Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 107 of 263 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Tony Ingrao is the one who opened up the arcade on Kelly around State Fair
    I remembered you saying that, so I posted that one for you. Jack, the Lum's is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Bar game:
    The Paper Station

It looks like we missed the Star Bar on this one. I caught it in the 70' football program. I wonder how many schools would allow bars to advertize on the programs these days.

I noticed a bunch of bars in there and the Regina Yearbooks. I swear, if they would have paid enough, the nuns would have let strip joints advertise. They one time rented out the auditorium to Dick Gregory and Jane Fonda for a anti-Viet Nam rally. To give them credit, I believe they thought it was Dick Gregory the comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I remembered you saying that, so I posted that one for you. Jack, the Lum's is yours.
    I'll take an Ollie burger and a frosted rootbeer please

I noticed a bunch of bars in there and the Regina Yearbooks. I swear, if they would have paid enough, the nuns would have let strip joints advertise. They one time rented out the auditorium to Dick Gregory and Jane Fonda for a anti-Viet Nam rally. To give them credit, I believe they thought it was Dick Gregory the comedian.
    Dick Gregory the comedian IS Dick Gregory the activist, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Dick Gregory the comedian IS Dick Gregory the activist, no?
    Yes, you're correct. What I meant was that they thought he was going to do stand up, not activism.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Unless Pape's had multiple branches, I suspect not. I remember for a fact that there was a Pape's on the southeast corner of Kelly and Houston-Whittier, and I suspect that is the store you are thinking of. My grandmother was ENAMORED with that store and I remember spending many boring hours there. I much preferred the Cunningham's in the Civic Center right across the street from Papes.

By 1980, Pape's was out of business and had been replaced with a bike shop.
    Wasn't there a Weinstein's That sold electronics and jewelry on the southwest corner of Houston/Whittier [[that would have been across the street from Pape's).
    .....But for the life of me that gift shop on the corner of Moross and Kelly [[next to Jason's bakery on Moross and next to JB barber shop on Kelly) didn't have a name....It was always refered to as "The Gift Shop". The name Pape's just doesn't ring a bell. If EB says so it's Pape's till proven other wise. .....Is this going to be the next great mystery? Was it indeed Pape's?

No, we already ascertained that Pape's was on HW. Was it an Italian name? Bonaldi's rings a bell, but I think that may have been in East Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Wasn't there a Weinstein's That sold electronics and jewelry on the southwest corner of Houston/Whittier [[that would have been across the street from Pape's).
    .....But for the life of me that gift shop on the corner of Moross and Kelly [[next to Jason's bakery on Moross and next to JB barber shop on Kelly) didn't have a name....It was always refered to as "The Gift Shop". The name Pape's just doesn't ring a bell. If EB says so it's Pape's till proven other wise. .....Is this going to be the next great mystery? Was it indeed Pape's?
    I think this cements the idea that this store was a front for the mob. More activity out the back door than the front
    Last edited by zitro; October-12-09 at 11:32 AM.

I have gone through everything I have that may have that gift shop's name on it - will look for my 75 Denby yearbook tonight. Z, any idea if you may have a St. Jude Calendar with an ad in it? As I remember, it was Pape's House of Gifts on Whittier. Man, I can remember all those lamps in there and never wanting to go in for fear of knocking something down. Could it have been Maloof's?

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I have gone through everything I have that may have that gift shop's name on it - will look for my 75 Denby yearbook tonight. Z, any idea if you may have a St. Jude Calendar with an ad in it? As I remember, it was Pape's House of Gifts on Whittier. Man, I can remember all those lamps in there and never wanting to go in for fear of knocking something down. Could it have been Maloof's?
    Maloof was on Harper, I think, and he dealt in larger appliances and jewelry. My dad used to go to him for good deals for washers, dryers, stereos and my mom's jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I'll go through everything again, it's been a while since I looked for that store distinctly. It's got to be somewhere
    Last edited by zitro; October-12-09 at 03:14 PM.

Maloof was on Harper, I think, and he dealt in larger appliances and jewelry. My dad used to go to him for good deals for washers, dryers, stereos and my mom's jewelry.
    Yes, I believe Maloof was on the corner of 12 mile and Harper.

Which reminds me of Service Merchandise which I think [[it's been a long time) was at the site of the old E.J. Korvette's at 12 mile and Gratiot.....??

Yeah, we figured out that it wasn't Pape's. I posted that I found it was on Houston-Whittier up above.
    Yep, I plead guilty to not reading carefully enough. This thread is so popular I just can't keep up with all the new posts!!!

Maloof was originally at 14423 Mack.
    There was the Saphire Gift Shop - 'Gifts of Unusual Distinction': 12446 Morang, which was next to Lombardi Foods, which was across the street from Terrace Dining and Cocktail Lounge.
    How about a great burger and chili at the Rosewood Lounge on Kelly, which was near the Treble Cleff music store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    Maloof was originally at 14423 Mack.
    There was the Saphire Gift Shop - 'Gifts of Unusual Distinction': 12446 Morang, which was next to Lombardi Foods, which was across the street from Terrace Dining and Cocktail Lounge.
    How about a great burger and chili at the Rosewood Lounge on Kelly, which was near the Treble Cleff music store.

Count me in Mkap!!

I think this cements the idea that this store was a front for the mob. More activity out the back door than the front
    The 7_and_Kelly_Kid had access to JB's barber shop via the back door. Use to hang out there while the kid swept the floor and straightend up. We should have been more attentive to the back door traffic of the neighboring bussinesses. There must have been more action in that area than George loading up the van for beer deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    The 7_and_Kelly_Kid had access to JB's barber shop via the back door. Use to hang out there while the kid swept the floor and straightend up. We should have been more attentive to the back door traffic of the neighboring bussinesses. There must have been more action in that area than George loading up the van for beer deliveries.
    George's back door ... sure ain't what it used to be. Used to use that one alot coming in off the alley between Fordham and Eastwood ... didn't seem to bother him in the least.

That alley's changed somewhat too from what I remember.

Did someone say the owner of the gift shop in question owned the whole block of stores? Just can't find an ad for them anywhere. If only their name was on a book of matches.

Where would 16100 Moross be located?

Where would 16100 Moross be located?
    I think that's the flower shop west of George's Party Time and Jason's Pastry Shoppe closer to the Pure station across Fordham. Close, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I think that's the flower shop west of George's Party Time and Jason's Pastry Shoppe closer to the Pure station across Fordham. Close, that's for sure.
    It is the flower shop I guess I was grssping at straws. I forgot about the flower shop, then it the fish store right?

It is the flower shop I guess I was grssping at straws. I forgot about the flower shop, then it the fish store right?
    Now I'm confused. I think 16100 Moross was the flower shop [[Lauri's) just across the alley servicing Kelly Rd. from George's just around the curve where Fordham ends to the east on the south side of the street.

The fish shop replaced Union 76 which Pure became, but now that you mention it, it might have been a flower shop at one point too.

Here is 16100 Moross. It's kitty corner from the Auto Zone, or whatever parts store that is where Calcaterra's used to be.

It's across the alley from the party store, towards Fordham
    Last edited by jcole; October-12-09 at 11:43 PM.