters.....did that make it more or less cool?
    You know, I was hoping someone would remember about the 'cool' factor of the yellow letters. I think it was less cool, but I'm not a hundred percent on that.

I'm going with less cool too, since you and I both had the white letters! :-)

Rules for the letter jackets:

Boys-last name only
    Girls-usually first name but last name was okay too
    White Letters Cool
    Yellow Letters-Not

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Rules for the letter jackets:

Boys-last name only
    Girls-usually first name but last name was okay too
    White Letters Cool
    Yellow Letters-Not
    Thanks, Z, I should have known that I need go no further than you to get the real skinny on this.

Thanks, Z, I should have known that I need go no further than you to get the real skinny on this.
    It all written right there in the Cool Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    It all written right there in the Cool Handbook
    Which, of course, you co-authored.

Which, of course, you co-authored.
    Just added an addendum. James Dean wrote the original version