Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 104 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 114 154 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 6559

Hybrid View

Default St. Jude School Detroit Class of 1967

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1319760...n/photostream/
    Does anyone recognize or is still in touch with anyone in this class photo?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1319760...n/photostream/
    Does anyone recognize or is still in touch with anyone in this class photo?
    Kellyroad, I'm engaged to E. Hemmen and friends with M. Marchwinski.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    Congrats on the engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    Knew Betty from the class of 67. Congrats. Best Wishes!

Class of '67, I'll be damned but there I am. Kind of fell into this site while doing a completely different type of search. Saw some of the names and it brought back tons of good memories. Primarily Heilmann field after football or baseball practice with the girls. Smple times back then, things we'd never let our kids get away with today. Still see / talk to a few of the guys [[Russ, Mike, Jim ...)

Quote Originally Posted by biggiedD View Post
    Class of '67, I'll be damned but there I am. Kind of fell into this site while doing a completely different type of search. Saw some of the names and it brought back tons of good memories. Primarily Heilmann field after football or baseball practice with the girls. Smple times back then, things we'd never let our kids get away with today. Still see / talk to a few of the guys [[Russ, Mike, Jim ...)
    Welcome biggiedD. SJS class of 67. I'm guessing Russ Ruggirello[[sp?) Mike Naninni, Jim? You will notice on this thread and the old SJ thread many stories related to the 60s era. Check out the St Jude Facebook link with hundreds of photos including a couple of football programs. Also most of the graduating classes starting from 1943 have been archived.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1319760...55293/sizes/l/
    Does anyone recognize or is still in touch with anyone in this class picture?
    I noticed that 68 had the student council featured as welll as officers from the 4 classrooms.
    Wasn't S. Carey the daughter of Detroit councilman Ed Carey?
    Chris Mazzola became the original drummer of Toby Redd.
    Many neighbors...Paul Avery, Kathy Bass, Sharon Jarzombek to name a few
    Last edited by kellyroad; February-23-10 at 02:53 PM.

I noticed that 68 had the student council featured as welll as officers from the 4 classrooms.
    Wasn't S. Carey the daughter of Detroit councilman Ed Carey?
    Chris Mazzola became the original drummer of Toby Redd.
    Many neighbors...Paul Avery, Kathy Bass, Sharon Jarzombek to name a few
    Yes she was, in fact one of her older sisters was the object of affection of those 2 pervs Eat Sht & Go Blow. I'm sure glad we scared them away. I'm still waiting for them to release the epic novel they were working on, titled- Two Frightened Dweebs trying to survive the Eastside of Detroit
    Last edited by zitro; February-23-10 at 03:30 PM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1319760...55293/sizes/l/
    Does anyone recognize or is still in touch with anyone in this class picture?
    That's MY class! I'm still in touch with Mary Ellen [[Gagnon) Massey and Jennifer [[Ceccacci) Miklasz.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I still remember Sr. Robert Marie's diagram of a sentence and still re-write my user documentation with her in mind. Sometimes I think, "but there's no other way to end that sentence than with a preposition, eh?"
    I still keep her rules in sentence structure in mind to this very day...well at least on some occasions [[probably not in this forum). Never start a sentence with "because" or a conjunction [[use a semicolon and have a compound sentence). Avoid starting sentences with prepositions. Of course avoid splitting infinitives and dangling participles. I often wonder if those rules did more to enforce proper grammar and syntax or sequester creativity. I'm guessing the former. It still is amazing that the Dominican nuns could take a class of over fifty 10 year olds and painstakingly have everyone go to the blackboard and diagram compound sentences.

Class of '68 had a lot of the older sibs of our class.
    Marian Sawicki, Rose Meganck, Shannon Carey, Deb Whalen's sister just to mention a few.
    I also see one of my crushes in there: Don Buffard.
    Last edited by jcole; February-23-10 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Class of '68 had a lot of the older sibs of our class.
    Marian Sawicki, Rose Meganck, Shannon Carey, Deb Whalen's sister just to mention a few.
    I also see one of my crushes in there: Don Buffard.
    Don Bouffard sure was a cutie--and also very nice! I always envied his deep blue "Maybelline eyes." He hung around with Scott Riker [[another cutie and nice guy) and Mark Geijsbers [[our 7th grade "class clown" cutie). I remember Father O'Leary asked Mark to define Purgatory, and Mark glibly responded that in Purgatory "they don't let you go to the bathroom for a year." That certainly underwhelmed the good padre...

Quote Originally Posted by bkd4life View Post
    Don Bouffard sure was a cutie--and also very nice! I always envied his deep blue "Maybelline eyes." He hung around with Scott Riker [[another cutie and nice guy) and Mark Geijsbers [[our 7th grade "class clown" cutie). I remember Father O'Leary asked Mark to define Purgatory, and Mark glibly responded that in Purgatory "they don't let you go to the bathroom for a year." That certainly underwhelmed the good padre...
    Fr. O'Leary taught our class [[67) religion also. Either he was real dedicated or he drew the short straw. I can't imagine teaching religion to a group of 13 and 14 yr olds would be an envialble task even amongst priests.

Fr. O'Leary taught our class [[67) religion also. Either he was real dedicated or he drew the short straw. I can't imagine teaching religion to a group of 13 and 14 yr olds would be an envialble task even amongst priests.
    Father O'Leary survived his danger post with the SJS adolescents and, as far as I know [[sighted in 2008), he's still happily tending the flocks in Harrison Township, L'Anse Cruse and Mount Clemens. Looks great for his age--still slender, boyish of face, silver-haired.

Father O'Leary survived his danger post with the SJS adolescents and, as far as I know [[sighted in 2008), he's still happily tending the flocks in Harrison Township, L'Anse Cruse and Mount Clemens. Looks great for his age--still slender, boyish of face, silver-haired.
    Fr. O'Leary was very serious when it came to teaching religion classes. He wouldn't hesitate in throwing a kid out of class for poor behavior. He commanded your respect and attention. I think that surprised many SJ students at that time. His mild demeanor and Irish charm that most parishioners knew was not the same in the classroom. I saw him last in 1991 in St. Jude's church basment [[during the Golden Jubilee) in line for refreshments. We had a long chat. Before that I saw him in 1981 at a wedding Mass in Southgate. It's good to hear that he is/was tending flocks in the Detroit area recently.
    Last edited by kellyroad; February-24-10 at 08:17 AM.

Any idea which parish he resides? I would love to visit for a mass.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part I, Article 12, III - "The Final Purification, or Purgatory"

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed insured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire.

[As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.]

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in the Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Macabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin". From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God. The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf on the dead:

[Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Le us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.]

I'm trying to decipher what response is more telling of what purgatory actually is.

I'm trying to decipher what response is more telling of what purgatory actually is.
    Thankfully, while we all have the free will to fancy at what we think it may be like or even scoff at the notion it even exists, the centuries old consensus of the Church still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Thankfully, while we all have the free will to fancy at what we think it may be like or even scoff at the notion it even exists, the centuries old consensus of the Church still stands.
    Open question especially to those who have had children recently in a catholic school or cathechism classes: Is there a general consensus of how the concept of purgatory is taught in religion class? At SJ [[during the 60s) purgatory was protrayed as hell except temporary and that on the last day souls would be lifted up to heaven.

Even I knew it was you, Mkap!

It IS incredible, though I don't know why, a class of 50 learned more then than a class of 15 today! With discipline at home and at school - with a fair amount of unrestricted play time in between - it wasn't such a stretch. the "unrestricted" came with the knowing that no matter what block you were playing on, there was a Mom there somewhere that had you under surveillance.

It IS incredible, though I don't know why, a class of 50 learned more then than a class of 15 today! With discipline at home and at school - with a fair amount of unrestricted play time in between - it wasn't such a stretch. the "unrestricted" came with the knowing that no matter what block you were playing on, there was a Mom there somewhere that had you under surveillance.
    Sad to say, we were probably one of the last generations to experience unrestricted outside play: wandering from block to block, alley to alley--day or night--without fear of assault or abduction. Returning home from "when the street lights come on."

It starts and stops in the home.
    If you were good, bad or indifferent at school, it carried back to the home. So you, or at least I, had no choice. Sister ER made sure of it.

Kinda hard to be under surveillance these days from Mom. She is more often at work. Unless you steal someones ATM card and they happen catch your photo on the machine. Big Brother had to take over for her.

Fr. O'Leary was definitely one of my favorites as well as Fr. O'Callahan. I remember our St. Patrick's day pagents for the priests with each class providing an Irish rendition of some sort - and seeing the priests all lined up in the front row of chairs facing the stage!

Fr. O'Leary was definitely one of my favorites as well as Fr. O'Callahan. I remember our St. Patrick's day pagents for the priests with each class providing an Irish rendition of some sort - and seeing the priests all lined up in the front row of chairs facing the stage!
    I remember that, and I can still see the program with the names on it. They had it printed: Fr. O'Leary, Fr. O'Callahan, Fr. O'Grady and Fr. O'ding.

Fr. O'Callahan was one of the most caring, thoughtful, and compassionate priests that I recall at St. Jude. He would visit during family sickness or trying times and listen without seeming rushed. My mom spoke of him fondly decades after he left. Sadly, he became ill at a relatively young age. In fact it was Fr. O'Leary in 1991 that said Fr. O'Callahan was not doing well [[I think he had a stroke).