Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 102 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 112 152 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 6559

Hybrid View

Thanks for the pictures, KellyRoad. So that top building is the replacement for the old Recreation Center? Wow-what an improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, KellyRoad. So that top building is the replacement for the old Recreation Center? Wow-what an improvement!
    The new building is nice. I visited there a couple years ago. The staff couldn't have been more cordial and proud of the new digs. Nice gym, pool, and weight rooms. The pool, although new, was smaller with more stark surroundings [[no windows). The picture below is a familiar one to many who lived in the St. Jude area during the 50s and 60s. Basically, the building you see below was simply added on to with more cinder block and brick to make the enclosed pool and community center you were familiar with.
    Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:03 pm:Heilmann Pool 1966 [[just prior to being enclosed)

Last edited by kellyroad; February-19-10 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I'm kind of surpised that sign is still there. It must be secured well
    That flagpole sign is one of the items I want in my "eastside treasure chest" [[along with the Eastland mouse). Harry Heilmann died only months before the park was dedicated in his name.

If ANYONE has a matchbook from Lums, it's going to be you, Z!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Hmmm....a matchbook duo. interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post

Wow Z, two birds with one stone
    mkap?...

Touche'

Z, probably has match-books all the way to Fisherman's Wharf.

As a matter of fact.

As a matter of fact.
    LMAO..too much Z

As a matter of fact.
    Did you two discuss that beforehand?

As a matter of fact.
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T! Your killing me over here guy.

How about St. Petersburg........................................ ..................... Russia?

Yes, they did ---I remember the huge frosted mugs and the jukeboxes on each wall table.

RIP Mr. Coffman

COFFMAN, ARCHIE L.
    COFFMAN ARCHIE L. Age 88. February 17, 2010. Beloved husband of Patricia. Loving father of Cindy [[Ed) Cohen, John [[Cathy), Mary [[Mike) Lavery-Flynn, Archie [[Herta), David, and Patti [[Jim) Mencotti. Dear grandfather of 12. Dearest great- grandfather of 15. Brother of Helen Baaso, Edith [[Richard) Schoenberg, and the late Hannah, Oliver, and Gordon. Visitation Friday 3-9 p.m. at the D.S. Temrowski & Sons Funeral Home, 30009 Hoover Rd at Common [[12 ½ mile). In state Saturday 9:00 a.m. at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church until the time of the Funeral Mass at 9:30 a.m. Burial with full Military Honors Monday 10:00 a.m. at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly. Memorial contributions may be made to Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Please share memories at www.Temrowski.com

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/o...23&fh_id=10103
    Last edited by zitro; February-19-10 at 09:56 AM.

RIP Mr. Coffman

COFFMAN, ARCHIE L.
    COFFMAN ARCHIE L. Age 88. February 17, 2010. Beloved husband of Patricia. Loving father of Cindy [[Ed) Cohen, John [[Cathy), Mary [[Mike) Lavery-Flynn, Archie [[Herta), David, and Patti [[Jim) Mencotti. Dear grandfather of 12. Dearest great- grandfather of 15. Brother of Helen Baaso, Edith [[Richard) Schoenberg, and the late Hannah, Oliver, and Gordon. Visitation Friday 3-9 p.m. at the D.S. Temrowski & Sons Funeral Home, 30009 Hoover Rd at Common [[12 ½ mile). In state Saturday 9:00 a.m. at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church until the time of the Funeral Mass at 9:30 a.m. Burial with full Military Honors Monday 10:00 a.m. at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly. Memorial contributions may be made to Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Please share memories at www.Temrowski.com

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/o...23&fh_id=10103
    Mr. Coffman was one of St. Jude's first lectors post Vatican II when lay people were allowed on the altar. He frequently lectored at the Masses I attended. His readings were given flawlessly with dignity and passion. May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by kellyroad; February-19-10 at 11:52 AM.

I saw the comments about NDHS. I graduated from ND in 1963 when Omer St Onge was principal, so I recognized a lot of those teachers' names. Most of the names are French is because most of the priests had French-Canadian [[Quebecois) heritage. Even though they had Boston [[area) backgrounds. If any of the ND grads are interested, the "new" Notre Dame High School in Pontiac has "sort of" taken over for the old NDHS in Harper Woods. It has an alumni assoc. and gives out news about the old ND and reunions. An email address is: alumni@ndpma.org

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    I saw the comments about NDHS. I graduated from ND in 1963 when Omer St Onge was principal, so I recognized a lot of those teachers' names. Most of the names are French is because most of the priests had French-Canadian [[Quebecois) heritage. Even though they had Boston [[area) backgrounds. If any of the ND grads are interested, the "new" Notre Dame High School in Pontiac has "sort of" taken over for the old NDHS in Harper Woods. It has an alumni assoc. and gives out news about the old ND and reunions. An email address is: alumni@ndpma.org
    http://www.notredame-hw.com/index.php
    Thanks for the notification. It's nice to see that there still ties to the original NDHS.

I really hate to read that about Mr. Coffman - one of the nicest men anyone would ever meet. I remember him so good as one of the best lectors ever. David was in my class and the whole family was great to know. Rest in peace Mr. Coffman.

Cindy was a '58 classmate of mine. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Cindy was a '58 classmate of mine. May he rest in peace.
    May God rest his dear soul.

kellyroad:

My older brother and sister attended school at The Patronage of St. Joseph parish [[now gone) in the Harper/Van Dyke area. I think my brother finished grade school there. He attended Notre Dame HS and graduated in 1959. Went to his 50th reunion recently. The family moved to the State Fair/Crusade neighborhood [[a.k.a. the "green section" by the SJ parish tithing name) in early 1955. My brother and sister took a couple of DSR daily buses back to the old neighborhood to finish the '55 school year at Patronage. My older sister transferred to SJS, then attended Regina HS, graduating in 1963. I did the Burbank kindergarten thing, then a full eight years at SJS. Regina HS class of 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by bkd4life View Post
    kellyroad:

My older brother and sister attended school at The Patronage of St. Joseph parish [[now gone) in the Harper/Van Dyke area. I think my brother finished grade school there. He attended Notre Dame HS and graduated in 1959. Went to his 50th reunion recently. The family moved to the State Fair/Crusade neighborhood [[a.k.a. the "green section" by the SJ parish tithing name) in early 1955. My brother and sister took a couple of DSR daily buses back to the old neighborhood to finish the '55 school year at Patronage. My older sister transferred to SJS, then attended Regina HS, graduating in 1963. I did the Burbank kindergarten thing, then a full eight years at SJS. Regina HS class of 1972.
    Your older sister was a '63 classmate of my 1st wife [[died in '82, RIP). Ask her if she remembers Jill L.

kellyroad:
    By the way...nice photo of the Church. Does anyone recall the disabled young man who peddled newspapers on the church steps after Sunday Masses? Was he also an SJS student?

Quote Originally Posted by bkd4life View Post
    kellyroad:
    By the way...nice photo of the Church. Does anyone recall the disabled young man who peddled newspapers on the church steps after Sunday Masses? Was he also an SJS student?
    He was a neighbor of mine. His name was Melvin [[Bud) Godmire, I think he graduated class of 63'. His father was a district Freep manager

He was a neighbor of mine. His name was Melvin [[Bud) Godmire, I think he graduated class of 63'. His father was a district Freep manager
    Didn't he sell the papers from the back of a station wagon parked out in front? I picture the tailgate down, and maybe him sitting on that next to a stack of papers. The year, make, model and color of the vehicle escape me at the moment.