Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 263 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 111 ... LastLast

TS, thanks for your helpful hints about viewing pictures. I checked the three boxes you listed, and I can now see your pictures and KR's. I still have to click on SJJ's to see hers.

SJ, thank you for the pictures. If those girls are Reginites, it has to be at least 1962. I think that's when the school opened. The jewelry store there is where I got my first 'going steady' ring in 1972; a blue star sapphire.
    And the building just out of view to the left is where the Hudson Pantry shop was, so now I know where the Kroger was.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    JC: Let's take a trip down memory lane. The year is 1970. You're standing by the hippo. Eastland is still an outdoors shopping center. You are heading west [[toward Kelly road) and about to enter a building that contains several shops including the Kroger building. As you enter the building you'll find the Alexander and Horning butcher shop on your right, to your left is the AAA pet shop. Continue down the hall and you'll find a record shop and a travel store and many other small shops. You'll finally end up at the Kroger store on the very west end Eastland. If you go left [[toward the NDHS side of the parking lot) you'll notice Hot Sams at the very end. Across from Hot Sams is of course Kroger. There was a drive up delivery service available on the southside [[NDHS side) which at the time seemed so futuristic. Kroger would load your bags into a cart put them on a rollers and your bags would be ready when you drove up. Some one had mentioned before that the Kroger that was in the Calcaterra Funeral Home location was the one that moved into the Eastland location.
    I now have a pretty clear picture of the Kroger. I remember the AH meat shop, and the Hudson Pantry was right across the hall. Now that you mention the Hot Sam's, I can picture the Orange Julius Stand also, and then in my minds eye, I see the automatic doors with the metal rails leading up to them and the high window to the Kroger. I also remember the pet store and the travel store. I think I had to go there for a school project once, for info on a foreign country.
    Thank you for the walk through. I remember most of it now.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Interesting they list Kitty Kelly in Eastland, for as long as I can remeber it was across the sreet on 8 mile.
    My sister Fran worked at the Kitty Kelly when it was across 8 Mile. I don't ever remember it at Eastland either.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    TS, wasn't Spiegel's in there too, along with some fancy restaurant named Stoffers on the Beaconsfield side?
    I think Stouffer's was more on the 8 Mile side, but back toward Beaconsfield. that was a popular 'after Prom' spot in the sixties and early seventies.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    Here's shot of Eastland from the 50"s. I think the Kroger was to the left, out of this shot unfortunately. From the view point of the photographer, you are looking toward 8 Mile. On the rights is Meyer Jewelery and past that is the Cunningham's. Remember you used to be able to walk through Cunningham's and come out on the other side of the cluster of shops. I think if you kept walking past Cunningham's you would find the Nut House.

I always thought that the grocery store was a Great Scott. Nearby was a Detroit Edison store where you could bring in your burnt out bulbs and get new ones.
    Notice the 2 Regina girls in this picture...must've just got out of school and are headed for Hudson's!

Great memory jog about Edison. In addition to returning burned out light bulbs there was a small appliance repair service. Remember when it was actually worthwhile to actually have a toaster repaired instead of replaced.

In that picture if you were to walk left from Meyer Jewelery under the overhead you would end up entering the set of stores that included Kroger. It appears that the shot was taken right where the hippo was located. Cunningham's was the only store open on Sunday at Eastland. It use to be a nice treat just to roam around window shopping on Sunday and ending up with a fountain treat at Cunningham's

TS, wasn't Spiegel's in there too, along with some fancy restaurant named Stoffers on the Beaconsfield side?
    Yeah, I think they must have opened after the initial opening of the mall. There's an Eastland mall thread on the old forums, and in there I saw a clipping about the opening of Stouffers.

Greetings from beautiful Selinsgrove, PA. Play nice while I'm gone. I'll be keeping an eye on you kids.

JC, those dried sausages at A & H were called landjaegers [[sp?). My Dad loved them. So did I. Just can't find butcher shops like that any more. What I wouldn't give for some good head cheese or blood tongue.

My real favorite, though, was Blance & Enoch on Harper where my Belgian mother bought fabulous Belgian pork sausage & blood sausage [[that only in the winter). They also sold a wonderful dried ham sort of like proscuitto.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Greetings from beautiful Selinsgrove, PA. Play nice while I'm gone. I'll be keeping an eye on you kids.

JC, those dried sausages at A & H were called landjaegers [[sp?). My Dad loved them. So did I. Just can't find butcher shops like that any more. What I wouldn't give for some good head cheese or blood tongue.

My real favorite, though, was Blance & Enoch on Harper where my Belgian mother bought fabulous Belgian pork sausage & blood sausage [[that only in the winter). They also sold a wonderful dried ham sort of like proscuitto.
    EB, glad you made it there safely. How long are you going to be staying down there?
    I know what you mean about butcher shops. I love to go to a good one and get a big thick steak or pork chops. Grocery store meats just don't compare

I'll be heading back tomorrow or Friday, depending on how long the work on the sidecar rig takes.

No, I didn't ride it here. I'm not that fond of long motorcycle trips in the snow.

Just checked my DY status. I see mine improved too ... up to "peon" from "pissant".
    CMAO!! Only a few of us understand the double meaning of this one.

Anybody else ever get busted by the mall police sliding down the hill to the tunnel entrance under Eastland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    Anybody else ever get busted by the mall police sliding down the hill to the tunnel entrance under Eastland?
    Nope, didn't.

I'm off to Tie Rack myself to get a bow tie to go with my red blazer from Robert Hall.

I love Easter. I remember well searching for that Easter basket Mom packed with such loving care.

I always preferred the hollow chocolate bunnies, and the red and black jelly beans ... still do. And those cardboard coin banks were fun to fill.
    Seems to me Rumblefish used to get his Easter duds from Robert Hall. Remember Rumblefish?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    . In that picture if you were to walk left from Meyer Jewelery
    Ah, Meyer Jewelry Store, that's where my wedding ring came from!

BSJR - At least it didn't come from the Meijer Grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSistertoJohnR View Post
    Ah, Meyer Jewelry Store, that's where my wedding ring came from!
    That jewelry store must hold a lot of memories for a lot of girls from out area. I remember window shopping there, and then getting my 'steady' ring for my birthday from there.

Oh yeah Mkap. Slid down that hill many a time and got busted a few times too. Thanks for the memory jog.

Jet- Did you know Kevin Tomin? I know he lived in HW and I think he left SJ after 7th grade. He would have be in the class of '70. Was just looking a pic he was in from 7th grade basketball and it made me think of him.

Okay all you techies out there, I have a question. I downloaded Internet Explorer 8. I think I changed the toolbar settings somehow and it sounds as if the popup blocker is still on and IE8 will no longer load. I get that blocker notifying sound when trying to load and the program cuts out. When right clicking the IE logo on the desktop and I click the "NoAddons" window it opens but will not load any websites. What's going on? Can I disable the blocker somehow? Regenerate the toolbar settings? Where?
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Dumb Bunny

Hey group, been out of town for a while - man, this thread has really grown! Yalking about the good old Eastland days, I remember the grocery store at Eastland. Went there quite a bit. Now, which store had the basement? Was it a Kresge that had a door to the parking lot? Used to get Matchbox cars there when I was a kid and then it was where I used to get all my 45's - remember getting "Signs", and when I got home, it skipped all over, took it back the nexct day, got a new one, plus they let me get 2 others for free. Seems to me there was also a liquor store Dad used to get his Four Roses at.

Okay all you techies out there, I have a question. I downloaded Internet Explorer 8. I think I changed the toolbar settings somehow and it sounds as if the popup blocker is still on and IE8 will no longer load. I get that blocker notifying sound when trying to load and the program cuts out. When right clicking the IE logo on the desktop and I click the "NoAddons" window it opens but will not load any websites. What's going on? Can I disable the blocker somehow? Regenerate the toolbar settings? Where?
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Dumb Bunny
    When you say IE will no longer load, do you mean that it won't open at all or what?

Only knowing enough to make me dangerous, but could you un-install what you have done, and re-install it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    When you say IE will no longer load, do you mean that it won't open at all or what?
    MKap, email me directly, and I'll see if i can help.

Laing - No can do, went into add remove and it can't happen.

Page 11 of 263 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 111 ... LastLast