Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 108 of 263 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 118 158 208 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Here is 16100 Moross. It's kitty corner from the Auto Zone, or whatever parts store that is where Calcaterra's used to be.

It's across the alley from the party store, towards Fordham
    Some of the Eastwood gang, including 7kid, played on the construction site of that flower shop in the early 60s...even before Colonial Savings was built. It went up shorttly after Calcaterra was established across the street...Smart move. The shop owners didn't seem to mind a young kid walking in, opening the glass door display case, and just taking a wiff of the fragrances. The gift shop folks, however, got a little antsy, even when kids would walk in just to look. The display tables were very close...One had to be extra careful when wearing an extra thick winter jacket not to knock over an expensive ceramic lamp unwittingly. ....It seems that none of the stores on that corner had a sign on the store itself, George's Party Time and Jason's Bakery had signs inside the windows but the butcher shop and the gift shop did not have signs....Refresh my memory....What was the name of the butcher shop? Karl's?

Just a heads up, it appears that Google Maps has updated the streetviews in and around our old neighborhood. It seems you can "cruise" most, if not all of the side streets. Much better than it used to be, and the picture quality appears to be much improved too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Just a heads up, it appears that Google Maps has updated the streetviews in and around our old neighborhood. It seems you can "cruise" most, if not all of the side streets. Much better than it used to be, and the picture quality appears to be much improved too.
    Amazing technology, Tsom. Thank you.

Now if they would just give me something that knew my whereabouts, and could help guide me from point A to point B.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    amazing technology, tsom. Thank you.

Now if they would just give me something that knew my whereabouts, and could help guide me from point a to point b.
    gps??????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    gps??????????????????????????????????
    Yes, EB. Thanks for offering.

See. "Ask and you shall receive" is alive and well.

Amazing technology, Tsom. Thank you.

Now if they would just give me something that knew my whereabouts, and could help guide me from point A to point B.
    Just remember with all this technology, "big brother is watching you."

After a bit more cruising on Google maps, it appears that the pics are very recent. It seems that the streets have a bit of fall color to them. Another bonus for this deprived Texan.

OH BOY!!! I've been waiting for this moment and thought it was long overdue! I can't wait to check it out.

After a bit more cruising on Google maps, it appears that the pics are very recent. It seems that the streets have a bit of fall color to them. Another bonus for this deprived Texan.
    Yeah, but you've got live oaks, and cacti all winter. Not to mention Bluebells in the spring with some Indian Paintbrush thrown in.
    Attachment 3518

That picture almost looks like it could be in Arizona!

Actually, the rumors of tree absence in the Valley of the Sun are greatly exaggerated. We get fall color too. It just happens for a few days in December instead of a few weeks in October.

Yeah, but you've got live oaks, and cacti all winter. Not to mention Bluebells in the spring with some Indian Paintbrush thrown in.
    Attachment 3518
    Nice picture, J. For a second there I thought it was west of Hayes south of 7 from Google.

BTW, the address of the gift shop is 16134 Moross Rd. It's a door company now.

Nice picture, J. For a second there I thought it was west of Hayes south of 7 from Google.
    My initial thought was "Balduck Park Hill" - seriously overgrown!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    That picture almost looks like it could be in Arizona!

Actually, the rumors of tree absence in the Valley of the Sun are greatly exaggerated. We get fall color too. It just happens for a few days in December instead of a few weeks in October.
    It's part of the Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg. It's truly beautiful there

It's part of the Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg. It's truly beautiful there
    Is that anywhere near Enchanted Rock?

Point of Discussion: Another thread introduced the theme of school films. It got me thinking about the school films at St. Jude either shown in class, the gym, or sponsored at a local theater [[i.e. Ramona). There were often film strip usually religious in nature such as the one about the scapular hung on a house door in France during a great fire....The house with the scapular was saved, or the one about Fatima. The movies at the theater were Disney in nature, usually a Hayley Mills feature. Does anyone remember any of the movies shown in the gym and/or theater?

P.S. There is a black and white photo somewhere in the archives of my dad presenting Sr. Leonita a Bell and Howell movie projector compliments of the Dad's Club
    Last edited by kellyroad; October-15-09 at 05:35 PM.

There was a movie at the Ramona for SJS that was about St. Maria Goretti. Also, they showed us Cheaper by the Dozen in 6th grade or so but that was at the theater at 8 and Gratiot, I think.

Is that anywhere near Enchanted Rock?
    It's fairly close to Enchanted Rock; the rock is more directly north of Fredericksburg will Willow City is somewhat NorthEast

The two I remember seeing as a large group are "Song of Bernadette", and "And Now Miguel" [[a movie about a shepherd boy). I also remember seeing "The Trouble With Angels" at the Ramona where the audience was all kids, but I couldn't swear that was a school event.

The two I remember seeing as a large group are "Song of Bernadette", and "And Now Miguel" [[a movie about a shepherd boy). I also remember seeing "The Trouble With Angels" at the Ramona where the audience was all kids, but I couldn't swear that was a school event.
    I remember an SJS sponsored movie at Eastland Theater just shortly after it opened ... The Munsters maybe.

wow, I remember being at the Ramona to see "Song of Bernadette". forgot about that for all these years. as i remember that, it was entirely st. jude people. also remember the movies shown in the gym during summer months. seems mr. libecki had something to do with those - organized them, ran them, something like that. those were family movies, and i think cartoons. seems they were shown on saturday afternoons.

so watching conan obrien tonight. his city of choice to make fun of is now detroit instead of newark. any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    so watching conan obrien tonight. his city of choice to make fun of is now detroit instead of newark. any thoughts?
    10 o'clock is the new 11:30.

Boy, thanks again for mentioning that. Like I said earlier, I had been waiting for that moment and now that it's arrived I think I'm going to be a slave to the computer for a while! Of course I was immediately able to zoom in on the block on which I grew up - Nottingham between Morang and Britain - and found that it hadn't changed much over the years since I'd last seen it. I was however disappointed to see the deterioration in some other areas of the immediate neighborhood, such as the boarded up and seriously-overgrown-with-weeds place on the northeast corner of Yorkshire and Payton. Also it looks like there's a new bar at the old site of Kavan's on the southeast corner of Morang and Nottingham. I remember when that Kavan's was originally built in the early 70's, replacing the old "Pure" gas station that was there before that. I also enjoyed zooming around a few other streets. It is amazing how even after all these years it was like being right there, with buildings I had long forgotten popping into view and re-remembering them instantly as if I'd never left.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post

Typical late night crap. All late night shows have been banned in our abode for some time now. They can take their radical, elitist snobbery and stick it, and any advetisers on thier shows won't get a dime of mine either. If they think the American people are so dumb that we will sit there and watch them make fun of us and then turn around and expect us to pay our hard earned money for their products they have another thing coming.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Boy, thanks again for mentioning that. Like I said earlier, I had been waiting for that moment and now that it's arrived I think I'm going to be a slave to the computer for a while! Of course I was immediately able to zoom in on the block on which I grew up - Nottingham between Morang and Britain - and found that it hadn't changed much over the years since I'd last seen it. I was however disappointed to see the deterioration in some other areas of the immediate neighborhood, such as the boarded up and seriously-overgrown-with-weeds place on the northeast corner of Yorkshire and Payton. Also it looks like there's a new bar at the old site of Kavan's on the southeast corner of Morang and Nottingham. I remember when that Kavan's was originally built in the early 70's, replacing the old "Pure" gas station that was there before that. I also enjoyed zooming around a few other streets. It is amazing how even after all these years it was like being right there, with buildings I had long forgotten popping into view and re-remembering them instantly as if I'd never left.
    It seems like a time warp doesn't EMG? That area as you described was a beautiful neighborhood with brick bungalows on elm tree lined streets. Kavan's was the new and in place to go for a great burger and a brew. It's amazing how fast things change in less than one generation's time.